ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from last night's game

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2001
There's nothing wrong with this team that cloning Bryson Williams several times can't fix. Williams has had some great games this season, last night was easily his best. He was going around, splitting, and shooting over double teams throughout that second half, making some really difficult shots. An incredible performance.

Our identity this year has been a good defensive team that often struggles on offense. For the first 23 or so minutes last night we flat out sucked in all phases of the game. It was no surprise that we couldn't score, and we still didn't block out on our defensive boards, but the fact that our defense was so atrocious was unexpected. I don't know what happened to flip that switch in the second half, but I hope that it stays flipped.

Most big comebacks these days are made with the winning team hitting a fair number of 3 pointers during their run. Not us. We only made 4-15 three point shots (<27%) in the second half.

I was talking to a UTSA grad this morning at work. He recalled a game last year where the Roadrunners came back from a huge deficit to win. He went to the next game thinking that it was the beginning of something big, only to watch his team lose. I hope that we are instead able to build on this, and it is not just a one off thing.

Until proven otherwise, I'm going to think of last night's game as the turning point of the season, and maybe even a microcosm of the season.

I gave up on the game last night, and was about to give up on the season, but the Miners dug deep and found something and turned the game around. I choose to believe they're also finding a way to turn around the season. At least they showed heart, never giving up last night even though I did.

There's nothing wrong with this team that cloning Bryson Williams several times can't fix. Williams has had some great games this season, last night was easily his best. He was going around, splitting, and shooting over double teams throughout that second half, making some really difficult shots. An incredible performance.

Our identity this year has been a good defensive team that often struggles on offense. For the first 23 or so minutes last night we flat out sucked in all phases of the game. It was no surprise that we couldn't score, and we still didn't block out on our defensive boards, but the fact that our defense was so atrocious was unexpected. I don't know what happened to flip that switch in the second half, but I hope that it stays flipped.

Most big comebacks these days are made with the winning team hitting a fair number of 3 pointers during their run. Not us. We only made 4-15 three point shots (<27%) in the second half.

I was talking to a UTSA grad this morning at work. He recalled a game last year where the Roadrunners came back from a huge deficit to win. He went to the next game thinking that it was the beginning of something big, only to watch his team lose. I hope that we are instead able to build on this, and it is not just a one off thing.
Agree. Great, great comeback. Thank goodness for Williams. I was very surprised Henson had Frohnen guarding him much of the second half, as he has no chance of defending Williams. Again our shooting, outside of Edwards was very poor, but we were able to pull out the victory. Hope the team comes out ready to go on Saturday; they'll need to be.

I would not discount Vila's play, he had some big moments last night and if he can ever find his shot and hit it more often, it will take a lot of pressure off Williams and Edwards. UTSA hit shots that you really can't defend, Jackson and Wallace both are elite scorers but they have little else but a group of pick setters and lane stuffers. As good as their pair are, you have to beat them by limiting the rest of the team. I have to admit last night I came close to walking a half, that was one of the worst 20 min of basketball I have seen UTEP play in a long time and the first 5 min of the 2nd half was lousy as well. the last 15 and OT was as good as this team has played this year. I would hate to think where we would be if this team could no make free throws.

Great comeback! Story of 2 halves, literally. Like Feral says, it's a microcosm of the season. This game showed everything that has been good and bad about this team.

Before the game, everything I read and everything I felt said take the game inside and win. Attack and make free throws. Everything pointed to our size and strength. Everything pointed to Williams and Odigie having a big game. Everything pointed to driving. Some say that Terry wants to run and then pound the paint when in the halfcourt, yet he gives everybody the green light from 3. Gameplan should be to protect the ball, run 1st and then pound the paint, yet the 1st 2 shots we make are 3s so off we go.

31 more 3-pointers later and we are at our .30% clip. Meanwhile we shoot .50%+ from inside the line and .90% from the free throw line. If we were hitting a few more 3s at a consistently higher clip then fine, but we are not. Vila and Boum are both shooting <.25% from 3 and continue to drive us down to close games.

In the 1st half we made 5 3s, but lost points off turnovers, offensive rebounds and points in the paint. In the 2nd half we made 5 3s, but won points off turnovers, offensive rebounds and points in the paint. Hmmmmm?

Vila: really good game aside from outside shooting. If he can consistently play this way then fine, but either make more 3s or stop shooting. .20% from 3 is UNACCEPTABLE for the volume he shoots. Great play to block the last shot in OT (his 3rd block of the year). Trade some of those extra missed 3s for blocked shots.

Boum: inconsistent. Use your midrange game and drive to the rim more and shoot free throws. See Stefon Jackson.

Edwards: awesome game shooting and driving while trying to guard Jackson. Jackson was unguardable (reminds me of Trae Young).

Hawkins: played decently well. No turnovers in crunch time. I would like to see more assists and quicker fast breaks when the opportunity presents. Continues to play tough point defense.

Williams: Awesome all around

Archie, Odigie and Verhoeven with some good limited minutes. Not much from Lathon last night. It would have been nice if Tydus finished his dunk, but he did make a free throw. I thought in particular Archie played well, but props to Terry for not changing his lineup during the big 2nd half run.

.....I was talking to a UTSA grad this morning at work. He recalled a game last year where the Roadrunners came back from a huge deficit to win. He went to the next game thinking that it was the beginning of something big, only to watch his team lose. I hope that we are instead able to build on this, and it is not just a one off thing.

UTSAl is a two man team and what a pair Wallace and Jackson make!

UTEP, on the other hand, is not a two man team. They are team of very athletic players from all over the U.S.A (and one euro player) who need an identity, consistency and a little more gelling. They are not there, yet, however, the potential showed last night.

The rematch can be seen in the 915 on ESPN College Extra (Spectrum Cable channel 395) at 2 PM MT/ 3 PM CT.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT