ADVERTISEMENT

This is on Wilson

Minerforlife

MI Hall of Famer
Sep 11, 2013
The only one who can fix this is Heather Wilson. Right now her athletic department is run by the worst AD in D1. Everyday Senter is employed the situation is only going to get worse. This is all on Wilson now. She has an AD who isn't a leader, can't fundraiser, thinks small and makes terrible hires. He's incompetent. She has to pull the plug and get somebody competent to start fixing this mess. The heat needs to be turned up on Wilson to make a move.

The only one who can fix this is Heather Wilson. Right now her athletic department is run by the worst AD in D1. Everyday Senter is employed the situation is only going to get worse. This is all on Wilson now. She has an AD who isn't a leader, can't fundraiser, thinks small and makes terrible hires. He's incompetent. She has to pull the plug and get somebody competent to start fixing this mess. The heat needs to be turned up on Wilson to make a move.
Somehow I have a feeling this was said verbally or in a letter to the editor during the early years of Dr. Natalico’s tenure as President. Obviously, nothing happened.

I’ll believe it when I see it but for now it’s just Internet forum venting

Contract incencentives are incremental for Senter. Stuck 2 years under his 2019 contract.

Reactions: kickballpro
It's earlier in her Presidency, let's see if she does make a change. I will say that I still think the Golding hire was the right choice. I'm still hoping he gets us to the tourney by year 4 and love his energy. Obviously the extension for Dimel was based on what appeared to be an improvement with the football team. It's apparent what should be a talented team has severally regressed. The coaching of the QB position is particularly concerning. Allowing or play calls to throw deep passes over and over again until it works 1 out of 15 times is insanity! I'd love for Senter and Dimel to go at the end of the year, but at least Dimel. If Senter stays he need to put on his Big Boy Pants and let Dimel go and hire an up and coming FCS Coach such as Eric Morris!

Why would anybody think we were an improving team last year. Look at the back end of the season. They play good in the bowl game but still lost. This year is who they are. Not cause of the players, but failed coaches. A lot of their mistakes should be addressed in practice. Is it? Doesn’t appear to be.

She's actually doing a great job. As sports fans, I think we often forget that the primary role of the president is to improve the academics of the school.
Cannot argue with that. I know I bring her up probably too much on the Miner board, but this is how Renu Khator, UH’s president, was quoted “Successful athletics helps drive student success which is a top priority,” said Khator.

Then, “One of the ways you build brand awareness is through your athletics department. It’s a proven fact that if you have winning athletics, money pours back into the university and our chancellor and president Renu Khator understands that,” said Fertitta.

I don’t think UTEP would be so fortunate as to get the likes of her, but would it be too far out of the realm of possibility to get someone who at least thinks somewhat like her?

Last edited:
Cannot argue with that. I know I bring her up probably too much on the Miner board, but this is it Renu Khator, UH’s president, was quoted “Successful athletics helps drive student success which is a top priority,” said Khator.

Then, “One of the ways you build brand awareness is through your athletics department. It’s a proven fact that if you have winning athletics, money pours back into the university and our chancellor and president Renu Khator understands that,” said Fertitta.

I don’t think UTEP would be so fortunate as to get the likes of her, but would it be too far out of the realm of possibility to get someone who at least thinks somewhat like her?
Completely agree with Khator's perspective in regard to the role college athletics. Nothing will change at UTEP without leadership from the top. Again, UH is just one example of what UTEP needs to pattern themselves after. Sadly, I just don't see it happening.

Cannot argue with that. I know I bring her up probably too much on the Miner board, but this is how Renu Khator, UH’s president, was quoted “Successful athletics helps drive student success which is a top priority,” said Khator.

University of Houston and UTEP have two different academic missions. She was hired specifically to bring money to provide the best education possible to the large Latino population. Had absolutely zero to do with athletics. It would be nice though to have someone that does have an athletic focus. I'm not sure the money is in the community to support the athletic department though, so it might be counterintuitive to hire a president with that focus.

Reactions: minerfan_14
I think it’s time to email every Utep player in the pros and ask for 200,000 to buy out Dismel!

• Haha
Reactions: Lord Chabelo
All Senter (and All Snyder). Local sports media was reporting he had pushed Dimel but Senter changed the narrative, as he often does throughout his career (opposite of Stull who was just hostile at times).

What's even more sad, our two current 2023 commits.

A 5'6 unranked JUCO RB, and a 6'5 QB who is 0-4 on the season (but has decent passing stats).

Two commits for UTEP, UTSA has 12 commits, and 10 are 3*

Time for Dimel and Senter to move on.
UTSA will probably be in the Big 12 within 5 years. UTEP will still be bragging about having more Hispanic graduates.

A 5'6 unranked JUCO RB, and a 6'5 QB who is 0-4 on the season (but has decent passing stats).

Burgess (I think that is who you are referring to) is already on the team. So Dimel has one commit so far for 2023. Pretty much par for the course...sad.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05

Comparing us to UTSA is not really realistic. Even if we were equal to them in facilities (which we are not!), we are at a huge disadvantage in recruiting area. Our more realistic comparison would be a team like New Mexico or Wyoming.

Comparing us to UTSA is not really realistic. Even if we were equal to them in facilities (which we are not!), we are at a huge disadvantage in recruiting area. Our more realistic comparison would be a team like New Mexico or Wyoming.
So we should be (and should have always been) in the Mountain West.

UTSA has stolen whatever little thunder we might have gained in the early MP years. We missed the boat and UTSA jumped on further down the river and took our seat. Good for them. We are still paddling up 💩 creek.

God forbid UTSA start winning in basketball....

So we should be (and should have always been) in the Mountain West.

UTSA has stolen whatever little thunder we might have gained in the early MP years. We missed the boat and UTSA jumped on further down the river and took our seat. Good for them. We are still paddling up 💩 creek.

Yes we should be!

UTSA will probably be in the Big 12 within 5 years. UTEP will still be bragging about having more Hispanic graduates.

I think UTEP is still a better school, academically, than UTSA, but that won't last long. UTSA is just growing by leaps and bounds in every aspect while UTEP stagnates. Unless my kids get full ride, scholarships, I would be very happy with them getting an education at UTSA.

No, please, no! I need something to cling on to in the sea of UTSA graduates I work in.

Reactions: Rot and axingfools1
I think UTEP is still a better school, academically, than UTSA, but that won't last long. UTSA is just growing by leaps and bounds in every aspect while UTEP stagnates. Unless my kids get full ride, scholarships, I would be very happy with them getting an education at UTSA.

No, please, no! I need something to cling on to in the sea of UTSA graduates I work in.
The engineering program is getting a huge boost since the hiring of Wilson. She killing it on the academic side.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT