ADVERTISEMENT

Story of the first time Mike Price was introduced to a UTEP team.

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Since Mike Price will be introduced as Coach to his new team today or tomorrow, it got me thinking about the story that I heard the first time that he was introduced to new UTEP players:

Apparently, after being hired in 2004, the UTEP team was in a room waiting to meet him for the first time. Mike Price was introduced as Coach and he walked into the room. The players gave him a polite applause, then Price turned around and left the room without saying anything. He then re-entered the room again a few seconds later wearing a orange miner hard hat and holding the pick axe and he said "that is no way to welcome the 2004 WAC Coach of the Year!" The room erupted and he immediately won the players over.

Again, I am looking at all of this in the context that it is just for the best situation through the end of the season and I have a feeling that the players will warm to Price as a band aide to their difficult current situation somewhat quickly.

Last edited:
Oh no, there goes our winning and successful season!!! Because before the players found out about Mike Price, we were 0-5 and losing games by an average of something like 44 to 14.

UTEPfan1966, you were pissed on thIs board when Kugler was the Coach, now you are pissed when he is not the Coach?

I literally used to defend Kugler on this board in conversations with you. You got your wish, you were right, Kugler is gone!

Reactions: jdubb66
the players werent told of this decision. they found out on social media. he wont win them over.....ever

Does he need to? It's not like chemistry on this program has been magical all season and now all of a sudden it's bad. The body language of the players on the sidelines has told the story, and it's likely why Kugler didn't even wait to bail until the end of the year. It's also not like the team can perform any more poorly than they already have. His job is to finish the season, not win over a bunch of players that were already unhappy.

the players werent told of this decision. they found out on social media. he wont win them over.....ever
You were right about Kugler's talent evaluation. I hope you're wrong this time. This group of kids need to realize they are adults now. Things don't always never go your way. In the grown up world, one day you walk in to work and you have a new boss. Deal with it.

If the players want to be mad and pout, then be mad at Kugler for walking out mid-season. You can't let the inmates run the jail. This season is over, so these players have 2 options:
1. The door is right there and you can leave anytime if Price didn't win you over. A new coach is coming in, it will free up scholarships and make it easy on him. See ya.

2. Stop crying and play to earn a spot for next season. You now have an experienced coach. Pick his brain, take advantage of his coaching knowledge to make yourself better.

People act like we are currently 5-0 and the season just went to shit with Price being named interim head coach. An interim coach is just a fuc$ing babysitter for the remainder of the season. Who cares who it is.

Oh no, there goes our winning and successful season!!! Because before the players found out about Mike Price, we were 0-5 and losing games by an average of something like 44 to 14.

UTEPfan1966, you were pissed on thIs board when Kugler was the Coach, now you are pissed when he is not the Coach?

I literally used to defend Kugler on this board in conversations with you. You got your wish, you were right, Kugler is gone!

Dude you just aren't getting where I am coming from.

I loved the Kugler hire. I soon realized he wasn't getting it done. I was ECSTATIC when he finally resigned. (granted it was 2 years late, but whatever)
I hated Price being coach. He did great initially, but he stayed like 5 years too long. For that alone, I hold a grudge. Sure, he is/was a nice guy (until he ripped down fire floyd signs) Yes he is loved by many El Pasoans. I don't think it's earned as he took the salary while in charge and didn't earn it for years. If you think it's too far fetched to think something is being done behind the scenes to get one of his sons the gig, well I just don't know what to tell you. We ARE UTEP and I think Stull would/could hire the coach before a new AD is hired. I HATE that there is any chance that happens.
To me, this stinks....

I hope I am wrong. I hope a new AD is hired soon from outside the UTEP family and new blood is roaming the sidelines. If I am wrong, come in, I will buy you a burger and a beer. You can tell me what a putz I am....

I hope a new AD is hired soon from outside the UTEP family and new blood is roaming the sidelines. If I am wrong, come in, I will buy you a burger and a beer. You can tell me what a putz I am....

We all want the same thing. I believe that practically everyone on this board wants an outsider. I am confident that our next real coach will not be a Price and I personally don't feel this interim thing is a threat to that scenario happening. I am taking this at face value with no alternative motive working behind the scenes. I would suggest that we all view it the same way.

In fact my bigger fear would have been Natkin getting the temporary job and running off 2 or 3 wins, then the players fighting for him to be hired full time, the administration backing down, and him becoming our next permanent coach. As unlikely as that is, an old Mike Price, with no ambitions past this year is actually a safer bet to ensure that we get an outsider and a fresh start for next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prospero915
They can be mad all they want but Kuglar was a shitty coach. Now if they want to be loyal and continue ass kicking after ass kicking just to keep him then something is wrong with them as players. And like someone said, Kuglar walked out on them, HE WASN'T FIRED.

Yeah. At some point you have to get frustrated being sent into the meat grinder. Those players deep down had to be frustrated knowing what they were doing wasn’t working.

I think the players like kug because they know he's the only coach who believed in many of them. It's obvious that a large percentage of our players would never play for any other D1 team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT