ADVERTISEMENT

The fate of UTEP athletics

LTMiner61

All Star
Apr 15, 2004
I believe the fate of UTEP athletics has very little to do with the qualities and attributes of our current coaches in our revenue sports. It's has been, and will continue to be, a revolving door of coaches. The fate of the future of UTEP athletics rests on local/regional corporations, companies, and families. This is about .01% of the population in metro El Paso. Either they buy into the program, or we will settle for chump change. These top .01% must form a collective to provide substantial NIL deals, or we can kiss competitive sports goodbye. They have to step up now. History has proven that the relationship with these small amount of business leaders and UTEP has resulted in tokenism. (Look at the Foster's gift to Baylor as compared to his giving to UTEP as an example.) I won't hold my breath that it will happen, but hey, I'm a lifelong UTEP fan and will continue to do my share in finances and other support.

GO MINERS!

Reactions: Vegasminer
I don’t know if this NIL deal era of college sports can last forever. What’s going to happen when one of these kids who’s making 7 figures wants to transfer?

Reactions: kickballpro
I don’t know if this NIL deal era of college sports can last forever. What’s going to happen when one of these kids who’s making 7 figures wants to transfer?
Theoretically, they aren't tied to the program that they signed with, only the NIL deal. At least that's what's on paper. It's all going to be tested in court and the courts have sided with the players. It's free agency until the Power 5 decide to place boundaries around themselves and the NIL contracts.

Reactions: kickballpro
Theoretically, they aren't tied to the program that they signed with, only the NIL deal. At least that's what's on paper. It's all going to be tested in court and the courts have sided with the players. It's free agency until the Power 5 decide to place boundaries around themselves and the NIL contracts.
That will have to happen. These schools and boosters can’t afford to shell out that type of cash for a kid to up and leave.

We're not going to win any NIL bidding wars. Hell, we couldn't win before the NIL era. Time to accept our place in college athletics. We'll never be the next UH or UCF but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a successful season here and there.

We're not going to win any NIL bidding wars. Hell, we couldn't win before the NIL era. Time to accept our place in college athletics. We'll never be the next UH or UCF but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy a successful season here and there.

Its easy to give a kid from the SEC a deal when hes got 100k followers and an audience of 4million on CBS.

NIL deals are a bit trickier when your game is on CUSAtv and all of your twitter mentions are from UTEP Minero.

Its easy to give a kid from the SEC a deal when hes got 100k followers and an audience of 4million on CBS.

NIL deals are a bit trickier when your game is on CUSAtv and all of your twitter mentions are from UTEP Minero.
A lot of kids won't care as long as they are getting paid. They have already proven that.

Reactions: Rocketsr
Things are moving quickly toward the day of players as employees of schools. Not far fetched to move from that situation to total separation from schools or basically minor league teams using school colors and mascots. That might be better all around. No more pretending we have student athletes with professional coaches. Maybe El Paso will support a double A football team and UTEP can make a little money leasing the Sun Bowl stadium to them.

I think it should be expected for the bball team to make the NCAA once every decade. Throw in a NIT or 2 and that’s it. Let’s be honest, no reason to expect anything more than that.

I think it should be expected for the bball team to make the NCAA once every decade. Throw in a NIT or 2 and that’s it. Let’s be honest, no reason to expect anything more than that.
Sounds about right. In basketball 2 or 3 post season tournaments that start with N every 10 year span. In football around 1 or 2 bowls during the same time frame. Maybe we get very lucky and win a post season game once every 20 years or so. Sounds depressing honestly.

Sounds about right. In basketball 2 or 3 post season tournaments that start with N every 10 year span. In football around 1 or 2 bowls during the same time frame. Maybe we get very lucky and win a post season game once every 20 years or so. Sounds depressing honestly.
So deflating though.

So deflating though.
I guess. That’s how our program is now. If the Miners don’t make the NCAA next year, it will be 13 years in between appearances. If and when Joe Golding is no longer the coach, the program will be far removed from the 80s-90s and 2004-10.

The Miners have made 3 NCAA appearances in 30 years and they were all in a 7 season span. Once every 10 year average.

I guess. That’s how our program is now. If the Miners don’t make the NCAA next year, it will be 13 years in between appearances. If and when Joe Golding is no longer the coach, the program will be far removed from the 80s-90s and 2004-10.

The Miners have made 3 NCAA appearances in 30 years and they were all in a 7 season span. Once every 10 year average.
That’s really kick in the teeth to all the fans who think UTEP is a basketball school. If anything we’re a track/cross country school.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I believe the fate of UTEP athletics has very little to do with the qualities and attributes of our current coaches in our revenue sports. It's has been, and will continue to be, a revolving door of coaches. The fate of the future of UTEP athletics rests on local/regional corporations, companies, and families. This is about .01% of the population in metro El Paso. Either they buy into the program, or we will settle for chump change. These top .01% must form a collective to provide substantial NIL deals, or we can kiss competitive sports goodbye. They have to step up now. History has proven that the relationship with these small amount of business leaders and UTEP has resulted in tokenism. (Look at the Foster's gift to Baylor as compared to his giving to UTEP as an example.) I won't hold my breath that it will happen, but hey, I'm a lifelong UTEP fan and will continue to do my share in finances and other support.

GO MINERS!
It’s up to Wilson and Senter to sell Foster and Hunt on a vision and plan. They have zero obligation to just bail UTEP out.

Foster went to Baylor. Hunt and his wife went to UT.

Speaking of which, where is Wilson? She has completely disappeared.

It’s up to Wilson and Senter to sell Foster and Hunt on a vision and plan. They have zero obligation to just bail UTEP out.

Foster went to Baylor. Hunt and his wife went to UT.

Speaking of which, where is Wilson? She has completely disappeared.
She is on social media quite a bit with the most recent being about her appointment as chair of Hispanic serving research univerties alliance. Includes Arizona, Texas, UNLV and others. Took place in DC recently. I know it's not athletics but she certainly hasn't disappeared. One goal of this alliance is to get more Hispanics involved in PHD programs.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
She is on social media quite a bit with the most recent being about her appointment as chair of Hispanic serving research univerties alliance. Includes Arizona, Texas, UNLV and others. Took place in DC recently. I know it's not athletics but she certainly hasn't disappeared. One goal of this alliance is to get more Hispanics involved in PHD programs.
Yawn

Reactions: T-6 Miner

So basically paid trips to not do much.

She doesn't get paid $500k a year to be on social media.

You don't need to travel to D.C. to get more Hispanics involved in PHD programs.

If we can get several PhDs coming out of UTEP that can donate a couple hundred thousand apiece, that would help. We have a few big donors who give a couple million apiece, but it's not enough.

I have an idea.

We minerdigs apply for a pp loan for like $5 million. We could put it under Ncaanowins name, he wont even notice. Then we just get a top 5 player out of high school to come to UTEP. Then when he goes to the NBA gives us a % of his contract. Who is in???😎😎😎👍👍👍

I have an idea.

We minerdigs apply for a pp loan for like $5 million. We could put it under Ncaanowins name, he wont even notice. Then we just get a top 5 player out of high school to come to UTEP. Then when he goes to the NBA gives us a % of his contract. Who is in???😎😎😎👍👍👍
Wasnt Spencer Dinwiddie doing something like this in the NBA? I thought I read a story about it a few years back. Probably killed by COVID

Wasnt Spencer Dinwiddie doing something like this in the NBA? I thought I read a story about it a few years back. Probably killed by COVID
Im sure that's what agents do. Have you seen the new Adam Sandler movie?? Its kind of like that.

If we can get several PhDs coming out of UTEP that can donate a couple hundred thousand apiece, that would help. We have a few big donors who give a couple million apiece, but it's not enough.

You think every person who obtains a P.H.D. instantly becomes rich?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT