ADVERTISEMENT

The Mess Floyd Left

kickballpro

MI Miner Maniac
Mar 24, 2006
We've heard the opinion the Tony Barbee left a colossal mess thats taken half a decade to recover from. (I am not of that opinion BTW).

Hypothetically, If Floyd left today....Would we be saying that the program is a mess?

The incoming coach would be taking over a program that hasn't made a post season berth in years. The team lost majority of its production. Half the team is new. More than half the roster has never played a division 1 minutes. A fan base that's losing interest.

The incoming coach today would also inherit a Top 15 Class. A scholarship chart that is balanced. A roster full of potential. A schedule that's guaranteed to win a bunch of games. A fanbase that will support a winner and jump on a bandwagon.

The incoming coach would be taking over a program that hasn't made a post season berth in years.

Hey, we made the NIT last season, and that is an accomplishment. We hang a banner for it and always have. With the NCAA in charge of the selection, I'd say it's more merit-based now than in years past.

It's not good enough, I agree, that Floyd hasn't taken us to the Big Dance, but the NIT is a definite step above the CBI.

Reactions: El Paso Chihuahuas
Hey, we made the NIT last season, and that is an accomplishment. We hang a banner for it and always have. With the NCAA in charge of the selection, I'd say it's more merit-based now than in years past.

It's not good enough, I agree, that Floyd hasn't taken us to the Big Dance, but the NIT is a definite step above the CBI.

And we're 2 steps above the CIT!

I would imagine a new coach wouldn't mind stepping into this "mess" if all the recruits were to honor their commitments. Donnie Tyndall, now there's a mess left behind.

If Floyd left it would be a bigger mess. A lot of players would transfer and most recruits would leave too

The people who say Barbee left the program a mess are the Floyd homers, so if Floyd left today they would say he left the program headed in the right direction and Floyd built a strong program, he won at least 20 games a year etc.... Floyd does no wrong according to them and they will give you 1,000 excuses. In my opinion leaving a program a mess is what Jason Rabadeux(sp??) left us kind of what Sadler left us too. His last recruiting class was terrible. So if Floyd left, its fair to say he didn't leave the program a mess but he hasn't improved the program. The program has slightly declined during Floyd's tenure here.

The people who say Barbee left the program a mess are the Floyd homers, so if Floyd left today they would say he left the program headed in the right direction and Floyd built a strong program, he won at least 20 games a year etc.... Floyd does no wrong according to them and they will give you 1,000 excuses. In my opinion leaving a program a mess is what Jason Rabadeux(sp??) left us kind of what Sadler left us too. His last recruiting class was terrible. So if Floyd left, its fair to say he didn't leave the program a mess but he hasn't improved the program. The program has slightly declined during Floyd's tenure here.

But, isn't this job right now in a prime position for a new coach? He hasn't lived up to expectations. However, if we needed a new coach today, this job looks pretty good.

How does the UTEP job look good???? Based on a top 15 recruiting class???? Not one player has played in a Miner uniform yet. Its pointless to rank recruiting classes. These recruiting and ranking sites are just a business. Look at Fred Rouse..they said he was the next Randy Moss coming out of high school. All we have been able to do is win more than 20 games playing in a weak CUSA. Its not that difficult. We have made zero NCAA appearances, zero post season wins under Floyd. In year 5 under Floyd, he has had a senior recruiting class, junior, sophomore and freshman class, and we play a decent mid major in the NIT (Murray State) and we got destroyed. I would expect a coach with NBA experience and college coaching experience at USC and Iowa State to at least be able to beat Murray State in post season competition in his 5th year.

Fred Rouse? A Mike Price Football recruit to make a point about a basketball thread? Well that's new. The rest was a well known rehashed opinion.

Reactions: miner661
Murray State was a tough draw on the road with a very short turnaround -- no way we should have been expected to win that game.

Fred Rouse? A Mike Price Football recruit to make a point about a basketball thread? Well that's new. The rest was a well known rehashed opinion.

Yup. "Nothing new or noteworthy to see here folks. Move along."

The people who say Barbee left the program a mess are the Floyd homers

I've been a Floyd homer for most of his tenure (I'm in "trust but verify" mode right now), but I don't agree that Barbee left Floyd a mess. If anything, Doc left Barbee a mess, and Barbee was able to build a team and left Floyd a team that went to the NIT. Yes, the season after that, Floyd had to rebuild basically the entire team, but the source of these fluctuations, IMO, was the circumstances that "Nebraska Man" Doc left Barbee.

I give Floyd credit for putting in place a steady stream of talent, to get us out of these boom and bust cycles. But now we need to raise the bar.

Murray State was a tough draw on the road with a very short turnaround -- no way we should have been expected to win that game.
No way we should have expected to win the Murray State game????????? Seriously!!!! A CUSA team beat them in the NIT. Murray State isn't Kentucky. Typical Floyd homer. Floyd has a free pass every year here. Just when you think you have heard every Floyd excuse someone comes up with another. People have no expectations for UTEP basketball anymore. As long as we win 20 games is the only expectation now. Oh we won 24 games and 14 of them came against JC level teams. We are awesome.

Last edited:
No way we should have expected to win the Murray State game????????? Seriously!!!! A CUSA team beat them in the NIT. Murray State isn't Kentucky. Typical Floyd homer. Floyd has a free pass every year here. Just when you think you have heard every Floyd excuse someone comes up with another. People have no expectations for UTEP basketball anymore. As long as we win 20 games is the only expectation now. Oh we won 24 games and 14 of them came against JC level teams. We are awesome.

Relax -- my point is simply that that game was a toss-up at best. No way UTEP was or should have been favored to win that game last season.

You're a scratched record continuously spewing the same drivel over and over and over and over...
For as much as you can't tolerate reading the "Floyd homer" stuff, the feeling is mutual regarding your dislike (possibly hate) for the man. We get it. You don't like him...you don't like the fact he has the job he has...you don't like his performance to date...you have deeply ingrained spite for every and anything Tim Floyd. I get the feeling that should he take UTEP to the NCAA Tournament, and actually have some success there, you'd find something else to hate about him. Sad as that is, that's your prerogative. However, the redundancy by which you voice your displeasure contributes to this once enjoyable site becoming an unbearable chore to visit. If that is your goal, congratulations. You've achieved it.

Relax -- my point is simply that that game was a toss-up at best. No way UTEP was or should have been favored to win that game last season.
Why was UTEP not favored or should not have beaten Murray State??? Xavier beat them and we beat Xavier. Remember beating Kentucky, oops a I meant Xavier was the highlight of last season.

Did you bet big on UTEP to win?

Murray State won 29 games, including 25 in a row before their one point loss to Belmont knocked them out of the big dance. Also, it was a home game for them. I'm not saying UTEP couldn't have won -- I'm saying it was a tough draw.

I know everyone refers to this as a top 15 class. I have not seen another website, especially the ones that are usually quoted rank us in the top 50. Is it really a top 15 class? Just seems that the hoops website that has us up there has some major omissions in its top 10. No one in this world can rank us above Maryland, yet Maryland is no where to be found ahead of us.
Not sure if this is really a top 15 class. A good class, yes, and better than most we have had in awhile, but I really doubt the top 15 ranking.

I know everyone refers to this as a top 15 class. I have not seen another website, especially the ones that are usually quoted rank us in the top 50. Is it really a top 15 class? Just seems that the hoops website that has us up there has some major omissions in its top 10. No one in this world can rank us above Maryland, yet Maryland is no where to be found ahead of us.
Not sure if this is really a top 15 class. A good class, yes, and better than most we have had in awhile, but I really doubt the top 15 ranking.

Rankings are meaningless. Remember when UTEP was ranked ahead of Harvard and Stanford in college rankings. UTEP rode that out and the ranking is so laughable I laughed at the signs every time I saw them.

Did you bet big on UTEP to win?

Murray State won 29 games, including 25 in a row before their one point loss to Belmont knocked them out of the big dance. Also, it was a home game for them. I'm not saying UTEP couldn't have won -- I'm saying it was a tough draw.
Did you see their schedule?????? Western Kentucky was probably their best victory last year.

How does the UTEP job look good???? Based on a top 15 recruiting class???? Not one player has played in a Miner uniform yet. Its pointless to rank recruiting classes. These recruiting and ranking sites are just a business. Look at Fred Rouse..they said he was the next Randy Moss coming out of high school. All we have been able to do is win more than 20 games playing in a weak CUSA. Its not that difficult. We have made zero NCAA appearances, zero post season wins under Floyd. In year 5 under Floyd, he has had a senior recruiting class, junior, sophomore and freshman class, and we play a decent mid major in the NIT (Murray State) and we got destroyed. I would expect a coach with NBA experience and college coaching experience at USC and Iowa State to at least be able to beat Murray State in post season competition in his 5th year.

"Its not that difficult" Sorry, but some people will never get it!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT