ADVERTISEMENT

Stull has done it again, $$$ over what's best for UTEP

Nugget 07

All Star
Mar 8, 2007
The game today is scheduled for 2? Why? To accommodate the monster truck show at 7. Who the hell cares about monster trucks on Senior night?! Thanks Bob, because of my work schedule I will not be able to attend--great job moving the game to 2!!

Call in to work Nugget. Can't believe you won't sacrifice a day of work to see these seniors on their day. Smh

Actually I think stull did the right thing! Nowadays people if they had to pick between utep basketball and a monster truck show they would pick the monster truck show...

The last time the truck show and game played at the same time it was a traffic nightmare. I see this as people's safety over money quite frankly.

This post was edited on 3/7 10:47 AM by allminer

easy solution, Nugget.

quit your job on Friday. go to game Saturday.

go back to work Monday and tell the boss you were hasty and apologize.

they won't have found your replacement by Monday and will take you back.

I've done this several times. it always works.

of course, I work for myself, but that's not the important point.
smile.r191677.gif

Why not accommodate to both. I hate the truck show, but its the only time people will fill the stadium! Sad, but true. The game was never changed, just need to plan. GO MINERS

Game has always been scheduled for that time. It is a logistical nightmare if you take all of the parking away from the Monster trucks. He accommodated both. I would rather the game be at 2 than have to go thru the traffic mess like it was the last time.

Originally posted by Miners Fight:

easy solution, Nugget.

quit your job on Friday. go to game Saturday.

go back to work Monday and tell the boss you were hasty and apologize.
Sounds like a Seinfeld episode. You should have just quit on Friday and then go back on Monday like nothing happened.

I have had to help at those truck shows with a non profit group and it is a traffic nightmare. The damn thing sells out every time, that's why it comes every year. El Paso is one of it's best venues.

Originally posted by allminer:
The last time the truck show and game played at the same time it was a traffic nightmare. I see this as people's safety over money quite frankly.

This post was edited on 3/7 10:47 AM by allminer
Yes, both times pissed me off. The game against Memphis a few years ago and then a couple years ago again.

I don't blame Stull or UTEP at all. The crowds that come for Monster Trucks, many are from Juarez or Southern New Mexico. Majority don't go to Miner games.

So, they circle for parking. They stop and ask questions. They fight with lot attendants. They don't know the routine. As it is, a sold out Sun Bowl is a Cluster Fu

Maybe Floyd can hire the driver for "El Toro Loco"?

UTEP had a rodeo clown as an assistant once, so why not?
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Re: Maybe Floyd can hire the driver for "El Toro Loco"?

Once upon a time in the WAC (Western Athletic Conference) era, the 3 p.m. games on Saturday afternoon used to sell out.
I too would love to see more afternoon games in both football (beginning in October) and basketball.

Even though the game was at 2, traffic was a mess. Who tailgates for the monster trucks? geez

Actually, Stull has nothing to do with scheduling the truck show. Events in the DHC and the Sun Bowl are handled by a special events coordinator, not the athletic department. Blame someone else in the UTEP administration, not Stull.

I was pissed that they let them into tailgate and take up all the season tkt holder spots in P-9. We actually pay to park and to really struggled to get a spot because of the monster trucks was annoying. In the past they were better about it being for bball only.

Originally posted by kappasigmaminer:
I was pissed that they let them into tailgate and take up all the season tkt holder spots in P-9. We actually pay to park and to really struggled to get a spot because of the monster trucks was annoying. In the past they were better about it being for bball only.
What time did you get to the game? I got there about 1:40 and there were a bunch of spaces available.

Four years later Monster Jam in El Paso has gotten so enormous they now have two events, one on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.

I worked an event at the Don Haskins Center 2 years ago the same day as Monster Jam. It was the worst traffic I have ever seen in the area and it took forever to get from campus to downtown. Now I see why they will never schedule games at the same time as Monster Jam. Sadly it would not surprise me if Monster Jam sells more tickets for a single event than our football team does all season combined

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Four years later Monster Jam in El Paso has gotten so enormous they now have two events, one on Saturday and 1 on Sunday.

I worked an event at the Don Haskins Center 2 years ago the same day as Monster Jam. It was the worst traffic I have ever seen in the area and it took forever to get from campus to downtown. Now I see why they will never schedule games at the same time as Monster Jam. Sadly it would not surprise me if Monster Jam sells more tickets for a single event than our football team does all season combined

Monster Jam has been on Saturday and Sunday for years. Nothing new.

I’ve never been to Monster Jam but I’ve passed by UTEP when it’s happening and the parking looks awful. Vehicles were parked anywhere they could, even if it meant driving over sidewalks and parking on the rocks overlooking the freeway. I don’t think UTEP has ever come close to that sort of mayhem even when they were winning.

I’ve never been to Monster Jam but I’ve passed by UTEP when it’s happening and the parking looks awful. Vehicles were parked anywhere they could, even if it meant driving over sidewalks and parking on the rocks overlooking the freeway. I don’t think UTEP has ever come close to that sort of mayhem even when they were winning.

It was like then when Price had his winning teams and when there weren't all the parking garages that exist now.

People were parking ON THE ROAD right next to the DHC on a curve at the NMSU game. Those people that marked there are probably some of the same morons that post on here.

You all remember when El Paso Chihuahua tried getting kappasigmaminer fired? Haven’t heard from either one anymore.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT