ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl renovations??

FiliUTEP

MI Miner Maniac
Feb 1, 2010
What were they?? I dont see anything different??

Please don't tell me its that barrier on the endzone ???

What were they?? I dont see anything different??

Please don't tell me its that barrier on the endzone ???

They put an Elevator that goes from the concourse up to the press box. They remodeled the press box and Captains Club. And the replaced Expensive High Row Seats that were benches into more expensive high row seats that are comfortable.

Reactions: MinerFan79
You don't see anything different up by the press box?
I haven't been to the stadium . I just see what they show from the Television. Whatever they have in the endzone looks cheesy. Looks like it cost like $30 to make.

They put an Elevator that goes from the concourse up to the press box. They remodeled the press box and Captains Club. And the replaced Expensive High Row Seats that were benches into more expensive high row seats that are comfortable.
They didn't have an elevator before?? Lol How embarrassing not to have a elevator. So anyone disabled couldn't get up there??

They didn't have an elevator before?? Lol How embarrassing not to have a elevator. So anyone disabled couldn't get up there??
There was already an elevator to take you up to the Captain's Club. There's a special entrance (the "press" entrance?) at the Sun Bowl that lets you into the stadium right at the press box. Presumably, anybody disabled with credentials for the press box or Captain's Club would be permitted to enter the stadium at the "press" entrance and take the elevator there. You just couldn't take an elevator straight up there from the concourse.

UTEP is falling further and further behind. Expect the downward spiral to continue.
This is why UTEP should strongly consider dropping down from division 1. There is simply not enough money available to support the football program at this level. FCS division 1 seems like a spot where they could keep up with the top programs financially.

• Haha
Reactions: Cube Jack
This is why UTEP should strongly consider dropping down from division 1. There is simply not enough money available to support the football program at this level. FCS division 1 seems like a spot where they could keep up with the top programs financially.
It wouldn't be long until we fall behind FCS schools.

Reactions: utep-piggy
Bro, seriously give that ridiculousness a rest Geeze SMH!!! It's been covered in nausea why that's a terrible idea and won't ever and should never happen.

Bro, seriously give that ridiculousness a rest Geeze SMH!!! It's been covered in nausea why that's a terrible idea and won't ever and should never happen.
Doesn't matter how many times it's been covered. I'll bring it up every time I feel like it. Feel free to mute me though.

Reactions: denverutep
Never said we'd have an FBS budget. The money saved by lowering the football budget can be used to improve basketball facilities. There's just not enough money to support both programs at this level.
Our basketball facilities are not a problem. They're in the upper end of our conference already.

Reactions: FedupMiner
Anyone bitchin about Utep’s money feel free to donate more. I’m sure they will not reject it.

Reactions: picks up
El Paso doesn't have as many fat cat donors to give buckets of cash to UTEP as other schools. We do have the population. We won't get buckets full at a time, but maybe collectively, we can fill a bucket of cash for the Miners. It's a thought.

Never said we'd have an FBS budget. The money saved by lowering the football budget can be used to improve basketball facilities. There's just not enough money to support both programs at this level.

There lots of D1 programs including programs in CUSA that have alot less money, alot less revenue, and are financing new facilities on top of that.

There lots of D1 programs including programs in CUSA that have alot less money, alot less revenue, and are financing new facilities on top of that.
Name one that is getting new facilities and spends less than we do? The cost of the new facilities alone is more than we spend on football.

El Paso doesn't have as many fat cat donors to give buckets of cash to UTEP as other schools. We do have the population. We won't get buckets full at a time, but maybe collectively, we can fill a bucket of cash for the Miners. It's a thought.
Its hard to trust those in charge of UTEP athletics. Given UTEP's history of blunders, it's hard to just blindly give money.

Last edited:
Name one that is getting new facilities and spends less than we do? The cost of the new facilities alone is more than we spend on football.

We are 85th out of 105 Schools.

The two teams right below us are Marshall and UTSA, thats two. Southern Miss has new locker rooms. Troy just built a new North End Zone Facility.

Basically what I am doing is a google search of everyone that has operating revenue smaller than ours and seeing what new stuff they had.

I realize that it wasn't hard to "name one." Its actually harder to find a program that isn't making improvements.

The two teams right below us are Marshall and UTSA, thats two. Southern Miss has new locker rooms. Troy just built a new North End Zone Facility.

Basically what I am doing is a google search of everyone that has operating revenue smaller than ours and seeing what new stuff they had.

I realize that it wasn't hard to "name one." Its actually harder to find a program that isn't making improvements.

Thanks for this little project. It really opened my eyes to see that UTEP does so much less with more.

Reactions: denverutep

This doesn't look to account for money that is going to specific projects. Just looking at the past years for UTEP. I don't see the 17 million for the stadium accounted for in there. I also went and looked at San Diego State who just built a 310 million stadium. That is not accounted for anywhere in those financial records either.

And to add, most people aren't able to donate (even if they wanted to).
Had the pleasure of visiting friends in El Paso recently. They wanted to treat us to dinner and took us to Landry's. That place was packed and damn it was expensive. Our friends are retired on ss and were splurging since we came quite a way to visit them. Driving by a lot of restaurants with full parking lots. Most of those people could donate a little which is all that is needed. A little bit from a lot of people.

Had the pleasure of visiting friends in El Paso recently. They wanted to treat us to dinner and took us to Landry's. That place was packed and damn it was expensive. Our friends are retired on ss and were splurging since we came quite a way to visit them. Driving by a lot of restaurants with full parking lots. Most of those people could donate a little which is all that is needed. A little bit from a lot of people.

And your point is? Do you know the financial situations of every person in the restaurants? How do you know most of those people could donate a little? I know people who spend way too much and are in debt up to their eyeballs.

Saying "those people could donate a little" just because they are eating in a restaurant is entitled behavior.

I am not sure if you know this or not, but there are a lot of poor people in El Paso. Most people aren't willing or are unable to donate.

How much do your friends donate every year? How much do you donate?

I've noticed this for a while. People have money to go out and drop a couple of hundred on dinner and drinks. When it comes to buying a $10 ticket to the game all of a sudden there's no money.

I've noticed this for a while. People have money to go out and drop a couple of hundred on dinner and drinks. When it comes to buying a $10 ticket to the game all of a sudden there's no money.

Maybe those people don't like sports? Why would they spend $10 for something they have no interest in?

Also, many people use credit cards to spend money they don't have. People who drop a couple hundred on dinner an drinks might not have money and are in debt.

Reactions: kickballpro
I imagine UTEP's top target audience should be alumni. For the most part they should have a bit of disposable income. Winning seasons should start to repair the broken relationship between them and the university.

I assume you didn't graduate from UTEP? I get alumni donation requests often.

Maybe those people don't like sports? Why would they spend $10 for something they have no interest in?

Also, many people use credit cards to spend money they don't have. People who drop a couple hundred on dinner an drinks might not have money and are in debt.
No one expects people to go to a UTEP athletic event if they are not interested or they are too poor. Should be obvious that there are a lot of people in the El Paso area that have enough money to give a little bit or at least attend a game now and then. You don't get 31k at a game otherwise as UTEP did for the UTSA game last season.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT