ADVERTISEMENT

Tarke is a goner

Does anyone know if Williams will graduate this year? If he is, then he’s probably also gone as a grad transfer. NCAAT teams will be fighting for his service.

Does anyone know if Williams will graduate this year? If he is, then he’s probably also gone as a grad transfer. NCAAT teams will be fighting for his service.
I don't think Williams leaves. He faded a bit as the season progressed (per his expectations). Some not his fault. He is not even projected to be a 2nd round pick. I think he is looking to play in the NBA long term. He had plenty of exposure to NBA scouts here at UTEP.

Hope Williams stays for his senior year. His stock will rise if he continues to play like he did last year. He will be projected to be a first round pick next year.

Reactions: axingfools1
He obviously was not the player we all expected, so I say who cares, more scholarship room.

I don’t think we got the chance to actually see him play often enough to come to that conclusion, aside from his atrocious 3 point shooting.

Tarke led the Miners in rebounds per minutes played and steals per minutes played. He was extremely explosive. Maybe he doesn’t fit in CRT’s system, but regardless, we didn’t get to see the best of Tarke.

I did think this would be the outcome if he graduated, so I’m not surprised. We move on.

I don't think Williams leaves. He faded a bit as the season progressed (per his expectations). Some not his fault. He is not even projected to be a 2nd round pick. I think he is looking to play in the NBA long term. He had plenty of exposure to NBA scouts here at UTEP.
Agree on Williams. I think he wore down as the season progressed; and teams adjusted to defend his strengths. In my opinion, Terry needs to add at least one interior guy to help ease the load. We need guys who can be effective on both ends of the floor. I view guys like Efe and Verhoeven as bench guys on a good team.

Terry needs to fill in the guard positions with skilled guys as opposed to just athletes. Hopefully he has learned a lesson with trying to fill the point guard role with converted combo guards. Playing time is the clear selling point to incoming recruits, and there will be JC and grad transfer options available. I think we may see other guys leave as well.

I wish Tarke the best. His mid range needs work. He did get beat by his man and was a foul machine. Athletic as hell but out of control too much but his work ethic is high and will succeed at his next stop.

Who’s next?
The pandemic will blow over. College sports will hit the ground running. I don't better hear from him that he needs a "do over" or another two years due to transfers. He made this bed, he lies in it. He didn't over hype the team, fans and media did.

However, he greatly underachieved because he had solid talent to compete at the top of this league. None of this Dimel crud "I need a full five years" new narrative he created.

Senter, you have time to video conference with these coaches. Transfers are still going full tilt. The silence is deafening and I'm tired of seeing Canales on social media showing what he is doing daily.

Agree on Williams. I think he wore down as the season progressed; and teams adjusted to defend his strengths. In my opinion, Terry needs to add at least one interior guy to help ease the load. We need guys who can be effective on both ends of the floor. I view guys like Efe and Verhoeven as bench guys on a good team.

Odigie was plenty qualified to ease the load. Amazed he hasn't entered the portal yet. He may need work on defense, but should have played a lot more this season.

Terry will dodge a bullet if Odigie and Williams both stay.

But even in such a disappointing season, he and Senter can claim success on record alone. Meanwhile, we're rebuilding for the second time in 3 years... cleaning up the same kind of mess Floyd would have had.

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
Odigie was plenty qualified to ease the load. Amazed he hasn't entered the portal yet. He may need work on defense, but should have played a lot more this season.

Terry will dodge a bullet if Odigie and William's both stay.

But even in such a disappointing season, he and Senter can claim success on record alone. Meanwhile, we're rebuilding for the second time in 3 years... cleaning up the same kind of mess Floyd would have had.
Shouldn't have run off Gilyard... That was the warning flag, for me.

I hope you’re right. His final two were us and Oregon. These last two years we’ve been fighting to qualify for the conference tournament while Oregon has won two conference titles. If he put up those same number at Oregon would he be a projected second pick right now? I think the appeal to play for a championship team and close to his family will ultimately lead to his departure. But that’s just what my selfish self would do if I was in his shoes.

I hope you’re right. His final two were us and Oregon. These last two years we’ve been fighting to qualify for the conference tournament while Oregon has won two conference titles. If he put up those same number at Oregon would he be a projected second pick right now? I think the appeal to play for a championship team and close to his family will ultimately lead to his departure. But that’s just what my selfish self would do if I was in his shoes.
True. Maybe we should warn him about what happened to Vince Hunter.

I think he stays. He is too close to CRT and he's on every draft radar by now.

Poor dude was good for at least two foul call per game because of his strength, size and athleticism. I will never forget when a Rice player (@ Rice) ran into him at the post. He and Williams got there at the same time and the Rice player went down like a sack of potatoes and got back up slightly weak in the knees. Williams was just standing there in position with his arm out and his eyes saying "What did I do?!". So with two fouls in first half, bench is a waiting.

He obviously was not the player we all expected, so I say who cares, more scholarship room.
This is a bad and uneducated basketball take.

he wasn’t the player we expected because Terry failed to adjust to his players inside his offense and defensive schemes. Terry runs multiple four out sets which isolates BW and clearly Tarke is a slashing forward with a swing man’s height, so instead of creating actions with Tarke crashing the paint for layups, free throw chances, and put backs or offensive boards, Tarke stood out the three point line Jacked three’s and that’s not his game. Also to blame is the lack of a creative guard who could find Tarke on those actions.

Terry failed to use a high energy player who can effect the defensive end, crash the offensive boards and should score automatically from inside 7 feet but Eric Villa had more “skill” to Terry and Terry loves having a “stretch four” who he doesn’t have to develop and is a shot maker.

Tarke was an all-conference player for no reason. I don’t wanna hear how weak that conference was, Terry can recruit but can’t coach. He’s losing a player who can add value if properly utilized.

So use that scholly on a project big man from high school who turns into the next Hooper Vint? clearly why would a big man grad transfer wanna play at UTEP with how things are going and with RT licking Eric Villas ball sack?

This is a bad and uneducated basketball take.

he wasn’t the player we expected because Terry failed to adjust to his players inside his offense and defensive schemes. Terry runs multiple four out sets which isolates BW and clearly Tarke is a slashing forward with a swing man’s height, so instead of creating actions with Tarke crashing the paint for layups, free throw chances, and put backs or offensive boards, Tarke stood out the three point line Jacked three’s and that’s not his game. Also to blame is the lack of a creative guard who could find Tarke on those actions.

Terry failed to use a high energy player who can effect the defensive end, crash the offensive boards and should score automatically from inside 7 feet but Eric Villa had more “skill” to Terry and Terry loves having a “stretch four” who he doesn’t have to develop and is a shot maker.

Tarke was an all-conference player for no reason. I don’t wanna hear how weak that conference was, Terry can recruit but can’t coach. He’s losing a player who can add value if properly utilized.

So use that scholly on a project big man from high school who turns into the next Hooper Vint? clearly why would a big man grad transfer wanna play at UTEP with how things are going and with RT licking Eric Villas ball sack?

You can't blame Terry for everything.

I'm not in any stretch supporting Floyd's last years here, but isn't the complaining now with Terry at the same level as it was with him? To me it's two different factors. One can recruit and can't coach while the other was an X's and O's guy who could also recruit, but had some other serious deficiencies that dictated his end.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I'm not in any stretch supporting Floyd's last years here, but isn't the complaining now with Terry at the same level as it was with him? To me it's two different factors. One can recruit and can't coach while the other was an X's and O's guy who could also recruit, but had some other serious deficiencies that dictated his end.

I don’t think we’re at the level of frustration with CRT that we were at with the tail end of Floyd’s tenure.

I do however think we are at a deeper level of frustration with losing, or not being good. We’ve had nearly an uninterrupted decade of mediocrity, with a couple really bad seasons tossed in. It’s really wearing on most of us. Since Floyd had such a long leash, I think we as fans have “put” Terry on a short one. It’s the “not being very good” that is getting to me. If Floyd had gotten us into the tourney, especially towards the end of his stint, I think we’d have more patience with CRT. Terry is just contributing to the already long line of suckitude, and mediocrity.

Terry is just contributing to the already long line of suckitude, and mediocrity.

Yup. It was particularly frustrating this year after hearing how good the team looked in practice, had several D1 transfers, and how they’ve practiced together for so long, etc. Then to finish in 11th place and barely above .500.

Had he done this with mostly freshmen, the narrative would be totally different. It doesn’t take 4 years to turn around a basketball program with no NCAA issues. It takes 1 year. Many schools have done it, including UTEP back in 2003-04.

I don’t think we’re at the level of frustration with CRT that we were at with the tail end of Floyd’s tenure.

I do however think we are at a deeper level of frustration with losing, or not being good. We’ve had nearly an uninterrupted decade of mediocrity, with a couple really bad seasons tossed in. It’s really wearing on most of us. Since Floyd had such a long leash, I think we as fans have “put” Terry on a short one. It’s the “not being very good” that is getting to me. If Floyd had gotten us into the tourney, especially towards the end of his stint, I think we’d have more patience with CRT. Terry is just contributing to the already long line of suckitude, and mediocrity.
This upcoming year was supposed to be Terry's breakout year. Dreams of burnt orange, Bevo and big money dancing in his head. Lol.

Now he never said that but his "send me the papers via Google docs to sign" to FSU Athletic Department while leaving the Fresno city limits with Freddy Fender playing on his Bluetooth car radio was pretty telling. UT was on his mind, now that dream has blown to heck.

UTEP basketball is not improving. but unlike Dimel who was a bad hire, period, Terry appeared a good hire. Dimel resume screamed at UTEP but Senter bought his snake oil. Terry has a better record but since Christmas '19 the wheels starting falling off. Edward's is gone. I doubt Terry can find another Edward's who will bail him out. I hope to be wrong.

I was glad when Floyd stepped away, but I can name at least 3 of his teams that would drub this years team IMO (and that's with Floyd unable to keep key players in all of those years). I thought this year's team would be better than any of Floyd's teams (especially after watching the TT scrimmage in person). This was a direct reflection of Terry's inability to adjust to his players or bend his style. The total lack of athletic plays in the playbook and the unwillingness to get to the freethrow line was dumbfounding to me.

Floyd was a way better X&O coach, but his off the court crap/recruiting flubs were just too much.

Floyd was a way better X&O coach, but his off the court crap/recruiting flubs were just too much.
Now we get the off court crap with a .500 x&o’s coach. It’s unbelievable to think but even after all the bs we put up with Floyd, his worst season was 15-17 that included a road win over CUSA champion Memphis and a win in the conference tournament. I think we’ve seen the best of Terry but have yet to see the worst of Terry.

Now we get the off court crap with a .500 x&o’s coach. It’s unbelievable to think but even after all the bs we put up with Floyd, his worst season was 15-17 that included a road win over CUSA champion Memphis and a win in the conference tournament. I think we’ve seen the best of Terry but have yet to see the worst of Terry.
Amen brother!

Yup and it took two full seasons my UTEP brothers.

I've said it a million times on digs, Floyd gambled on high end recruits and lost. Only problem was Floyd had a pair of 3's while his recruits had a straight flush. Now twenty years prior it was vice versa. His name carried weight and he used it like Rick Harrison; by his last two years he looked like Chumlee.

Floyd had talented players. Look at Evan Gilyard, Trey Wade, and others. He was just a stubborn coach and was stuck in his old school ways. Coach Floyd’s assistants were mostly older coaches. If he couldn’t cheat and pay players to attend his school, they mostly bolted for “greener pastures”

Reactions: Autograph Boy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT