ADVERTISEMENT

Sul Ross Thread(losing at half-time).

UTEPDefense

MI Hall of Famer
Oct 8, 2002
Sul Ross lost by 29 last night at UTSA. They then drove 5 1/2 hours home last night. Then this morning they drove 3 1/2 hours to El Paso and they are now beating UTEP at half-time. It doesn’t even look like Sul Ross has a guy playing who is over 6’3”.

Despite having Bryson Williams, Efe, and Verhoven with a huge size differential down low, UTEP has take 14 three’s and only 19 two’s and are losing at half-time.

I have yet to watch a Coach Terry team play, where I have said “that looks like a well coached team”. I wonder if Jim Senter ever sat down and actually watched an entire basketball game coached by Coach Terry before he hired him?

Sul Ross lost by 29 last night at UTSA. They then drove 5 1/2 hours home last night. Then this morning they drove 3 1/2 hours to El Paso and they are now beating UTEP at half-time. It doesn’t even look like Sul Ross has a guy playing who is over 6’3”.

Despite having Bryson Williams, Efe, and Verhoven with a huge size differential down low, UTEP has take 14 three’s and only 19 two’s and are losing at half-time.

I have yet to watch a Coach Terry team play, where I have said “that looks like a well coached team”. I wonder if Jim Senter ever sat down and actually watched an entire basketball game coached by Coach Terry before he hired him?

Patience my friend. Give it about 5 more long years. If you can make the same claim then, Senter should only be about two or three more years away from cutting ties with him.

It. Is. Hard. Being. A. UTEP. Fan.

Credit Terry for finally pulling out our center around the 12 minute mark. We have taken over from there.

Reactions: miner1liner
10-point lead. Maybe we can start to relax.

I can forgive some of it with UTEP missing some players due to COVID.

10-point lead. Maybe we can start to relax.

I can forgive some of it with UTEP missing some players due to COVID.

They're playing a d3 squad. There are no scholarships at d3. It's a glorified intramural squad. Thats not forgivable or acceptable. We should never play d3 teams to begin with but to have a competitive game is completely unacceptable.

They're playing a d3 squad. There are no scholarships at d3. It's a glorified intramural squad. Thats not forgivable or acceptable. We should never play d3 teams to begin with but to have a competitive game is completely unacceptable.
2003 vs. Billy G's great team. Remember?

Also, the Ivy League doesn't offer scholarships, either, yet they manage to win some games.

Completely agree. Even without Bieniemy, this game should have never been in question. We can make a ton of excuses, but this was a poor effort by the staff and the players. I'm not impressed by any of the new guys.

Answers please.
1) Never heard any explanation about Bienemy.
What's up?
2) Are we gonna watch Onyema waste away on
the bench and only see him for a minute at
the end of the game? How many players did
Terry ruin and lose last season for the
same reason?
3) Don't know if it matters, but what's up with
Vila?

I've tried to give Terry the benefit of another chance, but at this point 2020 continues to have a bad odor.

Last edited:
Reactions: MineroFanatico
Answers please.
1) Never heard any explanation about Bienemy.
What's up?
2) Are we gonna watch Onyema waste away on
the bench and only see him for a minute at
the end of the game? How many players did
Terry ruin and lose last sea season for the
same reason?
3) Don't know if it matters, but what's up with
Vila?

I've tried to give Terry the benefit of another chance, but at this point 2020 continues to have a bad odor.
1. Covid - out for 10 days, should be back Tuesday
2. Terry says Onyema is the most improved player since they started practicing; sounds like coachspeak for him thinking he is not ready. Onyema is playing behind 3 upperclassmen, two of which, I consider borderline role players. Would have been nice for Onyema to get time against non D1 teams, but that didn't quite play out as expected.
3. No idea, but he was on the bench tonight, but not in uniform. Heard he hasn't practiced at all; so I'm not sure if/when he will return.

thanks Lil.
Bieniemy should help. Vuk did nothing!
Onyema could be a major contributor. Put him in the game coach!
One more thing!
How can you you go a full game against a Div Ill team who just got clobbered and traveled 600 mikes on a bus with our size advantage and have only ONE player shoot free throws?

Last edited:
I just don’t see RT having success here. His coaching decisions has us scratching our heads. The same is happening here’s like when we had Floyd. Very well coached teams with lesser talent will beat Utep. RT has issues with finding that chemistry. Good coaches know how to adjust. Coach Jans always has his aggies playing well at the end of the season. Yes I know he plays in a crappier conference but I could bet that RT would never be as successful as Jans in aggieland.

I didn’t watch the game but I assume the problems associated with a lack of a true pg are still there this season. Without Bieniemy this team won’t be any better than .500.

I didn’t watch the game but I assume the problems associated with a lack of a true pg are still there this season. Without Bieniemy this team won’t be any better than .500.

I didn’t see it either, but sounds like Boum facilitated well dishing out 11 dimes.

I caught most of the game, and I thought the play on both ends was extremely undisciplined. The effort on defense was poor for 3/4th of the game; while the offense consisted of mostly settling for threes, which has been indicative of a Terry offensive "game plan" for his entire time here. There was little to no offensive production outside of Boum and Williams, which we already know will not work from watching last year's team. In order to compete against a decent team, we will need others to step way up.

I thought Sul Ross came in and played inspired ball; Terry acknowledged that was what he expected in his post game interview. Yet, his team came out flat and did not come close to matching that intensity. Obviously, this is a sign of poor coaching. We will see how the season transpires, but I am not very encouraged with what I have seen so far. Let's see how these guys do this upcoming week. A performance similar to last night will get us blown out in the first half.

Hopefully Bieniemy solves some issues.

But this team reminds me of an Open Gym team that runs the court. They have the best players. But one isn't playing defense, another one is cherry picking, another guy is jacking 25 footers, no one really hustles but they win like 5 in a row because they have the best players. But then some old dudes put together a team, start making the extra pass, shoot the open jumpers, allow the 25 footers and block out, and all of a sudden, the stacked team is on the sidelines waiting for their turn again.

From what I’ve observed in these first two games is .....Boum, Williams, Bienemy, Kennedy and yes....Onyema on the floor. I don't consider playing Onyema risky. He's gifted, energetic and would bring excitement to the floor that Verhouven or Efe don't.

From what I’ve observed in these first two games is .....Boum, Williams, Bienemy, Kennedy and yes....Onyema on the floor. I don't consider playing Onyema risky. He's gifted, energetic and would bring excitement to the floor that Verhouven or Efe don't.
Can't disagree with that. That would be one exciting lineup.. Onyema should at least be the immediate backup for Tydus right now.

Hopefully Bieniemy solves some issues.

But this team reminds me of an Open Gym team that runs the court. They have the best players. But one isn't playing defense, another one is cherry picking, another guy is jacking 25 footers, no one really hustles but they win like 5 in a row because they have the best players. But then some old dudes put together a team, start making the extra pass, shoot the open jumpers, allow the 25 footers and block out, and all of a sudden, the stacked team is on the sidelines waiting for their turn again.
We should get a lot better on defense. I like this group of guys. They just need more game time together. If we somehow get Agnew this season it will be that much better

Last edited:
Reactions: kickballpro
Don't get the love for Onyema......guy makes 3 dunk shots in clean up against div 3 competition and he's ready to start? He may have potential but you can't anoint this guy as a starter with this evaluation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT