ADVERTISEMENT

Stick a fork in it, it's done! UAB football on 6/1 will declared done

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
"If an email can sound ominous, the rather important one UAB issued Wednesday above the signature of President Ray Watts did......It suggested that the new D-Day could be just as much of a punch in the gut as Dec. 2. Minus any awkward personal appearances.

This email told us how the final word on the three programs will come down: "This announcement will be made via our website, social media channels and by email."
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/ominous_signs_concerning_uabs.html
-ddf4a9f3bbeef38b.JPG

UAB Prsident Ray Watts is led through an angry mob by Birmingham and UAB Police;

I cant lip read but doesn't it look like the guy in the blue shirt is saying the F word. LOL

That's really a shame to deny kids the opportunity to play. Just imagine if that was here....

Alabama....Well...ya'allll can still follow the Tide ya know! Sheesh...I feel for the Birmingham fans...

Last edited:
I think UAB football will be reinstated. The Alabama media and UAB boosters seem certain. Im happy for them its a hell of a comeback story. It looks like they will end up in the Sun Belt.

What's your sources and links. From what I've read on http://csnbbs.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=439 the C-USA commissioner has stated that we will keep UAB is they reinstate football.
Did I miss something?
As we certainly should. I'm not cheering the demise of UAB athletics, as they have been one of the strongest basketball teams in the conference and as for football, we haven't exactly been kings of the conference either. It would be CUSA's loss to see UAB rise again in the Sun Belt. I want to keep UAB in the conference.

Go over to their message board Blazer talk. They seem very confident football is coming back and they have several news articles pinned about the subject. As for CUSA there was a report on miner rush about a month ago that the conference would not make an exception for UAB and they will be booted next month. Even with the program reinstated they would still have to play two years as an fcs independent before returing to fbs. The earliest return for fbs football would be 2018. The sun belt seems a likely landing spot for uab.

Thank MFL. It is complicated. Switching conferences can be an expensive prospect. Will basketball and football be in different conferences for the short term? There are a lot of questions. We should see it all become clear early next month.
The comments from the C-USA commish are very recent and seem to fly in the face of comments by UAB's president Watts. Commissioner Banowsky has clarified C-USA's opinion of the value of UAB. Of course it is all up to the university presidents to make the decisions, but they will listen closely to their commissioner.
http://csnbbs.com/thread-737503.html
I hope you are right that good will prevail over evil. It looks like you have made a well researched post. Thanks for the info.

I think UAB football will be reinstated. The Alabama media and UAB boosters seem certain. Im happy for them its a hell of a comeback story. It looks like they will end up in the Sun Belt.

That's not what the tea leaves say out of Bamaham, IMO.

Plus, if they were bringing it back, CUSA powers say they still violated their by-laws, had flagrant disregard for such by laws with out any constructive conference consultation and appeared to CUSA to fully not comprehend the ramifications for doing such a move. So, out ya go, and hello Sun Belt!

State rep say Watts is not budging and will not bring it back. There is one final push today by a major philanthropist and others in the town who have provided in writing, millions of dollars of upgrades if brought back.

"State Rep. Jack Williams told AL.com Thursday morning he's received "strong indications" that UAB President Ray Watts has decided not to reinstate the school's football program and plans to announce that news Friday night.

"This could lead to irreparable damage at UAB in its relationship with the community," Williams said.

UAB released a statement later Thursday morning saying that
no decision has been made yet on the possible return of football, rifle and bowling.

Williams said he believes Watts "is holding fast" ....."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/05/strong_indications_uab_will_no.html

"The last 15 years have witnessed repeated attacks on both the Huntsville and Birmingham campuses by the board and its confederates. These attacks have focused on terminating athletics (hockey at UAH, football at UAB), but — as per the guidance of my trustee source — sports are just the tip of the iceberg. The real goal is to stuff the genies back into the bottle once and for all, and to put a cork on the UAB and UAH campuses for good.

Why would a pro-UA Board, 80 percent of them Alabama alumni, be so vengeful toward the other campuses? The easy, and by no means wrong, answers are jealousy of the successful younger siblings, and (in UAB's case) the deep personal resentment of Bryant Jr. But, in the end, the UA board collectively acts in the interests of Tuscaloosa (not always in its best interests, however).

Why would denying undergraduate public education opportunities in Birmingham and Huntsville after a half-century-plus of success redound to UA's benefit? Upon investigation, I found 951,092,958 reasons why.

That's how much UA's "non-current liabilities" were on Sept. 30, 2014 —up 169 percent in the past five years alone. In short, the Tuscaloosa campus is a billion dollars in debt, and the debt is soaring...."

http://www.al.com/opinion/index.ssf/2015/05/uab_football_first_step_in_hid.html

Reactions: Miner Dawgma
Greed. They want all the money to roll over everyone to win all the money. Where's the justice system? Looks like a monopoly to me. Thanks for the post 2step.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT