ADVERTISEMENT

Someone on football staff needs to go

We know the money says Dimmel won’t be fired but it says a lot when we’re asking for the head coach’s scalp 1 1/2 years in.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I think that we need players that care more about the program than any die hard fan on this board. Sometimes I feel that there are too many players that won’t do what it takes to improve.
Yup so many sloppy penalties and mistakes, feels like these players don't care sometimes

Given the fact that the whole redshirt/grayshirt thing means that it takes forever for a new football coach's own players to get on the field, I typically believe that a coach should be given at least four years to prove himself. However, the problems with this year's Miner team go beyond a lack of talent. Everyone has pointed these problems out: a lack of discipline, as shown by the plethora of penalties; poor clock management at the end of the first half and the game; a lack of urgency when trailing in the second half; and unimaginative play calling. These are all things that a coaching staff should have some control over, no matter what the talent. I hate to break my own rule of thumb, but this staff has to go.

Given the fact that the whole redshirt/grayshirt thing means that it takes forever for a new football coach's own players to get on the field, I typically believe that a coach should be given at least four years to prove himself. However, the problems with this year's Miner team go beyond a lack of talent. Everyone has pointed these problems out: a lack of discipline, as shown by the plethora of penalties; poor clock management at the end of the first half and the game; a lack of urgency when trailing in the second half; and unimaginative play calling. These are all things that a coaching staff should have some control over, no matter what the talent. I hate to break my own rule of thumb, but this staff has to go.
Exactly. And there is no reason for another coach to not be able to bring in some three star players. The expectations have been set so low at UTEP that bringing in three star guys has become the exception rather than the expectation.

What I blame Dimel is for bringing in the trash OC he brought in. Also these are for the most part not Dimels players. However the penalties and mistakes are ridiculous. I don't know if Dimel's team will actually be any better with all his players, but a coach has to get at least 3 years.

At this moment, I see Dimel’s time at UTEP looking similar to his time at Houston. He will struggle to win, but might leave a decent foundation for the next guy. The sad thing is, at this moment this appears to be a best case scenario.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
Like a lot of people I am hard pressed to believe this team is improving. These last couple of years this football program is shoving 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag and I think we’re all nearing our tipping point. I don’t blame casual fans for not attending football games, nor do I blame them for refusing to donate to the athletic department.

These last 3 years it’s possible we’ve seen the worst football in program history.

Like a lot of people I am hard pressed to believe this team is improving. These last couple of years this football program is shoving 10 pounds of crap in a 5 pound bag and I think we’re all nearing our tipping point. I don’t blame casual fans for not attending football games, nor do I blame them for refusing to donate to the athletic department.

These last 3 years it’s possible we’ve seen the worst football in program history.
Not a defense of Dimmel at all, but before Price, UTEP used to lose 50-7 every week. So, this football is bad, but it's been worse.

Im not a coach or anything.I think its a no brainer when two of the QBS are losing games and not playing well. I think 99% of coaches would make a QB change. Dimel or Canales is that 1%.

Reactions: picks up
Not a defense of Dimmel at all, but before Price, UTEP used to lose 50-7 every week. So, this football is bad, but it's been worse.

I lived through those days too, but they can’t even win 2 games a season, which was what Nord did.

The last 3 year stretch has been the worst Miner football I’ve ever seen.

This team is horrible. There is no other way to spin it.

I have been watching UTEP football a long time and I don’t think I have ever seen a UTEP football team that jaws/pushes/shoves after the whistle as much as this team does.....and the consistent amount of penalties backs-up this observation.

I wrote about this a lot after the UTSA game and I thought that we would see marked improvement after two weeks for our coaching staff to make this an important issue. Instead, even by only seeing what the cameras caught on TV, we could still see that this had not become an important issue to our team. We were still acting like idiots after the whistle time and time again, including more personal foul penalties tonight and yet another late hit after making a first down.

After the show, Teich mentioned how UTEP was actually good in regards to penalties in Dimel’s first year, yet the longer that we have been under Dimel’s program....the worst discipline our team has played with. I can live with the losses at this point, I could live with getting beaten by better talent, but this consistent lack of discipline is a program and coaching issue that I don’t wish to support.

I have been watching UTEP football a long time and I don’t think I have ever seen a UTEP football team that jaws/pushes/shoves after the whistle as much as this team does.....and the consistent amount of penalties backs-up this observation.

I wrote about this a lot after the UTSA game and I thought that we would see marked improvement after two weeks for our coaching staff to make this an important issue. Instead, even by only seeing what the cameras caught on TV, we could still see that this had not become an important issue to our team. We were still acting like idiots after the whistle time and time again, including more personal foul penalties tonight and yet another late hit after making a first down.

After the show, Teich mentioned how UTEP was actually good in regards to penalties in Dimel’s first year, yet the longer that we have been under Dimel’s program....the worst discipline our team has played with. I can live with the losses at this point, I could live with getting beaten by better talent, but this consistent lack of discipline is a program and coaching issue that I don’t wish to support.
Miners trying to be Cowboys

We know the money says Dimmel won’t be fired but it says a lot when we’re asking for the head coach’s scalp 1 1/2 years in.
At the very least the OC has to go. He recruited Locksley who was the JC offensive player of the year before he came to UTEP. Here is a portion of his bio:
PRIOR TO UTEP: Named the 2017 Spalding® NJCAA Offensive Player of the Year and earned first-team All-America honors following a stellar sophomore season … guided the Reivers to an 11-1 overall record and a victory in The Graphic Edge Bowl … accounted for 40 total touchdowns in 2017 … threw for 2,238 yards on 176-of-265 passing (66.4 percent) with 20 passing scores and only six interceptions … rushed for 705 yards on 112 attempts (6.3 avg.) and a team-best 20 rushing scores

Now his td to int ratio is upside down and his completion percentage is way down. His coach at UTEP is the OC. A change is very much needed. Canales is very likeable but his results are not.

Last edited:
Charlotte 2-5. Rice 0-7. NMSU 0-7. But we're awful, so we'll see. Those teams have us circled on their schedule too.
Aside from penalties, will we have a new QB or play caller for these games? We MUST win a few of these games for the players to have hope next year.

Dimel needs to be on a short leash, and if he can't win at least one more game this season, he needs to go. This football program can't afford another Kugler like disaster, and we appear to be headed down that road with Dimel.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Aside from penalties, will we have a new QB or play caller for these games? We MUST win a few of these games for the players to have hope next year.
I've heard the cavalry is coming in the form of the Redshirts. Guys who can play now, buy who Dimmel in his wisdom is Redshirting and not playing until the last 4 games, so we can finish in the Top 25 when they're all 5th Year Seniors.

Reactions: NYCMiner
I've heard the cavalry is coming in the form of the Redshirts. Guys who can play now, buy who Dimmel in his wisdom is Redshirting and not playing until the last 4 games, so we can finish in the Top 25 when they're all 5th Year Seniors.

Ha. If I thought there was even a remote possibility of that happening, I’d give Dimel the time he needs. What’s sacrificing another 2-3 years to have that magical season we would all remember and be talking for the next several decades?

I just don't have that kind of faith in Dimel, tho.

We all hope this is true. Do you think that in all his wisdom he is holding back his real offense and team discipline too?

Reactions: minermx07
Dimel needs to be on a short leash, and if he can't win at least one more game this season, he needs to go. This football program can't afford another Kugler like disaster, and we appear to be headed down that road with Dimel.
Agree, but don't agree. Dimel should win at least one or 2 more games against 3 crappy teams you're correct. However the recruiting under Dimel has been notably better than Kugler. However 75 percent of Kuglers players are still on the team. Now will Dimel do anything with these recruits, who knows I think until year 3, but they are better overall players than Kugler.

Agree, but don't agree. Dimel should win at least one or 2 more games against 3 crappy teams you're correct. However the recruiting under Dimel has been notably better than Kugler. However 75 percent of Kuglers players are still on the team. Now will Dimel do anything with these recruits, who knows I think until year 3, but they are better overall players than Kugler.

I would caution judging recruiting based on stars. The analyst put alot of time evaluating 4 and 5 star guys. The difference between three and zero star guys is negligible. The best recent recruiting classes were the last three by Gary Nord. Those classes ended up being as talented as any g5 classes those years. They were rated at the bottom of the WAC. Kugler's first two classes were stellar. They ranked at the bottom of CUSA. Kugler's tenure turned when he changed coordinators. Hopefully Dimel's recruits develop into great players and their rankings are vindicated. There is nothing in his background to lead me to believe that Dimel knows how to develop players.

If you look at UTEP’s statistics last year vs this year they are pretty much identical offensively and a little worse defensively. The main difference is the penalties, they are committing way more this year.

Reactions: utep-piggy
This schedule was set up for at least four wins. We host RICE, UTSA, HBU, Charlotte, and travel down the road to NMSU. We can’t schedule anyone easier than that cuz that’s already the bottom of the barrel. The season is already a disappointment. Next year doesn’t look good either. We’re not going to magically get better just because it’s year 3. At this point looking over the 2020 schedule I can’t find more than one win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT