ADVERTISEMENT

Somehow We Avoided The Bottom 10. NMSU Did Not😂

Unfortunately I do, for a few reasons. During last year’s win over UNM, UTEP had only three points scored late in the third quarter and was trailing UNM despite a monster game from Cowing. This tells me the two teams are pretty evenly matched with respect to talent. UTEP could have easily lost that game if it weren’t for a fourth quarter UTEP comeback.

UMNs defensive coordinator, Rocky Long, is one of the nation’s best defensive coordinators and always makes it difficult for UTEP offenses to score. When you have Longs D going against Dimel’s O, who are you going to favor?

Also, most people don’t realize how terrible Dimel’s offense really is. Last year UTEP had the sixth EASIEST schedule in all FBS, yet they had one of the WORST offenses in terms of scoring. If your offense doesn’t score you don’t win, period. I don’t care about passing yards, rushing yards, or time of possession, if they don’t translate to points on the scoreboard they are meaningless statistics.

Unfortunately UTEP has an incompetent and stubborn offensive coach who has coached rpo offense’s almost his entire career who is attempting to implement and call a prostyle offense. It’s obvious to me he doesn’t know what he is doing and his decision to run the offense is this teams achilles heel. How else do explain 13 points against UNT at home with no in-game adjustments (again) with months and months to prepare?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I do, for a few reasons. During last year’s win over UNM, UTEP had only three points scored late in the third quarter and was trailing UNM despite a monster game from Cowing. This tells me the two teams are pretty evenly matched with respect to talent. UTEP could have easily lost that game if it weren’t for a fourth quarter UTEP comeback.

UMNs defensive coordinator, Rocky Long, is one of the nation’s best defensive coordinators and always makes it difficult for UTEP offenses to score. When you have Longs D going against Dimel’s O, who are you going to favor?

Also, most people don’t realize how terrible Dimel’s offense really is. Last year UTEP had the sixth EASIEST schedule in all FBS, yet they had one of the WORST offenses in terms of scoring. If your offense doesn’t score you don’t win, period. I don’t care about passing yards, rushing yards, or time of possession, if they don’t translate to points on the scoreboard they are meaningless statistics.

Unfortunately UTEP has an incompetent and stubborn offensive coach who has coached rpo offense’s almost his entire career who is attempting to implement and call a prostyle offense. It’s obvious to me he doesn’t know what he is doing and his decision to run the offense is this teams achilles heel. How else do explain 13 points against UNT at home with no in-game adjustments (again) with months and months to prepare?
Man that is some Detailed analysis. Can’t disagree with any of it

Reactions: TxRdKiller
Took Rocky Long 5 years to get UNM turned around and had some relative success at SDSU.

Both coaches are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One wants to be methodical, the other is a head hunter. I am not saying one is better than the other. What I am saying is Dimel, based on his mid major history up until last week can't get it done. Long's resume says another.

But, it's Long's first year and they are not his players, but he can players to over achieve. Why Long is not prowling on the sidelines as a d coordinator for a P5 school is mystifying?

• Haha
Reactions: denverutep
Dimel’s head coaching record is trash compared to Long’s. While head coach at UNM from 1998-2008, Longs MWC record was 40-38 including five bowl appearances. His head coaching success at SDSU is superb. You can’t compare the two.

Took Rocky Long 5 years to get UNM turned around and had some relative success at SDSU.

Both coaches are at opposite ends of the spectrum. One wants to be methodical, the other is a head hunter. I am not saying one is better than the other. What I am saying is Dimel, based on his mid major history up until last week can't get it done. Long's resume says another.

But, it's Long's first year and they are not his players, but he can players to over achieve. Why Long is not prowling on the sidelines as a d coordinator for a P5 school is mystifying?

Relative success at SDSU? He went to 9 bowl games in 9 years and was 81-38. That's relative success to you? You're really saying Long isn't better than Dimel?

What do you mean it is Long's first year?

Reactions: FedupMiner
Rocky Long is the best coach in UNM history and the best coach in SDSU history. His resume speaks for itself. On his best day Dimel can't carry Long's jock.

• Haha
Rocky Long is the best coach in UNM history and the best coach in SDSU history. His resume speaks for itself. On his best day Dimel can't carry Long's jock.
What did he do at UNM that was so great ? I looked at his record earlier. Not overly impressive. My hunch is Dave Bliss was the main attraction on campus in those days

What did he do at UNM that was so great ? I looked at his record earlier. Not overly impressive. My hunch is Dave Bliss was the main attraction on campus in those days

He had a stretch where UNM went to bowl games in 5/6 years. It's "impressive" by UNM standards. At UTEP you get an extension just making one bowl game!

Reactions: MinerFan79
Aggies had 90 yards total offense last night vs Minnesota. Not good.

Let's see if the Miners can match that tomorrow vs Oklahoma.

His defense was great. I
This is bonus money improvement IMO.

“The Lobo defense made huge strides in 2021, ranking 44th overall in total defense, a 57-spot improvement from 2020. Overall, UNM allowed 363.1 yards per game, and that was the lowest total in 13 seasons, since the 2008 team allowed 335.8 yards per game. UNM ranked 44th overall, and the 2008 team ranked 45th. The 2021 teams’ ranking was the best since 2007, when UNM ranked 13th in total defense at 319.9 yards per game.”https://golobos.com/coach/rocky-long/

You are aware the UTEP v NMSU game will be the “Pillow fight of the week”?

Im a UTEP fan for life, but I'm sorry I hope we get so embarrassed that Senter and Dimel get dropped. I'm soooo tired of our piss poor product on the field.
That would be fine if it worked that way but it wouldn't. It would just be another in a long list of embarressing losses and Dimel would still be here for a couple more years. So with that in mind, I hope UTEP makes a respectable showing and ends up bowl eligible, heads to the Hawaii Bowl to eek out a win over San Jose State.

Im a UTEP fan for life, but I'm sorry I hope we get so embarrassed that Senter and Dimel get dropped. I'm soooo tired of our piss poor product on the field.
Even if we get our ass kicked, Senter will believe it is expected, so he will do nothing.
If it’s close and we have a chance (no way in hell) he will extend Dismel until his end of life.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT