ADVERTISEMENT

So when Tech fires Coach Bro next year, who do they hire?

unihorn

MI Miner Maniac
Dec 1, 2007
  1. Kendal Briles
  2. Todd Orlando
  3. Mike Stoops
  4. Chad Morris
  5. Brent Venables
  6. John Chavis
  7. Jake Spavital
  8. Major Applwhite
  9. Sonny Dykes
  10. Sonny Cumbie

That's the one job I don't completely write off Art Briles for. The emergence of TCU and Baylor has really hurt tech's brand. They are desperate to win and will do anything. After two years away Tech may have the cover they need to hire Briles.

The other big question in December, will be how much are the Aggies going to pay bob stoops. I'm thinking around 8 million a year. A five year forty million dollar contract. They have the best facilities in the state and maybe the country, the best attendance in the state but have nothing to show for it. The Aggie donors are desperate to win and will pay whatever necessary to get a "splash hire.

You may be right about Tech's desperation, but I don't think Art will ever coach another college fb game. The damage has been severe and awareness of AB's lack of consideration and compassion for the victims is growing daily, still.

You may be right about Tech's desperation, but I don't think Art will ever coach another college fb game. The damage has been severe and awareness of AB's lack of consideration and compassion for the victims is growing daily, still.

You're probably right. I just read today that the ncaa has an open investigation of Baylor. If Baylor gets any kind of sanctions I think that would kill any future d1 gigs for Briles. As it is his chances are very slim to ever get a head job. Tech would be the only opportunity I could see him getting if Baylor can avoid ncaa penalties. He has history at tech. They have a history of hiring high risk toxic coaches ( bob knight). Muck like UTEP, Tech controls the local media. He would be insulated locally from the negative press that would be prevalent nationally.

And you may well be right about Art Briles. But if there is a possible exception, look at Bobby Petrino who's brand took a severe hit after Arkansas. Of course, he moved on to WKU and that program hasn't looked back. Neither has Petrino. So, in the RIGHT situation at the RIGHT time, Art MIGHT be able to re-start his career with a mid-major and, like Petrino, use it as a stepping stone back to D1. Under the RIGHT circumstances, it COULD be the ultimate win/win situation. Got any mid-major programs in mind needing a severe jump start that might be willing to take a chance? Maybe like after the '17 season?

P.S. Really hate that Kendall Briles is splattered with the same paint as AB, know the guy and he's really stand-up IMO and a brilliant offensive football mind. Who knows, might daddy Briles even take son with him to a certain mid-major program and leave him in place when he moves on after a couple of kick-ass seasons at a mid-major program in severe need of rebuild? A program that is willing to start thinking BIG and willing to spend to get there?

P.S.S. Hope Alex is healing, what a great opportunity for him if he can get healthy...

Last edited:
  1. Kendal Briles
  2. Todd Orlando
  3. Mike Stoops
  4. Chad Morris
  5. Brent Venables
  6. John Chavis
  7. Jake Spavital
  8. Major Applwhite
  9. Sonny Dykes
  10. Sonny Cumbie

Uh, no on Applewhight. First, Tech would need to outspend MA's current employer and that ain't happening, especially if he has the kinda year that would MAKE Tech want a run at him. Second, you think recruiting to El Paso is tough, they don't call 'em the Sand Ags for nothing. Besides, imagine you're trying to recruit kids to Lubbock against your replacement at a program that's staking out the recruiting high ground in one of the richest recruiting areas in the nation...

My guess at Tech would be either Orlando or Dykes. Check that, Tech would be a graveyard for any defensive head coach. Dykes or Morris...

Surprised this guy didn't make anyone's list....

Surprised this guy didn't make anyone's list....

I think Miami really missed an opportunity to hire Kiffin last year instead of richt. I know richt was an alumni but kiffen's swag and persona would have been a homerun at Miami. Kiffins style would work better at the u than richts buttoned up choir boy style. They also could have hired Dan Mullen. Ive yet to understand why a blueblood hasnt hired Dan Mullen. Apparently the guys a jerk but he can flat out coach. Mississippi State is the hardest job in the SEC other than Vandy. Put Mullen in Miami, Baton Rouge, Austin or Gainesville and national championships would follow shortly.

Last edited:
Uh, no on Applewhight. First, Tech would need to outspend MA's current employer and that ain't happening, especially if he has the kinda year that would MAKE Tech want a run at him. Second, you think recruiting to El Paso is tough, they don't call 'em the Sand Ags for nothing. Besides, imagine you're trying to recruit kids to Lubbock against your replacement at a program that's staking out the recruiting high ground in one of the richest recruiting areas in the nation...

My guess at Tech would be either Orlando or Dykes. Check that, Tech would be a graveyard for any defensive head coach. Dykes or Morris...

The problem is Houston is still a g5 job. Houston has lost their last three quality coaches to p 5 jobs. A lot of pressure on applewhite a very manageable schedule and Kyle Allen. I'm convinced if Kevin Sumlin hadnt have totally botched the qb situation at A&M, Kyle Allen would have been the number one pick in this years draft. Right now I would take him over Sam Darnald. Houston is a quality job and they hire quality coaches, but no matter how good a g5 job it won't keep coaches from leaving for p5 jobs.

And you may well be right about Art Briles. But if there is a possible exception, look at Bobby Petrino who's brand took a severe hit after Arkansas. Of course, he moved on to WKU and that program hasn't looked back. Neither has Petrino. So, in the RIGHT situation at the RIGHT time, Art MIGHT be able to re-start his career with a mid-major and, like Petrino, use it as a stepping stone back to D1. Under the RIGHT circumstances, it COULD be the ultimate win/win situation. Got any mid-major programs in mind needing a severe jump start that might be willing to take a chance? Maybe like after the '17 season?

P.S. Really hate that Kendall Briles is splattered with the same paint as AB, know the guy and he's really stand-up IMO and a brilliant offensive football mind. Who knows, might daddy Briles even take son with him to a certain mid-major program and leave him in place when he moves on after a couple of kick-ass seasons at a mid-major program in severe need of rebuild? A program that is willing to start thinking BIG and willing to spend to get there?

P.S.S. Hope Alex is healing, what a great opportunity for him if he can get healthy...

First of all, thanks brutha. Alex is healing up nicely. About 3 weeks ahead of schedule as of now. Should be 90-95% by fall camp.

I think KB will do a good job at FAU and good opportunities will come as a result. Don't even think he needs papa's help/clout anymore. He's got a bright future ahead of him, I believe.

I just can't see anyone taking the publicity hit by hiring Art. There is NO way he is innocent of all he and his staff were accused of. More and more keeps being uncovered and I seriously doubt we've hit the bottom of the pile. I guess time will tell.

Hope all is well with you, man.

What's it's gonna take for the NCAA to move on Baylor FB and MBB!?!

I mean Louisville already got dealt with. The Bliss thing at Baylor should've warranted death penalty years ago!

I'm still waiting on the death penalty for nmNorth Carolina basketball. If 20 years of fake classes, fake degrees and academic fraud doesn't get you the death penalty, I don't know what does.

You're probably right. I just read today that the ncaa has an open investigation of Baylor. If Baylor gets any kind of sanctions I think that would kill any future d1 gigs for Briles. As it is his chances are very slim to ever get a head job. Tech would be the only opportunity I could see him getting if Baylor can avoid ncaa penalties. He has history at tech. They have a history of hiring high risk toxic coaches ( bob knight). Muck like UTEP, Tech controls the local media. He would be insulated locally from the negative press that would be prevalent nationally.

If I ever see Briles roaming the fields of UTEP in any official capacity, I would be saddened by Natalicio's decision. Almost thirty years of hard work, bullshit from internal and external nay say'ers, ugliness all up and down the local media, for what? She is literally an American champion of Mexican/American's and Mexican-American women. Hiring a scum bag like Briles would hurt her legacy.

Now, if he would come forward and say sorry for the deeds he has done and speak out against the underbelly of college sports in the 21st century, especially putting young college women in harms way and not taking their concerns seriously, that's a different story. But he will not do that. He sold his soul to the football gods, just like an up and coming Hollywood actor or actress sells his or her soul to a cult group looking for any edge.

If I ever see Briles roaming the fields of UTEP in any official capacity, I would be saddened by Natalicio's decision. Almost thirty years of hard work, bullshit from internal and external nay say'ers, ugliness all up and down the local media, for what? She is literally an American champion of Mexican/American's and Mexican-American women. Hiring a scum bag like Briles would hurt her legacy.

Now, if he would come forward and say sorry for the deeds he has done and speak out against the underbelly of college sports in the 21st century, especially putting young college women in harms way and not taking their concerns seriously, that's a different story. But he will not do that. He sold his soul to the football gods, just like an up and coming Hollywood actor or actress sells his or her soul to a cult group looking for any edge.

So as long as he apologizes, you're OK with UTEP hiring him?

I agree with the first part of your statement the second part not so much. It would be nice if he took responsibility but I still wouldn't hire him even if he crawled on his knees from Waco to El Paso.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I agree with the first part of your statement the second part not so much. It would be nice if he took responsibility but I still wouldn't hire him even if he crawled on his knees from Waco to El Paso.

Not even the CFL wants Briles.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
That's the one job I don't completely write off Art Briles for. The emergence of TCU and Baylor has really hurt tech's brand. They are desperate to win and will do anything. After two years away Tech may

The other big question in December, will be how much are the Aggies going to pay bob stoops. I'm thinking around 8 million a year. A five year forty million dollar contract. They have the best facilities in the state and maybe the country, the best attendance in the state but have nothing to show for it. The Aggie donors are desperate to win and will pay whatever necessary to get a "splash hire.

Les Miles and chew tobacco up the nose communities are a match made in heaven next season.

Aggies should hire Miles, but they won't. They'll aim higher, and miss, only to settle for less.

The only chances we have a Sumlin is if our new AD is very good friends with him and convinces him to come or Sumlin gets in trouble with the law or something like that.. He is 44-22 in the SEC at A$M, so he will still get offers from P5 schools and upper end mid major schools.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT