ADVERTISEMENT

The day is here. Renovations to be announced on Friday

This is long overdue. Does anyone know what will be announced?
My guess with no sources or anything, is it will be announced that there will be different phases in where they will upgrade the Sun Bowl.

First, and in my opinion the most easiest, concourse and bathrooms upgrades will probably be the first phase, wouldn't be surprised if the some seating in the Bowl is fixed or upgraded, and that big crack or whatever it is on the east side will be re-done.

Then I think the big two phases will be re-doing the south endzone with something similar to what NMSU built on their south end, but it will feature bigger and newer offices, luxury boxes, and I think new locker rooms as well. It will be a major face lift that could give the Sun Bowl a major modern look in the end. The final phase could be the press box...

Big question, is after these upgrades, can the Sun Bowl Association pimp their bowl to the College Football Playoff, or New Years Six?

Here's more context from MR....

Reactions: picks up
Big question, is after these upgrades, can the Sun Bowl Association pimp their bowl to the College Football Playoff, or New Years Six?
Surely not. A more achievable goal might be jumping a few spots in the bowl pecking order. We would probably need to pony up a bit more in the bowl payout for that to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
In the meantime we can help the Sun Bowl be crowned the twitter champions. Help them defeat the Valero Bowl and make the finals.

Sure not. A more achievable goal might be jumping a few spots in the bowl pecking order. We would probably need to pony up a bit more in the bowl payout for that to happen.
This is Alamo's response every time the SB makes a move.
2aa662ab509010384a243736a9085901ff53aae2797f96f4739dc309c5f619db.jpg

I would love to see orange and blue hard plastic benches that would look Dope! Not too mention better than the aluminum seating currently in place.

LMAO @Roy_Bigwood_05

Sun Bowl to NY6 or CFP!!!!!!
Why you laughing at a legit question I posed to the board for a legit discussion?

I'm no bowl or expert or claim to be one, and I know it's not easy to just walk into a room and say add us to the CFP, but if these upgrades are legit, does it give the Sun Bowl some ammo to at least try to make this bowl game a bigger deal?

I think that's a legit question...

Reactions: HeWore62
It’s about as legit as asking if the Sun Bowl tournament is going to be televised on ESPN or replacing the Maui Invitational.

Take a look at the NY6/CFP stadiums and cities and then ask yourself if El Paso is even close to those. There’s your answer.

Why you laughing at a legit question I posed to the board?

I'm no bowl or expert or claim to be one, and I know it's not easy to just walk into a room and say add us to the CFP, but if these upgrades are legit, does it give the Sun Bowl some ammo to at least try to make this bowl game a bigger deal?

It is something to aspire for. The Sun Bowl is currently the oldest bowl game that’s not part of the NYB rotation. It has more history than 6/7 NYB. There are only 10 non NYB games that payout more than the Sun Bowl. Some are only a few hundred thousand more.

With the right updates and increasing the payout as @FeralFelidae mentioned then we could be onto something. First thing would be to move up the pecking order. We are not that far from being one of the top non NYB in the country.

It’s about as legit as asking if the Sun Bowl tournament is going to be televised on ESPN or replacing the Maui Invitational.

Take a look at the NY6/CFP stadiums and cities and then ask yourself if El Paso is even close to those. There’s your answer.
The Sun Bowl has clout, history, a legit TV deal, and major upgrades will make it look sexier, will it be enough to grab a CFP bid, HELL NO compared to the new domes in Minneapolis and Atlanta the new stadium coming in Vegas and LA in the future so yeah the CFP is wayyyy far fetched now that I think about. a NY6 spot though? long shot too, but all I'm saying is it gives the Sun Bowl ammo to at minimum give it the old college try to bid, that's all I'm asking, I know its almost impossible, but will the SB try is the question I was posing.

Reactions: HeWore62
No. They have no chance. El Paso is not a destination city. No fans/players start the season saying, “Gee, I want to visit El Paso in December”

I’m not saying it’s not nicer in EP during the winter. Just that nobody is comes here for Vacation. It’s not a destination city. People will still go to Dallas in December because there’s tons of stuff to do. Nobody is coming to EP unless they have to.

Serious question, are you an idiot or were you involved in a car accident that damaged your brain?

I’m not saying it’s not nicer in EP during the winter. Just that nobody is comes here for Vacation. It’s not a destination city. People will still go to Dallas in December because there’s tons of stuff to do. Nobody is coming to EP unless they have to.

Serious question, are you an idiot or were you involved in a car accident that damaged your brain?
Nope we just think differently. You have that loser oh poor us nothing will ever happen mentality. And I have a go getter let’s make it work one way or another attitude.

El Paso will never be like Dallas, Houston, New York, etc, and that’s okay.

El Paso can’t even demolish 1 crappy neighborhood and build an arena. The city has and always be 2nd rate. Again, that’s fine, but no real pro sports teams or anything are ever coming here.

El Paso will never be like Dallas, Houston, New York, etc, and that’s okay.

El Paso can’t even demolish 1 crappy neighborhood and build an arena. The city has and always be 2nd rate. Again, that’s fine, but no real pro sports teams or anything are ever coming here.
It still doesn’t stop us from being able to be the best non NYB available. We already have a lot of tools in place. Need a few more like a better sponsor to give better payout and some improvements to the Sun Bowl. Keep getting better and staying as the top NYB and we never know what might open up in the future. (Never mind shovelshut knows nothing will ever happen so why even try)

The Pinstripe Bowl and several other Bowl games pay more the Sun Bowl. Keep thinking that the Sun Bowl can move up the pecking order.

People would rather play in a baseball stadium in late December than come to the Sun Bowl.

The Pinstripe Bowl and several other Bowl games pay more the Sun Bowl. Keep thinking that the Sun Bowl can move up the pecking order.

People would rather play in a baseball stadium in late December than come to the Sun Bowl.
I’ve already covered that on my posts above. To be exact it’s 10 bowls that pay more. That why I said we need a better sponsor to move up the ladder. Anything else you would like to add that has already been mentioned?

So a better sponsor is going to make the Sun Bowl leap frog 10 Bowl games? Sure guy
That’s the typical El Paso inferiority complex talking. I’ll try to dumb it down for you. 25 years ago when the Alamo bowl first began they ranked 18/18 in terms of payout. Little by little year by year they worked their way up. They made improvements to the stadium and grabbed better sponsors along the way. After Valero took over the bowl it made major improvements. Now it seats as second to only the citrus bowl as far as pay out for non NYB.

We don’t have to start from the bottom as they did. We are good middle of the pack bowl that already has a lot of advantages other bowls don’t or didn’t. The improvements to the Sun Bowl might be enough to entice a better sponsor and help us move from 10 to 7. Then in a few years make more moves and go from 7 to 4 then into the top 3.

Go ahead and keep that loser mentality alive I see it prevails in you.

So why hasn’t the Sun Bowl improved in those 25 years? Still on CBS, still barely above .500 teams. I guess things will just improve overnight and the Alamo Bowl will stop trying. Okay.

I think something got lost and Shovel as usual os just being an Ass now. He started off ok and is absolutely right about the Sun bowl never becoming one of the BCS 6. However yea they could possibly move up to New Years or higher on the pecking order one day. Due to its history and upgrades could happen and pass Alamo and Holiday of the money and backing was put behind it. Is say itd take a pay out of about 4 mil each.

So why hasn’t the Sun Bowl improved in those 25 years? Still on CBS, still barely above .500 teams. I guess things will just improve overnight and the Alamo Bowl will stop trying. Okay.
They have improved the payout has increased through the years. They have experimented with different P5 tie ins.

Still on CBS? Are you kidding. Why are you trying to use that as a negative? That’s one of the major advantages we have over other bowls. You can watch the Sun Bowl without a cable subscription.

Ok man I guess ranked teams and teams that win 8+ games are considered just above .500 in your book.

Like I just said in the post above little by little year by year not overnight.

No the Alamo bowl will not stop trying that’s why I said a reasonable goal is to be one of the top 3 non NYB games.

They have improved the payout has increased through the years. They have experimented with different P5 tie ins.

Still on CBS? Are you kidding. Why are you trying to use that as a negative? That’s one of the major advantages we have over other bowls. You can watch the Sun Bowl without a cable subscription.

Ok man I guess ranked teams and teams that win 8+ games are considered just above .500 in your book.

The 2012 Game had 7-5 USC vs 6-7 GaTech. Still have the same conferences tied in.

Being on CBS isn’t bad, but maybe they could try putting it at night or moving the date around. It’s never on the same date or day. Have to work around the NFL. Try something new.

The Sun bowl won’t move up in order because the conferences won’t allow it. What do the players do when they come here? They go to Cattlemans, get a pair of boots, and go to Ft Bliss. Alamo Bowl has San Antonio, no way the PAC 12 is sending a better team to El Paso. It’s just not happening. Think the ACC is going to send the best teams out here? No way.

Reactions: EPTUTEP
The 2012 Game had 7-5 USC vs 6-7 GaTech. Still have the same conferences tied in.

Being on CBS isn’t bad, but maybe they could try putting it at night or moving the date around. It’s never on the same date or day. Have to work around the NFL. Try something new.

The Sun bowl won’t move up in order because the conferences won’t allow it. What do the players do when they come here? They go to Cattlemans, get a pair of boots, and go to Ft Bliss. Alamo Bowl has San Antonio, no way the PAC 12 is sending a better team to El Paso. It’s just not happening. Think the ACC is going to send the best teams out here? No way.

Alright I’ve made my points.

When your son tells you he want to be president make sure to shut down those dreams right away.

Reactions: Cube Jack
Alright I’ve made my points.

When your son tells you he want to be president make sure to shut down those dreams right away.

If he’s a b student and wants to be an art major in college, I won’t have to. Much like I don’t need to tell Bernie the Sun Bowl will never be a major Bowl game.

Bull s—t

Why you laughing at a legit question I posed to the board for a legit discussion?

There are currently bowl games in the following stadiums and they aren't in the CFP:

San Francisco 49ers stadium
Tennessee Titans stadium
Carolina Panthers stadium
Jacksonville Jaguars stadiium
Houston Texans stadium
Las Vegas Raiders new $2 billion stadium
Detroit Lions stadium

How do you think the renovated Sun Bowl fits in with these?

There are currently bowl games in the following stadiums and they aren't in the CFP:

San Francisco 49ers stadium
Tennessee Titans stadium
Carolina Panthers stadium
Jacksonville Jaguars stadiium
Houston Texans stadium
Las Vegas Raiders new $2 billion stadium
Detroit Lions stadium

How do you think the renovated Sun Bowl fits in with these?

Facts and rational are two things most posters on here don’t understand. The Sun Bowl is the best Bowl game and stadium ever. All those cities have worse weather and no Lucchese boot stores. El Paso rocks!!!!!!!

I actually agree with shovelman. What the hell Roy? Did you see what you asked? You asked if maybe El Paso can host a BCS playoff game??? Lol. This reminds me when people say " there is no such thing as a dumb question". Roy that was a dumb question.

Why stop there? After BCS playoff game. Maybe el paso can also place bids for Super Bowl and the Olympics????

Reactions: ShovelMan66
I actually agree with shovelman. What the hell Roy? Did you see what you asked?

There might be hope for you Fili. Congratulations on using your brain and not blindly supporting any far flung fantasy from another poster regarding UTEP or El Paso.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT