ADVERTISEMENT

Tackling, physicality, heart. Where is it?

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
We've been talking about what Kugler ball means for 3 years now. Where has it gone? We saw glimpses of it the past two seasons but we can't seem to tackle anyone this year even though we only lost a few guys of last years defense. The effort and hustle just don't seem to be there. Kugs talks about being competitive week in, week out. Well, that ain't happening. These are his guys. He recruited them, he coached them. Something is wrong it they already aren't responding to him.

Reactions: LaserCoog
While everybody has been worried about the offense, the defense is what disturbs me. Dont get me wrong the offense is far from perfect but the defense is atrocious. This is on paper our deepest defensive line in history. To this point they have been non factors. We are getting no push whatsoever, no qb pressures, i dont know if they know what contain is much less how to keep it. The linebackers have been bad, they have misread play after play and cant make tackles in space. Over looked because of the secondary play has been the fact that teams have been running all over us. We have given up over 200 yds rushing both games. The secondary has gotten the blame, for the two young corners its been baptism by fire. I think the two young corners will be great players for us in the future. With both senior safeties back i hope the secondary play is improved. The lack of tackling is disturbing. The defense was so physical last year.

On offense what disturbs me is the offensive lines sub par play in the second half. They seem to be worn down. I dont agree with it but i understand the rationale for the conservative playcalling. They were trying to limit offensive possesions by the opponent and avoid killer turnovers. We should be able to dominate NMSU up front. If we lose this game i will be really disturbed. There have been some insinuations coming out of UTEP, that maybe we played vanilla offenses and coverages the first two games. I hope thats not the case, i would be pissed. My least favorite moment the Kugler era was his presser before the Arkansas game. He talked up the hogs so much it was like he was preparing us and the team for a loss. I didnt like that. I still like and support Kugler, I like the team, but its time to win. Going forward there are no more excuses.

Reactions: LaserCoog
On offense what disturbs me is the offensive lines sub par play in the second half. They seem to be worn down. I dont agree with it but i understand the rationale for the conservative playcalling. .

I'll take it further. I was thoroughly unimpressed with UTEP's offensive line against both Tech and Arkansas. I thought they looked fat and slow, more than a few plays got blown up by smaller, quicker, more athletic defensive linemen.

QUOTE="Minerforlife, post: 23900, member: 448"]While everybody has been worried about the offense, the defense is what disturbs me. Dont get me wrong the offense is far from perfect but the defense is atrocious. This is on paper our deepest defensive line in history. To this point they have been non factors. We are getting no push whatsoever, no qb pressures, i dont know if they know what contain is much less how to keep it. The linebackers have been bad, they have misread play after play and cant make tackles in space. Over looked because of the secondary play has been the fact that teams have been running all over us. We have given up over 200 yds rushing both games. The secondary has gotten the blame, for the two young corners its been baptism by fire. I think the two young corners will be great players for us in the future. With both senior safeties back i hope the secondary play is improved. The lack of tackling is disturbing. The defense was so physical last year.

On offense what disturbs me is the offensive lines sub par play in the second half. They seem to be worn down. I dont agree with it but i understand the rationale for the conservative playcalling. They were trying to limit offensive possesions by the opponent and avoid killer turnovers. We should be able to dominate NMSU up front. If we lose this game i will be really disturbed. There have been some insinuations coming out of UTEP, that maybe we played vanilla offenses and coverages the first two games. I hope thats not the case, i would be pissed. My least favorite moment the Kugler era was his presser before the Arkansas game. He talked up the hogs so much it was like he was preparing us and the team for a loss. I didnt like that. I still like and support Kugler, I like the team, but its time to win. Going forward there are no more excuses.[/QUOTE]
I find your statement rather disturbing.

Last edited:
Funny you put that SW episode IV video, because that is exactly what Kugler appears to have over the local media. The thing is UTEP put their fans through this with Charlie Bailey who knew his tough talk went well over with the media. I think Kugler is sincere and brutally honest but need to look at the positives. I just don't want UTEP to go back to those David Lee days where the team literally gave up during a game.

You guys should go out to the practices and see these great kids give their all and tell us they don't have any heart.

They are winners.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT