ADVERTISEMENT

Tarleton State beats NMSU again

Glad to see Billy doing what he does best. The coach was close to medical retirement in an assisted facility. Maybe the spirit of Haskins sent him to Stephenville to build up a mid major from scratch, literally?

He said "!No mas!" to bigger programs; too many demons he stated before his current stint. The man went thru one helluva catharsis and this time I believe him.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I don't see him leaving Tarleton. I think the only reason he took was his relationship with Lonn Reissman, their AD. At this point in his career Stephenville is the perfect for Billy. Reissmann was a great basketball coach and as AD spearheaded their move to D1. He had to renovate memorial stadium first to get the to D1. I'm sure now he's working on an arena to replace Wisdom gym. He's got a lot of friends on the A&M board of regents. I-m sure they will have a new arena in the next three or four years. I think this is the Billy's last stop.

UTEP would have been his last stop if we'd chosen him over Floyd. Not going to say I knew Floyd would be a disappointment, but he was second to Billy in my book.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
UTEP would have been his last stop if we'd chosen him over Floyd. Not going to say I knew Floyd would be a disappointment, but he was second to Billy in my book.
I can imagine that 2010 team with a healthy Billy G and the return of Moultrie. Unfortunately that was just 1 year before he got hired at Tech and got in trouble for player mistreatment and then got sick. It was a bad time for him. If he were hired after CTF left it would have been much better timing, but he would had a lot more work to do.

I'm a fan of his, but the poor guy had some major problems to deal with around that time. For all we know he could have fallen into some old haunts and wound up making it a "last stop" in other ways. Im glad to see him back in coaching. Hope he's successful

That's "former UTEP great" Leonard Owens, TD. My memory must be failing me in my old age.
I'm a fan of his, but the poor guy had some major problems to deal with around that time. For all we know he could have fallen into some old haunts and wound up making it a "last stop" in other ways. Im glad to see him back in coaching. Hope he's successful

I agree completely. At that point in his life his demons were winning the battle. Now that he has control over his demons I would welcome him back at UTEP with open arms, should that decision ever be made.

This. If he had come back he probably would be dead now. I worked at UTEP during Barbee and Floyd’s first year, and the stories I heard from staff bout Billy G.....UTEP enabled him and turned a blind eye to his shenanigans. The best thing for him would be to stay away, if he values his recovery.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT