ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Football Magazine-Sunrise in El Paso. THE FOOTBALL FUTURE HAS NEVER BEEN BRIGHTER

Jun 22, 2015
Great article on El Paso football in the newly released Dave Campbell's Texas Football Magazine. Starts with the Canutillo Effect; then on to the Kugler Effect; followed by the Jones Brothers Effect. Sounds like El Paso's mojo is rising in Texas football.

There is a four page feature spread about El Paso football in addition to the usual Miner/CUSA write up.

On page 46, POWER POLL, UTEP ranks number seven of the twelve FBS programs in the state, the highest ranking member of the mid-majors, just after Texas Tech and Houston, which in my mind are no better teams than Kugler's UTEP Miners. Following that train of thought, that puts UTEP football in a fifth place ranking in Texas FBS programs out of twelve. Two of those teams, TCU and Baylor, are predicted contenders for the national title. That's a pretty strong showing for the start of a third year for Coach Sean Kugler, el al.

GO MINERS!!

Last edited:
How can we be ranked ahead of Rice when they have pretty much owned us the last few years.???
Not only are we a better team than Texas Tech and Houston like minerdefiner said, but Texas and Texas A$M as well. After this upcoming season we will be better than TCU and Baylor. This is only the beginning...

Last edited:
Coach Kug is doing a hell of a job.
I expect for Coach Kug to get some calls from some other schools.
Lets just hope he stays faithfull. Our defensive coach will be getting
a lot of calls and we he did at the end of last year.
We need to sell out the games to keep our coaches.

Go Miners..

Actually we need Stull to step up and aggressively try to keep coachs. There is a misconception UTEP cant pay higher coaches salaries. We can pay more but Stull doesnt want to give a coach the power he thinks would come along with a bigger contract. All ad's have and exert power over their coaches, however few ad's exert more control than Stull. He likes being the strong man. Kugler will get calls no doubt hes a great coach. I just hope stull has some sort of plan to keep him and doesnt just encourage him out the door and wish him well. We have boosters who are willing and ready to step up to help keep a coach, stull just has to ask.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Houston is not a power 5 school.
You are correct re Houston, Minerforlife. Pardon my clumsy wording. That inference was not intended.The intended takeaway from my post was that there is a great feature article in the magazine about how football in El Paso, from high school to UTEP, is on the rise. I enjoyed it. Thought others might too.

Last edited:
Reactions: FarWestTexas
Thank you for posting the article. Im happy this board is finally talking about footbal. I shouldnt have even mentioned houston, i just hate that school and dont want them getting anymore credit than they are due.

How can we be ranked ahead of Rice when they have pretty much owned us the last few years.???
Not only are we a better team than Texas Tech and Houston like minerdefiner said, but Texas and Texas A$M as well. After this upcoming season we will be better than TCU and Baylor. This is only the beginning...
The Power Poll which ranks UTEP above Rice is just a prediction. Read the article. I'm not sure I would agree with placing UTEP over Rice either. I think the sportswriters that created the poll are saying that Rice's defense could be suspect this year. They go on to say Rice could finish 10-2 or 2-10.

Regarding your other comments, I get it. You mock anybody with anything good to say about UTEP. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that your point is to balance out the other overzealous posters. If that is your mission in life, so be it. I don't care if you think I'm a homer. I didn't write the articles in the magazine and I don't live, nor have I ever lived, in El Paso. I'm just a Miner fan.

Maybe Dave Campbell is a UTEP homer.

.....and TEXAS.....are you kidding me??? That place is an absolute shambles. They have a great coach in Charlie Strong and he's trying to clean house but the jury is still out as to whether that whole thing is going to gel. I hope it does for Coach Strong's sake. I guess we'll find out how that drama plays out when UTEP visits DKR Memorial Stadium next year. I'll be there. How 'bout you, Epsilon?

To clear up one more point, I didn't say UTEP is better than Houston and Texas Tech. I said that in my opinion Houston and Texas Tech are not better than UTEP.

So, ranked (in the prediction) below UTEP are Rice, Texas State, UTSA, North Texas, and SMU. Would that have been the case three years ago?

You gotta admit it's getting better, Epsilon.

Last edited:
Reactions: UTEPy79

Kugler will be successful because he sticks with a plan and doesn't give two wits what publications or what Baylor or other programs do.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Thank you for posting the article. Im happy this board is finally talking about footbal. I shouldnt have even mentioned houston, i just hate that school and dont want them getting anymore credit than they are due.

Regardless of how much you hate them, get used to the credit they've received, and will continue to receive. With Tom Herman at the helm, they will only get better and better. Their 2016 recruiting class is in the top 30 on almost all sites. They may be in the 30s on rivals.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Kugler will be successful because he sticks with a plan and doesn't give two wits what publications or what Baylor or other programs do.

Totally agree. Now if he can just get their web folks to update the site with practice interviews, etc. from 2015, instead of 2014, then they'd be on to something good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT