ADVERTISEMENT

Some interesting stats tonight...

MineroFanatico

MI Miner Maniac
Sep 11, 2015
Osborne played all 40 minutes. Solid game with 21 and 7 but went 0-7 from deep.

Omega's minutes got cut but shot at a decent clip going 4-6 from the field with 10 and 3.

PT's minutes were cut drastically with only 17 for the game but he was far more productive in limited time with 10 and 6.

Magee struggled, going scoreless. Shared minutes equally with Gilyard, who has come on strong the last couple games. Gilyard with 14, going 9-10 from the stripe.

Willms played 30 minutes...THIRTY, which is an eternity for him. Solid game with 8 and 8, 4 of those being offensive boards.

Wade's minutes are slowly increasing, with 27 mins tonight. Good to see, and well deserved in my opinion. Solid outing with 9 points and 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Touchet, gawd bless his soul, went 0-fer in both points and assists with 2 rebounds in 13 minutes. Gotta produce something more putting in that kind of time on the floor.

Flags had an assist and 1 board in 6 minutes.

No Frazier.

I don't expect anything from this team but still, a win is a win. Glad the Miners pulled it out. It's weird tho...no rhyme or reason to Phil's game planning, subbing, etc...

Omega's minutes got cut but shot at a decent clip going 4-6 from the field with 10 and 3.

PT's minutes were cut drastically with only 17 for the game but he was far more productive in limited time with 10 and 6.

Magee struggled, going scoreless. Shared minutes equally with Gilyard, who has come on strong the last couple games. Gilyard with 14, going 9-10 from the stripe.

Willms played 30 minutes...THIRTY, which is an eternity for him. Solid game with 8 and 8, 4 of those being offensive boards.

Wade's minutes are slowly increasing, with 27 mins tonight. Good to see, and well deserved in my opinion. Solid outing with 9 points and 8 rebounds and 4 blocks.

Touchet, gawd bless his soul, went 0-fer in both points and assists with 2 rebounds in 13 minutes. Gotta produce something more putting in that kind of time on the floor.

No Frazier.

I don't expect anything from this team but still, a win is a win. Glad the Miners pulled it out. It's weird tho...no rhyme or reason to Phil's game planning, subbing, etc...
Didn't watch or listen. I'm on the wagon. Where's Frazier? Another L.O.A.? What about Smith? Just looked at the stats....7 assists, 3-18 3's, gave up 18 pts in 1st half and 50 in the 2nd? Amazing they could get a W.

SO I REPEAT.....WHERE'S FRAZIER ? His name is not mentioned on the website game coverage. Is this more carryover from Floyd's era? Everything is always hush-hush and mysterious. Same ole crap.

Reactions: develman
You'd think a reporter worth his salt would ask coach Johnson since Frazier's return(now two games) why has he played only 6 minutes?
Johnson said he is still getting his legs under him. He brought him in against FAU for a "spark" but it didn't work.

You'd think a reporter worth his salt would ask coach Johnson since Frazier's return(now two games) why has he played only 6 minutes?
It's been asked plenty if times. Sometimes these kids choose to keep things private. The public does NOT need to know everything. Why can't people respect that? Give the kid his privacy, he doesn't care to share his issues with the public, as most of us wouldn't want to either.

Reactions: Cube Jack

No Frazier.

I didn't realize Osborne had played the entire game, but...he is best suited for driving the lane. He just hasn't found his range.

Thomas started strong. He probably had 9 points in the first 5 minutes. But Paul being Paul, he got a bunch of dumb fouls that limited his time.

I think Wilms minutes were ONLY because Ty is hurt and Paul was in foul trouble. (btw Wilms fouled out) Don't get me wrong, I like that he played a lot of minutes. He looked better than normal to me.

Gilyard does drive very well and gets to the line. Good thing he is decent from there. He is still overly dramatic and careless, which is probably why Magee plays the same amount as him. Magee takes care of the ball and doesn't foul needlessly. Gilyard is fun to watch.

Touchet just doesn't make bonehead plays. He's not flashy by any stretch of the imagination, but he is solid. It's easy for us to see that he goes 0-4 from the field, but not obvious when Osborne goes 7-16 and 21 points. Or when Omega goes O fer.

Something that really stood out to me last night was how Omega is a leader. He may not be impressing us in the stats, but he is leading these youngins.

Anyone else notice we played a triangle and 2 defense most of the game? Still, 3 guys got damn near all their points.

The more I watch, the more I see our staff not having a clue in regards to rotation.

The burrito was delicious and I still don't have a T for 3! WTH???

It's been asked plenty if times. Sometimes these kids choose to keep things private. The public does NOT need to know everything. Why can't people respect that? Give the kid his privacy, he doesn't care to share his issues with the public, as most of us wouldn't want to either.
I still have no answer!!! For those of you who either attended or watched; was he there on the bench or not?

I still have no answer!!! For those of you who either attended or watched; was he there on the bench or not?
Yes, Frazier was there and was suited out to play, but didn’t. In the first half when Omega and Thomas had the two fouls and sat out, I thought for sure Johnson would put Frazier in, but he didn’t. The team that was in actually held their own.

I didn't realize Osborne had played the entire game, but...he is best suited for driving the lane. He just hasn't found his range.

Thomas started strong. He probably had 9 points in the first 5 minutes. But Paul being Paul, he got a bunch of dumb fouls that limited his time.

I think Wilms minutes were ONLY because Ty is hurt and Paul was in foul trouble. (btw Wilms fouled out) Don't get me wrong, I like that he played a lot of minutes. He looked better than normal to me.

Gilyard does drive very well and gets to the line. Good thing he is decent from there. He is still overly dramatic and careless, which is probably why Magee plays the same amount as him. Magee takes care of the ball and doesn't foul needlessly. Gilyard is fun to watch.

Touchet just doesn't make bonehead plays. He's not flashy by any stretch of the imagination, but he is solid. It's easy for us to see that he goes 0-4 from the field, but not obvious when Osborne goes 7-16 and 21 points. Or when Omega goes O fer.

Something that really stood out to me last night was how Omega is a leader. He may not be impressing us in the stats, but he is leading these youngins.

Anyone else notice we played a triangle and 2 defense most of the game? Still, 3 guys got damn near all their points.

The more I watch, the more I see our staff not having a clue in regards to rotation.

Very well said! I agree with all of this.

I have noticed that Osborne fades sideways on his 3-point attempts a lot. When he is lined up he shoots them well. He drove to the basket hard and frequently in the second half. He wants to dunk on people so I hope he keeps it up.

Also, the 3 guys that scored all their points last night were not their 3 leaders scorers on the season.

Johnson said he is still getting his legs under him. He brought him in against FAU for a "spark" but it didn't work.

Wait...this was literally Johnson's response to why Frazier didn't play?

First of all, I agree with develman that KF was only gone 9 days and how much could've been lost in that short amount of time with a finely tuned college athlete?

And second, doesn't one get their legs back by getting some court time, however minimal it may be?

No way Johnson even gets a sniff at the hc job. He is an idiot!

Wait...this was literally Johnson's response to why Frazier didn't play?

First of all, I agree with develman that KF was only gone 9 days and how much could've been lost in that short amount of time with a finely tuned college athlete?

And second, doesn't one get their legs back by getting some court time, however minimal it may be?

No way Johnson even gets a sniff at the hc job. He is an idiot!
Regarding Frazier, that was what Johnson said after Thursday nights game. It didn’t make sense to me either.

Reactions: axingfools1
I didn't catch how long Tirus Smith is expected to be out. Anything mentioned on that?

One of those blocking fouls on Wilms was ridiculous. The guy literally dropped and bumped his shoulder into Wilms, but the ref called that on our guy.

I can get you a shirt. Just let me know where you'll be next game.

I do think that Johnson will get a hard look at HC. He was dealt an awful hand by TF leaving and having to clean up the mess. With so many newcomers, I think he will need a year or two to get things going in the right direction. He is NOT an idiot, like some of you posted. He is a proven HC. If he can retain most of the players on the roster, I then hope he gets the position. I think Senter will make the right choice.

Just from what I’ve seen from Senter and the football staff you can tell Johnson is still old school. He’s cut from that Tim Floyd cloth, just a bunch of yelling and a sort of “get off my lawn!” mentality. The more I look at the AD and the football staff that’s not what the new athletics department is about.

Just from what I’ve seen from Senter and the football staff you can tell Johnson is still old school. He’s cut from that Tim Floyd cloth, just a bunch of yelling and a sort of “get off my lawn!” mentality. The more I look at the AD and the football staff that’s not what the new athletics department is about.
I agree just the fact they hired a position director of player development/high school relations Barrick Nealy, not on the last staff is some proof of that.

I do think that Johnson will get a hard look at HC. He was dealt an awful hand by TF leaving and having to clean up the mess. With so many newcomers, I think he will need a year or two to get things going in the right direction. He is NOT an idiot, like some of you posted. He is a proven HC. If he can retain most of the players on the roster, I then hope he gets the position. I think Senter will make the right choice.

Proven head coach? Oh boy! He is 36-88 as a head coach. Meaning he wins a whopping 1 out of every 3 games he coaches. I realize standards are kind of low in Minerland currently, and to each their own, but I think I want a better and more "proven HC".

He is a proven HC. If he can retain most of the players on the roster, I then hope he gets the position. I think Senter will make the right choice.

First of all, you saying he's a proven head coach is just laughable.

Unless UTEP makes the Big Dance, Johnson should not be getting an interview.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
If the kids want to stay and play for CJ, I think he should get a shot. I think they need experience and they need work. I feel like CJ can surrround himself with capable assistants. These kids will become men in a couple years.

First of all, you saying he's a proven head coach is just laughable.

Unless UTEP makes the Big Dance, Johnson should not be getting an interview.
The big dance is a gauge for the fan. Senter would not have hired Dimel if he based his past record or bowl record. He would be an idiot if he based his decision on giving CJ an interview only on being able to make the big dance. Ridiculous!

If the kids want to stay and play for CJ, I think he should get a shot. I think they need experience and they need work. I feel like CJ can surrround himself with capable assistants. These kids will become men in a couple years.

You mean PJ?

You never stated any qualifications.

The big dance is a gauge for the fan. Senter would not have hired Dimel if he based his past record or bowl record. He would be an idiot if he based his decision on giving CJ an interview only on being able to make the big dance. Ridiculous!

No, the Big Dance is a gauge for everything. That's why teams play- to make the Big Dance!

Not sure why you think it is ridiculous to not judge a coach by making the Big Dance.

You mean PJ?

You never stated any qualifications.
No, I meant Coach Johnson, aka CJ. If you need qualifications for CJ, then you need to Wikipedia them. They are well known amongst MINER fans. Ignore feature hopefully works. Meant only for Bob.

No, I meant Coach Johnson, aka CJ. If you need qualifications for CJ, then you need to Wikipedia them. They are well known amongst MINER fans. Ignore feature hopefully works. Meant only for Bob.

lol Very confusing to refer to him as CJ.

I did a wikipedia search for Phil. He is currently 36-88 as a head coach and his best finish was 6th place.

One of those blocking fouls on Wilms was ridiculous. The guy literally dropped and bumped his shoulder into Wilms, but the ref called that on our guy.

I can get you a shirt. Just let me know where you'll be next game.

I know exactly the foul you are referring to, and it was absolutely ridiculous..Sometimes I seriously wonder if the refs hate our coaching staff that much.

"Someone" says I brag about where I sit, so how can I let you know? It would be for my 5 year old. He would love it if they could toss it to him. He's also a huge cheerleader/flag fan. Runs around the yard with a homemade flag yelling U.....T.....E.....P.....He was stoked that he got to talk to paydirt pete Saturday. Yeah....he's a Miner Nerd. :D

I know exactly the foul you are referring to, and it was absolutely ridiculous..Sometimes I seriously wonder if the refs hate our coaching staff that much.

"Someone" says I brag about wherenoth I sit, so how can I let you know? It would be for my 5 year old. He would love it if they could toss it to him. He's also a huge cheerleader/flag fan. Runs around the yard with a homemade flag yelling U.....T.....E.....P.....He was stoked that he got to talk to paydirt pete Saturday. Yeah....he's a Miner Nerd. :D
nothing wrong with that, just hope has he gets older he has something to be proud about. No like our current fans, one day we will overcome.
Go miners

Reactions: El Paso 777
nothing wrong with that, just hope has he gets older he has something to be proud about. No like our current fans, one day we will overcome.
Go miners

It's crazy to think that the last time the men's basketball team has been really good was 2009-2010. I am glad I went to school when the teams played well and played good teams. I remember the sellouts and the large crowds at most games during those times.

It's unfortunate how far the team has fallen since then and the quality of opponents they are playing.

It just seems to me that UTEP is very far from not only making the Big Dance, but actually winning a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rot and Dmanminer
I know exactly the foul you are referring to, and it was absolutely ridiculous..Sometimes I seriously wonder if the refs hate our coaching staff that much...

I can't remember the refs name but there is a CUSA ref who needs to be removed from any CUSA game with UTEP in it. Teich and Yellen have diplomatically and kindly pointed out his consistent and continuous bad calls time from time. This, IMO, is directly related to Phil. He tends to throw pot shots at the refs and they obviously return the favor. I honestly believe last years game against ODU that had Wilms tip in the game winning shot with two tenths of second was a "Right back at you UTEP (coaching staff). The feeling is mutual" call against Floyd and Johnson; whereas Saturday's game the exact same thing happened in the first half and the refs counted it immediately.

Senter knows the basketball program needs a fresh start. Johnson’s days are numbered here.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT