ADVERTISEMENT

This Team SHOULD DANCE:

Dec 15, 2019
With the injury to Bassey & Cooper being denied eligibility @ WKU there is no reason this UTEP team shouldn't finish Top 70 Kenpom and go dancing. As Archie and Tarke get more reps at some point this group should turn into a tournament team. This team has shown volatility but it is hard for me to buy #238 in offensive efficiency per KP. Ranking #260 in TO's is ridiculous. TO #'s in itself along with rebounding have cost UTEP but I think it will improve. A modest improvement in these offensive efficiency #'s should get UTEP into the #93-#97 cumulative statistical KP range. It all comes down to TO's and rebounding as the foundation. Edwards has the potential to be a consistent second option as does Boum. A few others also.

UTEP could still garner a #13 seed in the tourney and be extremely dangerous in a season full of parity. The same goes for New Mexico State. UTEP against any #4 seed on a protected seeds "neutral" court could be an upset. I think the departure of Hawkins will help Archie and a few others with a higher ceiling.

I am looking forward to conference play. Still many reasons to be excited and support the team. Need to cash in with Bryson still @ UTEP.

Last edited:
I guess all of last season was an anomaly?
So they do get along?

Hawkins enters the transfer portal, Lathon then enters the portal and then Hawkins returns immediately after Lathon leaves. How else can you spin it?

It looks to me like Hawkins told the staff why he was leaving but kept the door cracked open. The staff then sat down with Lathon and he left soon after. Hawkins returning would lead me to believe the Lathon/Hawkins relationship was bad. IF both transferred out within this time frame you could assume they were close and Lathon followed Hawkins.

This is my take. I would probably rather have Lathon playing to his projected potential but this team played like there was a cancer somewhere.

I think coaching always plays a factor in transfers. It was a failed relationship with Terry. Doesn't look good to lose him.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited:
WKU is the team to beat until the fat lady sings. Hawk will be missed but it was very clear CRT "knighted" Lathon to run the team.

Let not start comparing CRT to Floyd transfers. Floyd was a hot mess as soon as Barbee players were gone.

Reactions: hoopsjunkie7
WKU is the team to beat until the fat lady sings. Hawk will be missed but it was very clear CRT "knighted" Lathon to run the team.

Let not start comparing CRT to Floyd transfers. Floyd was a hot mess as soon as Barbee players were gone.

Stansbury is a hot mess with the X & O's. Until he incorporates Anderson into the offense properly they are ripe for the pickens.

So they do get along?

Hawkins enters the transfer portal, Lathon then enters the portal and then Hawkins returns immediately after Lathon leaves. How else can you spin it?

It looks to me like Hawkins told the staff why he was leaving but kept the door cracked open. The staff then sat down with Lathon and he left soon after. Hawkins returning would lead me to believe the Lathon/Hawkins relationship was bad. IF both transferred out within this time frame you could assume they were close and Lathon followed Hawkins.

This is my take. I would probably rather have Lathon playing to his projected potential but this team played like there was a cancer somewhere.

I think coaching always plays a factor in transfers. It was a failed relationship with Terry. Doesn't look good to lose him.

What are your thoughts?
My only problem with what you’re saying is if I’m Lathon and I don’t like Hawkins and they tell me he transfered because of me they then that sounds like Lathon is the winner in all of this situation. No more rival on team and no more having to share playing time. Why transfer out?

Stansbury is a hot mess with the X & O's. Until he incorporates Anderson into the offense properly they are ripe for the pickens.
WKU is similar to UTEP in that they lack a legitimate PG. They have good pieces even without Bassey, but without a guy to run the show, their offense will continue to be inconsistent. They were trying to get Cooper eligible, but that waiver did not happen. Looks like they will be meeting a UTEP team in the same position.

WKU is similar to UTEP in that they lack a legitimate PG. They have good pieces even without Bassey, but without a guy to run the show, their offense will continue to be inconsistent. They were trying to get Cooper eligible, but that waiver did not happen. Looks like they will be meeting a UTEP team in the same position.
Rawls is solid though. I bet Cooper Grad Transfers and never plays for WKU.

Reactions: Lil_Train
So they do get along?

My only problem with what you’re saying is if I’m Lathon and I don’t like Hawkins and they tell me he transfered because of me they then that sounds like Lathon is the winner in all of this situation. No more rival on team and no more having to share playing time. Why transfer out?

I agree with Corona. I thought when I first heard about Hawkins that it was a playing time issue. With Lathon leaving it freed up the playing time Hawkins needed, so he changed his mind. That's my best guess. Otherwise, what reason does Lathon have for leaving when his nemesis was out the door?

That still leaves the question as to why Lathon is leaving. Are there issues between him and the staff?

That's the thing though Hawkins returning was conditional on Lathon leaving. Like I said the door was left open for his return. My guess is Terry told Lathon to go pound sand. The reports on Lathon don't seem to be favorable. The kid appears to be a cancer from a reliable source who attends NW.

Last edited:
Reactions: TxRdKiller
That's the thing though Hawkins returning was conditional on Lathon leaving. Like I said the door was left open for his return. My guess is Terry told Lathon to go pound sand. The reports on Lathon don't seem to be favorable. The kid appears to be a cancer from a reliable source who attends NW.
I guess, but then do we even want someone who quit first? Obviously we need him and will use him but horrible way to handle this situation.

If Terry and the staff wanted Hawkins over Lathon then why not talk to Hawkins before he made his announcement public? It really sounds like this is all hitting Terry blind.

I’m afraid this isn’t over. There’s a lot more to this story.

So they do get along?

What are your thoughts?

I have to agree.

CRT likes them big and Lathon and Boum fit the bill.

Reactions: hoopsjunkie7
I don’t know but that would be my guess. Another possibility is that Terry is a difficult guy to play for. Just not sure.

Hopefully CRT goes and gets a true PG and and a sharp shooter with the available schollies.

Conflict is normal when building team chemistry. A coach has to manage it. It is complex. Some players don't have the skill and maturity to effectively handle their differences. IF it is your recruit you have to own it as a coach. This team is at a certain stage right now where they are trying to find a normal comfort zone before it can transpire into actual performance. In order to progress to performance conflict needs to be monitored and eliminated otherwise there is NO chance for optimal performance.

Although a key player transferring mid season is far from ideal it COULD be a necessary evil for team development. Conflict right now is at its peak. Some could easily argue Terry is not managing conflict well. Ultimately though results (wins) will dictate how good his conflict management skills are.

What matters most is PEAKING at the END of the season. Effective rules and standards have to be met before you can peak. IF you don't buy in then any departure is for the better as it relates to team chemistry. A well oiled machine although relative can only come to fruition with this element of chemistry.

The oceans are very stormy right now. This is a serious conflict stage. I do see this resolving into a more normal cohesive team unit giving this team time to PEAK. Conflict can be perpetual or swept under the rug. We will soon see the fascinating dynamics of the season play out.

UTEP had one of the worse offensives in the country with Lathon running the point. He has the potential to be a very good player. Unfortunately not at UTEP. All reports are NW wanted nothing to do with him. He may not be JJ Caldwell level selfishness or poor character but he has "issues".

There should be a TON of pressure on Terry to right this ship. It is salvageable.

A good coach will IMPOSE more effective standards. IF he can't fire him. I can think of at least 3 young available coaches that could navigate this team into the NCAA Tournament.

Storms can promote growth.

Conflict is normal when building team chemistry. A coach has to manage it. It is complex. Some players don't have the skill and maturity to effectively handle their differences. IF it is your recruit you have to own it as a coach. This team is at a certain stage right now where they are trying to find a normal comfort zone before it can transpire into actual performance. In order to progress to performance conflict needs to be monitored and eliminated otherwise there is NO chance for optimal performance.

Although a key player transferring mid season is far from ideal it COULD be a necessary evil for team development. Conflict right now is at its peak. Some could easily argue Terry is not managing conflict well. Ultimately though results (wins) will dictate how good his conflict management skills are.

What matters most is PEAKING at the END of the season. Effective rules and standards have to be met before you can peak. IF you don't buy in then any departure is for the better as it relates to team chemistry. A well oiled machine although relative can only come to fruition with this element of chemistry.

The oceans are very stormy right now. This is a serious conflict stage. I do see this resolving into a more normal cohesive team unit giving this team time to PEAK. Conflict can be perpetual or swept under the rug. We will soon see the fascinating dynamics of the season play out.

UTEP had one of the worse offensives in the country with Lathon running the point. He has the potential to be a very good player. Unfortunately not at UTEP. All reports are NW wanted nothing to do with him. He may not be JJ Caldwell level selfishness or poor character but he has "issues".

There should be a TON of pressure on Terry to right this ship. It is salvageable.

A good coach will IMPOSE more effective standards. IF he can't fire him. I can think of at least 3 young available coaches that could navigate this team into the NCAA Tournament.

Storms can promote growth.

I appreciate your well formulated response. And as a coach, I agree with damn near everything you said.

Couldn’t help but notice you’re new around here? Are you at liberty to say what your affiliation to UTEP bb is?

I appreciate your well formulated response. And as a coach, I agree with damn near everything you said.

Couldn’t help but notice you’re new around here? Are you at liberty to say what your affiliation to UTEP bb is?

My fiance graduated from UTEP. I consider myself pretty neutral and objective as it relates to anything UTEP basketball. The fact she went to UTEP and follows the team (casually) was a factor in me registering for this message board. I am older (my fiance is 21 yrs younger/I am lucky) :) and I was a season ticket holder during all four UConn National Championships. My father assisted in the AAU circuit on the east coast for a few years. Vin Pastore is a friend of mine. I follow college hoops religiously.

I like El Paso as a city/community. Most of my life has been spent in NYC/CT.

Thank for the board hospitality. I was thinking of bailing. lol

My fiance graduated from UTEP. I consider myself pretty neutral and objective as it relates to anything UTEP basketball. The fact she went to UTEP and follows the team (casually) was a factor in me registering for this message board. I am older (my fiance is 21 yrs younger/I am lucky) :) and I was a season ticket holder during all four UConn National Championships. My father assisted in the AAU circuit on the east coast for a few years. Vin Pastore is a friend of mine. I follow college hoops religiously.

Stick around for a bit. And don't feed the troll(s).

Reactions: Cube Jack

Welcome aboard! Please explain "thinking of bailing".

They liked both of my posts in this thread. How were my posts negative or not friendly? I’m surprised you all are buying their “back story”. They could be another creation of me/us.
Come on a like doesn’t mean shit. I sometimes give likes to people not because I agree with them but to acknowledge their response.

The man has a strong basketball iq and doesn’t repeat the same broken lines over and over, it’s clearly not you guys.

I agree with Corona. I thought when I first heard about Hawkins that it was a playing time issue. With Lathon leaving it freed up the playing time Hawkins needed, so he changed his mind. That's my best guess. Otherwise, what reason does Lathon have for leaving when his nemesis was out the door?

That still leaves the question as to why Lathon is leaving. Are there issues between him and the staff?
He stated it hadn't nothing to do with UTEP, and was 100% family based. If this is true who knows.

I didn't realize that saying Happy New Year back and hope that his predictions come true was rude. Some of you are unbelievable on here and I wonder how you can function outside of this message board.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992

Why can't the A10 being in a hotbed of recruiting talent be a high major? (My kid goes to a A10 school). Just curious.

Jordan's play had suffered since the first few games of the year. I think we all saw it. He wasn't looking for his shot, he seemed unmotivated. It even crossed my mind lately that he seemed to be throwing games. Not sure the reason in his downfall. May have been distractions from family issues, team chemistry etc.

Whatever the case he wasn't the same player he was last year or even during the first NMSU or UNM games. I hope he gets it together but I have to say that if one of the two had to leave, I'm glad that Hawkins stayed. Although I'm not sure Hawkins is in for the long hall. He's got leaving on his mind. We have an outstanding freshman guard signed and Keonte Kennedy waiting in the wings. Deon Stroud is making a push and you never know where Jalen Green will end up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT