ADVERTISEMENT

The day is here. Renovations to be announced on Friday

I wonder if/when Individual seats are installed in The Sun Bowl how much of a hassle it will be. Because they seats take up more space than an aluminum bench the maximum capacity of the stadium will assuredly be reduced. So then they would have to move season ticket holders around. That could get messy. But that has to be a long term goal for the athletic department. Sitting on a bench with no back is not comfortable at all.
I meant new plastic Utep Colored bench seating with back rests. Not actual seats. Yeah that would reduce the seating, by quite a bit.

I meant new plastic Utep Colored bench seating with back rests. Not actual seats. Yeah that would reduce the seating, by quite a bit.

Waller-TX1.jpg

So you mean adding backs to the existing benches? That’s probably not a bad idea. Probably more cost effective.

Who says that new seats and backs, etc are not part of a plan? If UTEP went balls out and put $100 million into the Sun Bowl asap, what good would it do? Without a respectable team and wins, these improvements mean NOTHING.

Who says that new seats and backs, etc are not part of a plan? If UTEP went balls out and put $100 million into the Sun Bowl asap, what good would it do? Without a respectable team and wins, these improvements mean NOTHING.
I agree the product on the field is primary. Maybe we'll see more omprovennts in the future and winning will help.

Reactions: axingfools1
Finish the concourse part by the start of this season?

http://kfoxtv.com/news/local/utep-announces-new-plans-for-sun-bowl

Second, don't blame this all on Stull. Most of it lies on Kugler (and Price). Both coaches underachieved "bigly" the last thirteen years and while we had illusions of MWC dancing through our minds, Uncle Bob did drew out plans and according to rumor, had willing (corporate) participants to lease his "luxury" boxes. Then reality slapped UTEP like a biatch. UTEP doesn't have the funding to build such things because fans would rather drop their money on 4x4's speeding around in the dirt rather than watch a football program who can't even compete for a CUSA West title.

The $15 million renovation is a nice thing but way, way off the target of what the Sun Bowl needs to be a premier modern college bowl stadium. We as fans own it. We told Stull to hire Price and Kugler (admit it; we did) so here we are hoping a former KSU assistant (who was going to be terminated anyways) who runs an offense UTEP fans have not seen before can at least bring hope.

Last edited:
Senter has to develop better relationships with the bigger donors. I commend him for his public engagement. However, the town hall crowd will go games if the teams are winning and not if they're losing. The donations collected will be nominal. Every person makes a difference but a few people make a huge difference. Senter has to focus the lion share of his focus and energy on the big boosters outside El Paso. This is the group that's hes off to a very rocky start with. The scope of the project was much bigger but there is a lot of money on the sidelines. Chris Park has done a great job of outreach. However, the message from comes from the top and that message hasn't been clear or delivered well. I like Senter I want him to succeed, however he must focus more and prioritize our of town donors. All donors are not equal and can't be treated as such.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Senter has to develop better relationships with the bigger donors. I commend him for his public engagement. However, the town hall crowd will go games if the teams are winning and not if they're losing. The donations collected will be nominal. Every person makes a difference but a few people make a huge difference. Senter has to focus the lion share of his focus and energy on the big boosters outside El Paso. This is the group that's hes off to a very rocky start with. The scope of the project was much bigger but there is a lot of money on the sidelines. Chris Park has done a great job of outreach. However, the message from comes from the top and that message hasn't been clear or delivered well. I like Senter I want him to succeed, however he must focus more and prioritize our of town donors. All donors are not equal and can't be treated as such.

Why do you think Senter is off to a bad start with big donors? Unless you know some mega-money people I think we don’t know for sure.

I get what you’re saying that Senter has to chum it up with the people with the most money but he can’t do what Stull did and compeltely neglect the regular fans. There has to be a certain level of balance. If it’s true that donors were the reason Floyd stayed as long as he did and they wielded considerable influence then that’s a recipe for disaster as well.

Last edited:
I was thinking what would we have preferred for $15 million. The planned renovations or an indoor practice facility?

I was thinking what would we have preferred for $15 million. The planned renovations or an indoor practice facility?

How does an IPF make the game better for fans? The IPF does not generate money like renovations can. The IPF is for the players and coaches.

Can you please list any other schools that did not renovate their old stadium and chose to install an IPF instead?
You know how to use google. Do it yourself.

You want to generate money you have to win. Of what good will all those new luxury boxes be if no one wants to go see a losing team?

An IPF gives you a big boost in recruiting. With better recruits it should translate into more wins. Wins will turn into people buying tickets and donations. That extra money can be used to make major remodeling to the Sun Bowl.

What exactly are you trying to argue. Didn’t you say the following quote just a few days ago?
If UTEP went balls out and put $100 million into the Sun Bowl asap, what good would it do? Without a respectable team and wins, these improvements mean NOTHING.
It seems that if I say black you say white. If I say water you say fire...

You don’t need an IPF to have a respectable team and win. Boise St didn’t have an IPF when they started winning, TCU and Houston didn’t either. Not sure if they do now. NMSU won a Bowl game last year and they’re lucky to get 10k for a game and they still were able to get players for a winning season and bowl win. No IPF either.

Sorry, that these concepts are too hard for you too grasp.

You don’t need an IPF to have a respectable team and win. Boise St didn’t have an IPF when they started winning, TCU and Houston didn’t either. Not sure if they do now. NMSU won a Bowl game last year and they’re lucky to get 10k for a game and they still were able to get players for a winning season and bowl win. No IPF either.

Sorry, that these concepts are too hard for you too grasp.
Boise st opened theirs in 2006 the next season they made their first BCS Bowl. TCU opened theirs in 2007 two years later they made back to back BCS bowls. Houston just opened theirs. NMSU has made one bowl game in 60 years. So expect them to go back to irrelevance.

Not sure what concept you’re trying to help me grasp. From the examples you provided I was able to show that an IPF took those programs to the next level.

Sorry that you’re lonely and just want to argue over the pettiest shit.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
To get to the next level, you need to start somewhere and none of those teams built an IPF and then started winning. Doesn’t work that way. But okay man, whatever.

To get to the next level, you need to start somewhere and none of those teams built an IPF and then started winning. Doesn’t work that way. But okay man, whatever.

The other day you asked why we, as fans, would care about an upgraded locker room. Sounds like you put an IPF in the same vein.

Do you think the answer to why we would care about either is that it just might increase UTEP’s appeal and bring in a higher caliber of player? The bling matters.

Reactions: develman
Do you think the answer to why we would care about either is that it just might increase UTEP’s appeal and bring in a higher caliber of player? The bling matters.

Winning is more important. Boise St had their IPF open in February 2006 and went 73-16 the 7 seasons before that (1999-2005) with 4 bowl wins and 6 conference championships. They still won games and championships without one and unlike El Paso, Boise could actually use an IPF during the football season.

Troy went 11-2 last year, tied for the SBC championship, and upset #25 LSU in Baton Rouge, all without an IPF. How do they get players to do all that???

Winning is more important. Boise St had their IPF open in February 2006 and went 73-16 the 7 seasons before that (1999-2005) with 4 bowl wins and 6 conference championships. They still won games and championships without one and unlike El Paso, Boise could actually use an IPF during the football season.

Troy went 11-2 last year, tied for the SBC championship, and upset #25 LSU in Baton Rouge, all without an IPF. How do they get players to do all that???

Does not change the fact that they would both increase appeal to a recruit.

What do you mean Boise could actually use an IPF? As if EP couldn’t? Why do you think UH got one? And before you say because of rain, I can assure you heat was just as much the driving force.

Last edited:
It’s cold in Boise and it’s not in El Paso. It actually snows there. Houston is very humid and while it’s hot here, it’s more bearable to most people. It would help UTEP draw players. Doesn’t mean they’ll be better players though.

Winning brings fans
Amenities keep fans

Without those 2 things, an IPF is irrelevant.

It’s cold in Boise and it’s not in El Paso. It actually snows there. Houston is very humid and while it’s hot here, it’s more bearable to most people. It would help UTEP draw players. Doesn’t mean they’ll be better players though.

Winning brings fans
Amenities keep fans

Without those 2 things, an IPF is irrelevant.

If it’s 90-95 degrees outside, do you know how hot it is on a synthetic field? Not unusual to get over 140 or even 150 degrees.

It’s not the only selling point by any means, but an IPF would make UTEP fb more attractive.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lil_Train
70% of all high schools on Texas have indoor practice facilities. This includes many 2a and 3a schools.When recruits visit UTEP and we don't have an ipf it leaves negative impression. It's an absolute necessity. We must build an ipf. You're either in the facilities arm race or getting passed by.

If it’s 90-95 degrees outside, do you know how hot it is on a synthetic field? Not unusual to get over 140 or even 150 degrees.

It’s not the only selling point by any means, but an IPF would make UTEP fb more attractive.

So a player would rather have an IPF than win games and play for a good program?

Let’s build an IPF and hire Chuck Veliz for 200k a year.

70% of all high schools on Texas have indoor practice facilities. This includes many 2a and 3a schools.When recruits visit UTEP and we don't have an ipf it leaves negative impression. It's an absolute necessity. We must build an ipf. You're either in the facilities arm race or getting passed by.

WTF?!!! The special needs kids get the older locker room I suppose.....:mad:

"God bless Texas" [I guess]

http://footballscoop.com/news/60-te...s-fort-worth-area-indoor-practice-facilities/

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/edu...ultimillion-dollar-indoor-practice-facilities

"Over the past two decades, Texas communities have spent about $500 million on 144 indoor practice facilities -- buildings with artificial turf fields large enough for football teams to practice safe from the elements. ...

No other state -- not even in the snowy north -- has as many indoor facilities as Texas.

And North Texas is the hub. More than half of the state’s indoor facilities are in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, according to Dallas Morning News research......

A school district’s property tax rate has two elements: one that covers day-to-day operations such as teacher salaries, and another that covers debt service. The two needs are funded separately, and state law prohibits intermingling the funds.

And while property-rich districts are required to send some of their operations tax revenue to the state -- to be redistributed among property-poor districts -- they keep all of the money raised through the debt service tax rate.

That funding model, combined with dramatically rising property values throughout the state, has emboldened school districts to fund projects that they wouldn’t otherwise, said James Quintero, the director of the Center for Local Governance for the conservative think tank Texas Public Policy Foundation." source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcoo...nt-only-about-love-of-the-sport/#55e2b5a436a4

Using shovelshits logic then it’s a no brainer that UTEP should have built the IPF. For the better part of the last 20 years we have averaged some of the highest attendance numbers in the conference and G5 level without a cantina and GECU terrace.

Think outside the box. UTEP should actually brag to recruits that it doesn't have an IPF:

"The weather in El Paso is so good, we don't even need an IPF. Come play for UTEP, where we have the best weather in the country."

The weather in El Paso really is the best, and I'm not kidding.

Reactions: Dmanminer
We bitch about wanting to go and compete with SMU, UH, UTSA, and UNT for the best leftover Texas recruits. But we’re carrying a knife into a gun fight.

For now these small improvements to the Sun Bowl are good. But if we don’t want to fall even further behind those programs we are going to need an IPF soon.

Today’s recruits aren’t impressed by having to practice out in the 100 degree sun when their entire hs career was done indoors with A/C.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
We bitch about wanting to go and compete with SMU, UH, UTSA, and UNT for the best leftover Texas recruits. But we’re carrying a knife into a gun fight.

For now these small improvements to the Sun Bowl are good. But if we don’t want to fall even further behind those programs we are going to need an IPF soon.

Today’s recruits aren’t impressed by having to practice out in the 100 degree sun when their entire hs career was done indoors with A/C.

Bingo!

Keeping up with the Joneses often carries with it a negative connotation. In college fb it is a necessity.

Think outside the box. UTEP should actually brag to recruits that it doesn't have an IPF:

"The weather in El Paso is so good, we don't even need an IPF. Come play for UTEP, where we have the best weather in the country."

The weather in El Paso really is the best, and I'm not kidding.

Right. NIU has an indoor facility. Of course, before it was built, they had a lot of Bowl games, division and conference championships, and a BCS Bowl. And it’s cold up there. Miners don’t have any of that. So yeah let’s build an IPF.....

Right. NIU has an indoor facility. Of course, before it was built, they had a lot of Bowl games, division and conference championships, and a BCS Bowl. And it’s cold up there. Miners don’t have any of that. So yeah let’s build an IPF.....
We’re not competing with NIU for Texas recruits. As mentioned by almost everyone that has contributed to this thread Texas HS kids are used to IPF’s. The other Texas G5 schools we directly battle for Texas recruits have IPF’s.

Why do you even care it’s not like you donate a damn dime to UTEP athletics. You can jump back on the bandwagon when we start winning.

How do you know I don’t?

Just because I don’t agree with everything some of you dummies say, doesn’t mean I’m not a fan. STFU, you don’t know anything.

Blocked.

Reactions: El Paso 1
How do you know I don’t?

Just because I don’t agree with everything some of you dummies say, doesn’t mean I’m not a fan. STFU, you don’t know anything.

Blocked.
Haha you lost.

And I know because you have proudly said it on here. That you don’t attend games and your money goes elsewhere.

The troll couldn’t handle the heat. What a loser. Bob would be disappointed in you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT