ADVERTISEMENT

Sort of OT: National anthem protest planned for UTEP/ODU game

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
Don't shoot the messenger I pulled if from EPTimes.com.

Not that anyone gives a shat, but my father fought in Vietnam and assisted foreign governments fight South American terrorists in the 60's, so I will never do it, but then again, I have never endured living in the burrows, wards (aka-"Barrios"), or other economically distressed neighborhoods with social challenges.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...al-anthem-protest-planned-utep-game/92341140/

This gives me a reason to go to the game, stand, remove my hat, look at the flag, put my right hand on my heart, and sing the national anthem loudly and proudly (I know the words).
Wish I could be there to do the same.

On the other hand, maybe the football fans in attendance, if there are any, can co-opt this demonstration and use it as a burr under the saddle of UTEP's admin to get the athletic department in order. You know, kind of " we are kneeling in protest to all the losing in FB and mediocrity in MBB". "We want change now!"

Reactions: unihorn
Unfortunately a lot of people use "I grew up in the hood/barrio" to make an excuse for their failures. I grew up in Juarez with my grandmother than in El Segundo barrio. I saw
my friends doing drugs, quick school and just kick back. I used to go to hatch and pick
up chile on the fields. I got tired of being out there in the cold/heat, I thought that I could
do much better. I finished high school and decided to join the Navy. After 20
years I came back and got my bachelor's degree.

It is up to us to make the best out of what life has to offer. The problem that
I see is laziness. Everyone wants the good pay and good jobs but they refuse to do
their homework. We always blame the person next to us.

I would also stand up and sing as loud as I could. Not only did I gave 20 years of my life to this great nation but lost some good friends fighting for us.

I recently completed five graduate courses at UTEP. One of the professors I encountered is literally a communist who tries to brainwash his students about what a racist, imperialist, rigged, etc., etc. country the U.S. is. He's always involved in protests like this one.

The irony is this guy is an immigrant who is now a tenured professor with all the rights and privileges to do or say whatever he wants, while shagging coeds.

The U.S. has been pretty damn good to him, so why does he hate it?

Reactions: UTEP05
One "Barrio" does not equal all "barrios". Life is not that simple. Besides, that's not what these protests are about. They are a tool to bring attention to the very real continued unequal treatment of some law enforcement towards minorities, mostly towards African Americans. There's no denying it's there and one is one too many. This country affords individuals the right to this form of free speech, whether we agree with or not. I can dig that. Personally, my Dad, and his 6 brothers and 3 sisters all served in different branches of the military, as did my grandfather. Therefore I would never disrespect their sacrifice with this form of protest. I would remind those who would direct any vocal or other form of protest, towards those protesting the anthem during the anthem, are disrespecting the anthem themselves too. As much as I wanted to take video of the flyover during the anthem at the Army game, I didn't, out of respect for the anthem. I see people gabbing, laughing, selfing, leaving their hats on, among other things during the anthem at all events. To me, that's every bit disrespectful as not standing. So stand, remove your hats, place it over your hearts and honor the flag, and the country that allows others the freedom to protest injustices. My two cents.

Reactions: miner1liner
They have the right to protest whatever they want however they want.

But to direct the protest at the country as a whole is misdirected, I think.

Direct it at the cities that have shown a pattern of police misconduct with little or no effort to reform.

People always need something to blame their poor life choices on instead of taking accountability!!! I didn't Fail that test ( partying all night) that teacher hates me!! I shouldn't have gotten a ticket that cop is racist (doing 95 mph)

Unfortunately a lot of people use "I grew up in the hood/barrio" to make an excuse for their failures. I grew up in Juarez with my grandmother than in El Segundo barrio. I saw
my friends doing drugs, quick school and just kick back. I used to go to hatch and pick
up chile on the fields. I got tired of being out there in the cold/heat, I thought that I could
do much better. I finished high school and decided to join the Navy. After 20
years I came back and got my bachelor's degree.

It is up to us to make the best out of what life has to offer. The problem that
I see is laziness. Everyone wants the good pay and good jobs but they refuse to do
their homework. We always blame the person next to us.

I would also stand up and sing as loud as I could. Not only did I gave 20 years of my life to this great nation but lost some good friends fighting for us.

U.S. military has been, and for the foreseeable future will be, the biggest (and most common viable) option for upward social mobility for our citizenry (immigrant or later generation).

"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. My sons ought to study mathematics and philosophy, geography, natural history, naval architecture, navigation, commerce, and agriculture, in order to give their children a right to study painting, poetry, music, architecture, statuary, tapestry, and porcelain"-John Adam; U.S. Diplomat and Politician

Reactions: allminer
People always need something to blame their poor life choices on instead of taking accountability!!! I didn't Fail that test ( partying all night) that teacher hates me!! I shouldn't have gotten a ticket that cop is racist (doing 95 mph)

Again, you're not getting the point of the protests. It doesn't matter if its a successful African American lawyer driving a Lexus in a well to do neighborhood or a gangsta looking African American walking in a plighted one. Neither deserves the presumption of complicity simply on the basis of color. Thats the cold hard truth. It's happened, continues to happen, and now with unfortunate consequences too often to both parties involved. Patting oneself on the back and saying, well just be like me, is like trying to sweep the issue under the rug.

whites made up 50 percent of the 987 fatal police shootings, and blacks, 26 percent.

So why is this an African American problem and not an all race issue ?? Why are African American problems more important than any others?? Black lives matter is as racist as it gets and I don't understand why people can't see tgat

I don't have the time but all these protests began with the police shootings....

Where is the outrage when a black person kills a white person? Very few media outlets report that. When a white person kills a black person it is all over the news.

Reactions: CubsFan81
According to 2010 census, El Paso was just under 15% white. So 85% other races about 80% Hispanic.

And these liberal students are going to protest the mistreatment of minorities. I know it's tough being a minority in a city like El Paso, but at what percent are they no longer the minority?

Bowie High should protest, they must be 99% minority.

He can "protest" anyway he wants. That's his right in this great country.
But...
I fail to see how Kapernick has ANY clue what's it's like to be judged based on race. If he really wants to make a difference, go to those neighborhoods and donate time and money. Help start programs to help what he "thinks" is the problem. Do it to make a change, not because it's your only way to get on tv because you suck as a qb now.
Being a disrespectful, RICH, entitled ass does nothing to address what he perceives to be the problem in America. I'm fairly certain NO ONE in this country said "oh look, kapernick is kneeling. We better go fix it"

While I personally don't have a clue what it's like to live in a real hood, being stopped because of the color of my skin, or been turned down for school/job because of who I am, I just wonder how much of the shootings/killings could be prevented if folks would just cooperate with police instead of the attitude of "you ain't my boss. I ain't gotta listen to no body". ALL LIVES MATTER. But I will say this, if the cop thinks you might be pulling out a weapon, I'm with him. I'd shoot you too.

As UTEP fan1966 sez:

ALL LIVES MATTER. But I will say this, if the cop thinks you might be pulling out a weapon, I'm with him. I'd shoot you too.

a lot of tough love being spread around here ...

from Hollywood ...... remember those words from UTEPfan1966 when it happens to you.

That wouldn't happen to me because I'm not stupid enough to pull out a weapon in front of a cop or have the cop even have any suspicion that I am taking out a weapon.

Why leave it up for interpretation, Hollywood? To be safe, I wouldn't do any sudden movements, reach for something unannounced, or give attitude. That's just me. And because of that, I will bet it won't happen to me. K? K.

Was Donald Trump saying 'Bad Hombre' racist?

I don't think it was, but lots of people were offended.

Racism is an over used word. Minority is a misuderstood word. In El Paso if you are Anglo you are a minority. In many parts of the country Blacks are not the minority. In El Paso the majority of police officers are Hispanic, which is reflective of the community they police. There is an understanding of the community and the culture. In communities that are heavily populated by Blacks, the majority of the officers working those areas are not Black. There is a very small percentage of Black police officers in this country. Why is that? Is the Black community so hateful towards the police they refuse to work in this profession? Instead of protesting put on the uniform and work in your community. Lead by example, help inspire change in attitudes on both sides. Kneeling during the National Anthem will not change anything. It causes division which is the root of the problem. We are all Americans first and foremost. We should never forget what was sacrificed by the thousands of men and women that we have lost while fighting for our way of life. What needs to happen is instead of finger pointing we need to take accountability for our actions. That includes the police. If you point a gun or some other object at a police officer expect to get shot. If the officer shoots someone who has their hands up, then they should expect to be held accountable for their misuse of force. Officers are forced to make split second decisions on a daily basis. 99% of the officers do not want to shoot anyone. 1% of the officers in this country should not work in this profession. So do the math, 1 out of every 100 officers probably have some kind of issue that should eliminate them from police work. For every 100,000 officers, 1000 are not worthy of wearing the uniform. 1% doesn't sound like a lot but that 1% is what the other 99% are being judged by. Tell me what profession has 100% professional employees? There isn't one. The point is as humans mistakes are made. Some are intentional some are truely tragic accidents. The vast majority of police officers try to do the right thing, but unfortunantely if you happen to meet one of those officers that fall into the 1% category most likely your experience won't be a positive one. The police departments across the country need to do a better job of dismissing officers who have a history of abuse before they take someone's life. A hard working cop doen't need to abuse his authority to get the job done. America needs to become color blind and come together. Stop judging, stop assuming, stop hating. We need to work together to make things right. We need to work together. Divided we fall.

I've always respected the law. Have never wanted much to do with them. But have always been glad they are around to stabilize society. I don't really know any police officers that I can think of off hand.

But...

In my estimation, law enforcement has got to be about the hardest job around these days...for those who are here to actually serve and protect.

DaMinerMan, that is exactly the kind of conversation that needs to be taking place between all civilians and law enforcement across the country. Well said, maybe the kneeling has had an effect? One conversation at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
I seriously wonder if any of these supposed protestors have ever attended a game. The student section was almost empty for the last two games. So I'm guessing the 10 protestors who show up will go unnoticed and will stand up midway through since they'll be in the stands kneeling on concrete. Also, I'm guessing they don't realize there isn't a lot of space in the row. They'll probably try to land free tickets, then will leave after the anthem since they know zero about football.

I keep seeing comments on Facebook regarding the football team -- if you're a regular at the games you know the team isn't even on the field when the anthem plays.

Freedom of speech. Their choice to protest which is what makes this country great. If you don't like it that's your choice also. See where I'm going with this......

Reactions: develman
Freedom of speech. Their choice to protest which is what makes this country great. If you don't like it that's your choice also. See where I'm going with this......

The sad part is they probably don't even know what they're protesting.

So much for the big protest. Kudos to all the people that held up flags during the national anthem.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT