TCU
Texas
Texas A&M
USC
Utep
Washington

Last edited:
Reactions: picks up
”I can't believe it took UTEP so long to offer.” ”Why does UTEP even offer, they have no chance.”
Good that they offered. You never know.

Is this kid really that good or his he also riding the coat tails of AJ?

You still have to offer even if you have no chance. Look at O'Maury Samuel out of Los Lunas. Went to Michigan, played a couple of years. Gets kicked out and now he has NMSU.

You hope these young men go out there, go off big time and represent, but they are just as likely to seek a transfer in a year or two.

Some. Realistic fans wouldn’t. Hard to imagine any good players wanting to play at UTEP, hometown or not.

People didn't think Utep had a chance at Deion Hankins. He had better offers that Utep. Aaron Jones helped with Hankins maybe he can help p with T.Jones. Aaron Jones showed that you can make the NFL going to a smaller school. If T Jones goes to Bama or any of these other big schools. He will be waiting in line and probably doesnt play until his senior season.

Some. Realistic fans wouldn’t. Hard to imagine any good players wanting to play at UTEP, hometown or not.

But this time I think Utep strikes out. He will probably put Utep in his top 5 just to be nice. My guess I would say Texas and Alabama are his top 2 so far.

Is it me or is EP pumping out more FBS talent? Back in the day, we would have the occasional Rodriguez or Britton but now it seems every year we have a few kids being recruited to FBS.

Is it me or is EP pumping out more FBS talent? Back in the day, we would have the occasional Rodriguez or Britton but now it seems every year we have a few kids being recruited to FBS.

Its Fort Bliss it's not home grown El Pasoans. But that's cool now we just need Basketball to pick it up.

Reactions: kickballpro
Its Fort Bliss it's not home grown El Pasoans. But that's cool now we just need Basketball to pick it up.
What changed in the last 20 years? Did they start sending better soldiers to EP? Hasn't Fort Bliss always been here?

What changed in the last 20 years? Did they start sending better soldiers to EP? Hasn't Fort Bliss always been here?

There has been other players highly recruited. Remember Mike Jefferson and Rufus Brown?? There was another player in the same class as Mike Jefferson I forgot his name.

Also 13 more FBS teams than there were when Rob Rod played
I went to school with his little brother, Ruben. I saw he ended up being a sheriff. Then later on I saw him on the EP Times for sexual misconduct against a woman he arrested.

How many El Paso High School kids got a P5 basketball offer?

Cliff Tucker
I watched Kenny Thomas play at (against) El Paso High when he was a junior. Wasnt he an All-American his senior year in Albuquerque? I'm sure he had power 5 offers. Not sure how he or especially Roman Martinez got away from UTEP.

I watched Kenny Thomas play at (against) El Paso High when he was a junior. Wasnt he an All-American his senior year in Albuquerque? I'm sure he had power 5 offers. Not sure how he or especially Roman Martinez got away from UTEP.

I don’t have a problem if kids want to leave El Paso and play elsewhere, even if fans don’t agree with it. I only have a problem with kids UTEP didn’t recruit and became studs elsewhere. Like the Newton bros. I believe Terry didn’t offer either one and if they become studs then that sucks.

I don’t have an issue with KT and Roman going to play for the Lobos.

Reactions: axingfools1
In Kenny Thomas's case he played AAU ball for a NM team durning the summer, coach was the same guy who ended up being HS coach in ABQ, dad was a trucker if I remember and the coach got him a job in Abq as well. Kinda a wink, wink deal with UNM. Martinez's family was originally from Grants NM and wasn't a stretch he ended up back north. The Newton kids wanted to leave plain and simple, made it clear to both UTEP and NMSU they weren't interested in playing ball in the area.

Reactions: axingfools1
T. Jones has to be the most heralded HS football recruit coming out El Paso in recent memory. While I don’t expect a player like him play for the Miners, I sure hope he doesn’t disappoint us in choosing a school like UNM or UTSA.

With the offers he has...ain’t no way in heyull!!

I dont think he'll go to one of the mentioned schools. However, I hope he doesnt feel pressured to sign with one of the super powers. It happens to kids all the time from places that dont put out blue chips. They think they have to sign with Alabama,LSU, Clemson, Ohio State or USC. There will be a lot of people in his ear saying he owes it to the city to go a power school. I hope that he feels like if hes a better fit at Ole Miss or Kentucky he goes there instead of Bama or LSU. Same for Minnesota or Michigan state over OSU. CAL or Utah over USC. So many kids come out of these football wastelands and feel pressured to sign with a super power only never to be heard or seen again. I hope hes got some good people in his corner who have his best interest in mind. The most important thing is to find a school you're comfortable at and fit in schematically. On the the other hand if he goes to Bama LSU or OU I hope he tears it up.

Last edited:
IMO he needs a medium level school that will use his skills early and provide him with exposure. If he goes to a big, big time major like Alabama for example he won't see the field for two years and get undercut by a highly skilled or regarded prospect, which these schools sign in numbers every year. If you look the starters of a NFL roster you often find players from everywhere in the college spectrum not just big football U.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
IMO he needs a medium level school that will use his skills early and provide him with exposure. If he goes to a big, big time major like Alabama for example he won't see the field for two years and get undercut by a highly skilled or regarded prospect, which these schools sign in numbers every year. If you look the starters of a NFL roster you often find players from everywhere in the college spectrum not just big football U.

Yes, true. If he ends up at a school like Alabama though, he’s competing with the best of the best every single day. More so than at Iowa St, Kentucky, USC, and Minnesota.

Ole Miss ,Arizona st,or TCU would be good.

Because USC and the Pac12 are so great these days! USC is definitely a notch below Bama, LSU, Auburn, Clemson, Ohio St.... USC doesn’t get the best of the best anymore.

They had the ninth most nfl draft picks the last ten years. They still get the best they just underperform.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT