ADVERTISEMENT

Sun Bowl

I’m ok with Stanford but was hoping for a team from the ACC with a better record.

22/39

22. Sun Bowl: Stanford (8-4) vs. Pitt (7-6) – 2 p.m., Dec. 31, CBS

Pitt is rewarded with a trip to El Paso after losing to Clemson by 32 on Saturday night. If you like teams that run the ball, well then you are in luck with this game. Both teams are incredibly efficient on the ground and Pitt will have to figure out a way to stop K.J. Costello from throwing jump balls to J.J. Arcega-Whiteside.

https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-2018-bowl-games-1-39-alabama-oklahoma-no-1-232758819.html

Hyundai Sun Bowl: Stanford vs. Pittsburgh (2 p.m. ET on CBS at Sun Bowl Stadium in El Paso, Texas)

i
i

Why to watch: It's expected to be the final college game for Stanford running back Bryce Love, who struggled with injuries and a mediocre offensive line after returning for his senior season. He finished with 739 yards and 6 touchdowns in 10 games.

Whom to watch: For the first time in school history, the Panthers have a pair of 1,000-yard rushers: Qadree Ollison(1,190) and Darrin Hall (1,021). Ollison had 235 with 3 touchdowns against Virginia Tech while Hall had 229 with 3 touchdowns against Virginia.

Motivating factor for Stanford: After winning at least 10 games in six of seven seasons from 2010 to 2016, the Cardinal will try to avoid losing five games in back-to-back seasons.

Motivating factor for Pittsburgh: The Panthers have dropped three straight bowl games, including two under coach Pat Narduzzi, and haven't won in the postseason since 2013.

Prediction: Stanford 34, Pittsburgh 27

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25508284/the-one-stop-shop-every-bowl-game

Why go to see a Stanford team that underachieved and has their best players sitting the game out against a Pitt team that has a 7-6 record with one win over an FCS team.

Why go to see a Stanford team that underachieved and has their best players sitting the game out against a Pitt team that has a 7-6 record with one win over an FCS team.

Because it's two teams from major conferences.

Compared to other bowls, the Sun Bowl still has good teams.

Pitt is not a very good team and the players that made Stanford a good team will not be playing in the Sun Bowl. The Sun Bowl had the chance to align with conferences in G5 and help UTEP but instead remained in bed with CBS. They could have stepped away from CBS and gone with ESPN and had teams like UCF, Boise St., or UAB instead. So the Sun Bowl is left with teams that underachieved and fans are supposed to get excited about them?

Pitt is not a very good team and the players that made Stanford a good team will not be playing in the Sun Bowl. The Sun Bowl had the chance to align with conferences in G5 and help UTEP but instead remained in bed with CBS. They could have stepped away from CBS and gone with ESPN and had teams like UCF, Boise St., or UAB instead. So the Sun Bowl is left with teams that underachieved and fans are supposed to get excited about them?

If you have attended any UTEP games the last 2 years, you cannot complain about the Sun Bowl not having good teams.

Which bowl has done what you’re suggesting? Telling P5 conferences to buzz off so they can have G5 teams instead? The second CBS is out and we have G5 teams, attendance will die and then the bowl will. Nobody is going to go see FIU play San Jose St.

Last edited:
Yea I have to agree that swapping a P5 conference for a G5 is suicide for the bowl. No one in El Paso cares about those teams when they play against UTEP so it would be much worse against a neutral opponent. Only 10k showed up to watch UAB in the Sun Bowl a few weeks ago.

Because when the weather is nice, it’s a nice way to spend a holiday day.

Reactions: Dmanminer
Because its new years, I have the day off from work and this chick I'm talking to is having a tailgate with her family, and if I play my cards right I might get to enjoy a New Year's treat.

Perhaps during your lifetime. But there was a time the Sun Bowl needed to be sold out 72 hours in advance in order for it to be shown live locally. Otherwise it was shown later that night on tape delay.

That telecast is nice PR for El Paso.

You would rather see UNT and Utah State over Stanford and Pittsburgh?

If you have attended any UTEP games the last 2 years, you cannot complain about the Sun Bowl not having good teams.

Which bowl has done what you’re suggesting? Telling P5 conferences to buzz off so they can have G5 teams instead? The second CBS is out and we have G5 teams, attendance will die and then the bowl will. Nobody is going to go see FIU play San Jose St.
One of the few times I agree with you!!

Reactions: HoneyBoy95
The enthusiasm people have shown for a team like Pitt is equal to enthusiasm for teams with .500 record in basketball being included in the NCAA tournament over a team that has won 26 games. My point is that Pitt is not a very good football team and there are at least 6/7 G5 schools that are much better. Add to that the fact that several of Stanford's best players will not be playing in the Sun Bowl and you have another poor team that would get beat by those same mid majors. I guess some of you are just caught up in name recognition of schools and not the actual football product on the field. These two teams are pigs and there is not enough make up around to make either of them look good. The Sun Bowl DOES NOT CARE about UTEP, therefore I DO NOT CARE about the Sun Bowl.

The enthusiasm people have shown for a team like Pitt is equal to enthusiasm for teams with .500 record in basketball being included in the NCAA tournament over a team that has won 26 games. My point is that Pitt is not a very good football team and there are at least 6/7 G5 schools that are much better. Add to that the fact that several of Stanford's best players will not be playing in the Sun Bowl and you have another poor team that would get beat by those same mid majors. I guess some of you are just caught up in name recognition of schools and not the actual football product on the field. These two teams are pigs and there is not enough make up around to make either of them look good. The Sun Bowl DOES NOT CARE about UTEP, therefore I DO NOT CARE about the Sun Bowl.

Cool. Buying season tickets for a team that has gone 2 years without a home victory though right? UTEP doesn’t care about UTEP fans, but hey, as long as they have fans like you, they have no reason to change.

Boycott the Sun Bowl game for bringing in Pac-12 and ACC teams, but continuously support a football program that sucks balls.

Reactions: John 100
Cool. Buying season tickets for a team that has gone 2 years without a home victory though right? UTEP doesn’t care about UTEP fans, but hey, as long as they have fans like you, they have no reason to change.

Boycott the Sun Bowl game for bringing in Pac-12 and ACC teams, but continuously support a football program that sucks balls.

Don’t presume to tell others how they should spend their time and money.

I didn’t. His choice. Just don’t get the rationale of complaining about the quality of Sun Bowl teams, but buys UTEP tickets. It’s like complaining about a model, but then talking about how fine your ugly wife is.

Reactions: John 100
I didn’t. His choice. Just don’t get the rationale of complaining about the quality of Sun Bowl teams, but buys UTEP tickets. It’s like complaining about a model, but then talking about how fine your ugly wife is.
kinda of like not showing up to the MBB games and then bitching about attendance?

How am I bitching about attendance? I have never complained about people not showing up. Maybe you don't "get" my posts????????
Maybe you should re-read your own posts from the sun bowl tournament thread. There are numerous post with you bitching about the attendance. You have "never" complained about people not showing up? What do you call it if not complaining? Are you just politely making light of it?

Also you never answered my last question from the Sun Bowl tournament thread. Why did you attend at least one of the basketball games if nobody should attend just because and nobody should pay to see a losing team?

What am I supposed to "get" from your posts other than what you write?

Maybe you should re-read your own posts from the sun bowl tournament thread. There are numerous post with you bitching about the attendance. You have "never" complained about people not showing up? What do you call it if not complaining? Are you just politely making light of it?

Also you never answered my last question from the Sun Bowl tournament thread. Why did you attend at least one of the basketball games if nobody should attend just because and nobody should pay to see a losing team?

What am I supposed to "get" from your posts other than what you write?

I read it. Can’t find one where I was “complaining”. Please link one.

Because I wanted to? I didn’t say nobody should go, just that you shouldn’t expect them to. Big difference.

If you got my posts, you would see that I don’t complain about people not going, just UTEPs performances and fans unrealistic expectations or delusional thoughts.

I read it. Can’t find one where I was “complaining”. Please link one.

Because I wanted to? I didn’t say nobody should go, just that you shouldn’t expect them to. Big difference.

If you got my posts, you would see that I don’t complain about people not going, just UTEPs performances and fans unrealistic expectations or delusional thoughts.
The second comment in the thread is a post from you bitching about attendance. Then there are at least 3 more (one with a picture) mixed in with your other comments.

I have quoted your "nobody" wants to pay to see losses comment twice already and I have asked you the same question twice already. You have chosen to respond to me, but blatantly ignore the question. Here it is again just in case you didn't see it: Why did you go to the game that you claim you attended? ANSWER THE QUESTION please.

I wasn’t bitching about the attendance. I was mocking unihorn, who claimed the tournament should be moved to the arena. That is not bitching about attendance.

I already answered your question. Here it is again- Because I wanted to. That’s why I went. That’s why most people do things.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT