ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts from this past weekend

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2001
Here are some thoughts about the team from this past weekend:

- I know that this is an odd item to place first, but I definitely don't want to forget this: I'm going to miss the hell out of Tevin Caldwell. His loss obviously won't make even the slightest ripple in the box scores next season, but his hustle, intelligence, ability to guard players much taller than himself, and knack for making the timely rebound will be sorely missed. If the NCAA does grant Moore an extra year, is there any way that we can convince them to throw one Tevin's way as well? :)

- Speaking of Moore, WOW. What a weekend, especially on Saturday. If the NCAA does grant him an extra year of eligibility, we can count on a quality starting backcourt at least through 2017-18, when he and Omega will be senior guards.

- My first view of Terry Winn was at the Orange and White scrimmage. Afterward I had this to say about him:

He was all energy around the basket, and was the only one besides Vint to show any nice post moves. He went through a spell where he had a lot of balls go in and come out, but over all he looked good.

The one concern I had was his inability at times to finish. Well, he's finishing his shots now, and looks amazing. As others have said, he doesn't appear to be a legit 6'7", yet he's still dominating down low. Now if only we could find some growth serum ...

- I refused to let myself rest easy during the second half of Saturday's game, after having seen the Miners blow big leads, and quickly, way too many times this season. That is until we took our last 20 point lead with under five minutes to go. At that point I thought that not even this Miner team would be able to scare me. Then they let them back to within 9 with over a minute left. I'm thankful that their coach was too foolish to start fouling us at the time, and that Moore made that huge three pointer at the end of the shot clock.

- Even with their struggles over a couple of minutes there at the end, this was the best 40 minutes the Miners have played all season. They went up early and responded well to all of La Tech's runs. I hope that they are able to keep this up.

- I'm sorry if I'm beating this dead horse into glue, but I've been severely disappointed in Jones and Thomas. It was obvious, even during the aforementioned scrimmage, that neither guy was ready for prime time, but I kept hoping for some improvement. Now neither of these guys is even getting time, and we've gone to a four guard lineup, and even our center is guard sized. They're freshmen, so it's too early to give up on them, but I don't have hope that these guys will magically be able to play well next season. Oh, and speaking of freshmen bigs, my son and I discussed back in December about how it was a mistake to pull Romine's redshirt so soon, that the staff should wait and see if they really needed him. Well, they haven't, and he hasn't made a difference in any game that he's played.

- Attaining the 4th seed in the CUSA Tournament will be difficult. As has already been discussed in another thread, La Tech holds the tie breaker over us, meaning we have to win out and hope they lose 2. Middle Tennessee also hold the tie breaker, so they would have to lose three. We do hold the tie breaker over Marshall, but they would also have to lose three. I'm not expecting a bye in the conference tournament.

- As sports fans, we always overreact to both wins and losses. When we lost five in a row in December, and had a stretch in January where we dropped six of seven, we were the worst freakin' team in college basketball. Now that we've won six in a row those losses are a distant memory. This six game stretch has certainly been exciting; let's hope the team's current level of play extends to March. I want to watch Selection Sunday with anticipation again. If we stumble in the conference tournament, however, expect on off-season of discontent.

I think everything you said is fair. Caldwell has been awesome and by all accounts is a great kid. As for Winn, the kid is 20 years old and if he went the traditional route then he'd be classified as a junior. Instead, he did a year of prep and then redshirted. He's now found his groove and is a legitimate force to deal with down low. Artis is now playing floor manager in the first half and driving the ball to the hole in the second half if he needs to. For me, at this point, the x factor is Morris. He's either hot or cold. If he's on then this team is very hard to beat. If not, then we're done. Omega, to me, has been the player that has been most improved. He still has trouble time to time controlling his motor, but his jump shot and game management are much improved.

It's painful to think where this team would be if they had started the season with their current lineup and offensive philosophy.

Love the improvement, but this team winning the conference tournament is a long shot.

Agree with all you on all your points Maniac. We talked in the pre-season about possibly fielding an all 6'5" and under team. While Winn may be pushing the height limit on that team, it is not by much. Joking aside, the guys we have playing now, with the four guard lineup, are the best five players on the team.

Both Omega and Artis have upped their respective games. They aren't consistent by any means, but they have improved on the offensive end. They still make bone-headed mistakes, along with their teammates, but I hope that will improve as they learn to play collectively. At home, you can get away with some dumb turnovers, but on the road, that is a different story. The team needs to still improve defensively, as the coaches continue to mention at every opportunity.

As with many of my posts, I like to look to the future. Clearly, an additional year of Lee Moore would be outstanding. He is super dynamic on the offensive end, gets to the line, and doesn't like to lose. In short, he is a player to build a team around, and it would be great to have him for one more year. Now, for next year, our back court looks pretty much set. We will miss BOTH Caldwell and Morris, but that is where the team's strength lies. I do like Touchet, but not as a point guard. He needs to work on his ball-handling and his defense. He does play smart, and can actually make some FTs, so that is a big plus.

So, for next year, as many have mentioned, we could really use that 6'8" - 6'9" shot blocker and rebounder. Since we are already one scholarship over the limit, if we do sign one more for next year, then that means two of the current players would need to leave. My guess is that those two would be Romine\Thomas and Flaggert. While I am on the fence with Flaggert, as he has performed decently this year, we have McSwiggen waiting in the wings. If he is the player the coaches and some of the posters have described, he would appear to be an improved version of Flaggert, with an extra year of eligibility. I don't generally like to see a revolving door of players; but also understand the decision can also be based on a lack of PT on the part of the players leaving. If either K. Jones or Willms can add some type of low post presence, things get even more interesting next year. I do like Bhudda Jones as well, but he really could us a red shirt year to get physically stronger; so hopefully that is in the plans if Willms can somehow make it back from major foot surgery.

I'm wouldnt write off B. Jones. He apparently came here in part because he wanted to play now, so I doubt he'd go for a redshirt at this stage. The light could turn on for him like it finally did this (senior) year for Prince Ibeh at Texas.

Hey super Miner fans, Maniac, Mambo, and Train - enjoyed reading your latest hoop threads. Very informative, provocative, and interesting, especially from Miner fans like you who are also addicted students of this wonderful game. Keep it up. Many times, I want to express my current thoughts on Miner hoops, but find it difficult since I live so far away. Not seeing the Miner team work out or watch home games to study the flow of the game or the actual participation of each Miner player, makes it very difficult for me to analyze and critique accordingly. As a result, I really enjoy your great comments! Keep them coming.

Excellent post MinerManiac. I was actually disappointed in Caldwell's play earlier this season, but then again, everyone's play was disappointing, as was the coaching. While he's not the defensive stopper J. Washburn was, or probably was expected to be, he has found his role and definitely adds something to the team when he plays. He makes the plays that need to be made. I'm not all that disappointed in Thomas or Romaine, frankly just not surprised at their lack of progress. I always go back to Antonio Davis when people express disappointment in a freshman big man. His freshman year was relative uneventful, I believe barely 4 points a game. Then made the jump to 10 points a game his sophmore year and on up. He was playing on a loaded team, and while that hindered his playing time, it helped him improve by leaps and bounds. That is what I feel is hindering Thomas and Romaine's progress, and Jones. Davis had the likes of Foster, Richmond, Sandal, Campbell to practice against and improve. Who do Thomas and Romaine have? Not Wilmms. Vint? A redshirt McSwiggin? Really, only Winn. I believe a year's worth of practice against Hunter clearly helped Winn, but still has had to adjust to actual game play, and is only now starting to show it. I agree Romaine should have been redshirted. Perhaps a little panic there in Floyd, or wishful thinking.

As nice as this team's play has improved the last 3 weeks, its hard to say what the next 3 weeks hold. Clearly their confidence has to be soaring after the comeback wins, close games and a blow out of a very decent La Tech team. Still, they show a fragility. But how fun has it been to watch this 4 and even 5 guard offense? Who'd a thunk it? Kudos to Johnson for convincing Floyd to go for it.

Unless it completely falls apart again these last 3 weeks, I think Floyd has earned next season. I know there are many who won't agree with this, as they feel he shouldn't have even earned this season. I can respect that. Heck, a month back I was expecting him and Stull to work out some kind of deal to end his tenure here. But as you and others have pointed out, he has got to get an impact big man here for next year. Wilmms should be considered gone for next year, his health is a great big if. Now if he makes a healthy comeback, great! We still need that big body type banger to get this team over the hump. My 2 shillings.

I agree with everything except don't sell Jones, Thomas, Romine short just yet. Look how Winn has progressed w/ PT. I think one of those three will emerge to be a player next year. Thomas is my bet as he seems to be a heady player and what little I saw of him this year, he looks like he knows how to play, just needs some gym work. Same for Jones (needs a pair of hands) and Romine (footwork). Touchet shows promise as well. Floyd needs to hit the JC ranks for a rebounder/muscle guy if he has any LOI left in his wallet.

Wow...what a bunch of in depth on the mark reporting by all of you guys. I said before that the La Tech game was their most defining game of the season, simply because of the fact that La Tech is a bona fide top level team in CUSA and it was no contest. Maniac, you are so right on Caldwell.
I may not be absolutely correct on this, but it seems like our guard play has
yielded the following results: (Morris,Moore,Harris and Artis)
If one or two have their typical game while the others fall short...we lose or barely win.
If two or three are making their average performance...we win.
If it's all four of them, we romp! (Has this happened?)
Wouldn't it be interesting to perform some magic and go back to find out what our record would be today if the four guard offense had been activated in November (minus Harris) or December? I'll bet we wouldn't be concerned about post season.

Excellent post MinerManiac. I was actually disappointed in Caldwell's play earlier this season, but then again, everyone's play was disappointing, as was the coaching. While he's not the defensive stopper J. Washburn was, or probably was expected to be, he has found his role and definitely adds something to the team when he plays. He makes the plays that need to be made. I'm not all that disappointed in Thomas or Romaine, frankly just not surprised at their lack of progress. I always go back to Antonio Davis when people express disappointment in a freshman big man. His freshman year was relative uneventful, I believe barely 4 points a game. Then made the jump to 10 points a game his sophmore year and on up. He was playing on a loaded team, and while that hindered his playing time, it helped him improve by leaps and bounds. That is what I feel is hindering Thomas and Romaine's progress, and Jones. Davis had the likes of Foster, Richmond, Sandal, Campbell to practice against and improve. Who do Thomas and Romaine have? Not Wilmms. Vint? A redshirt McSwiggin? Really, only Winn. I believe a year's worth of practice against Hunter clearly helped Winn, but still has had to adjust to actual game play, and is only now starting to show it. I agree Romaine should have been redshirted. Perhaps a little panic there in Floyd, or wishful thinking.

As nice as this team's play has improved the last 3 weeks, its hard to say what the next 3 weeks hold. Clearly their confidence has to be soaring after the comeback wins, close games and a blow out of a very decent La Tech team. Still, they show a fragility. But how fun has it been to watch this 4 and even 5 guard offense? Who'd a thunk it? Kudos to Johnson for convincing Floyd to go for it.

Unless it completely falls apart again these last 3 weeks, I think Floyd has earned next season. I know there are many who won't agree with this, as they feel he shouldn't have even earned this season. I can respect that. Heck, a month back I was expecting him and Stull to work out some kind of deal to end his tenure here. But as you and others have pointed out, he has got to get an impact big man here for next year. Wilmms should be considered gone for next year, his health is a great big if. Now if he makes a healthy comeback, great! We still need that big body type banger to get this team over the hump. My 2 shillings.
Tim Floyd "earned" his position by being a winning D1 college coach over a long period of years. His job is not in question except by a few "fans" who know squat about coaching basketball. He and his staff have done an admirable job in molding a group of young, inexperienced players into an exciting team despite losing three key players before the season began. Bottom line is the only ones who count when it comes to whether or not TF continues as UTEP BB coach is Bob Stull - and TF. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Tim Floyd "earned" his position by being a winning D1 college coach over a long period of years. His job is not in question except by a few "fans" who know squat about coaching basketball. He and his staff have done an admirable job in molding a group of young, inexperienced players into an exciting team despite losing three key players before the season began. Bottom line is the only ones who count when it comes to whether or not TF continues as UTEP BB coach is Bob Stull - and TF. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Mr. Stull -- is that you?

Agree with all you on all your points Maniac. We talked in the pre-season about possibly fielding an all 6'5" and under team. While Winn may be pushing the height limit on that team, it is not by much. Joking aside, the guys we have playing now, with the four guard lineup, are the best five players on the team.

Both Omega and Artis have upped their respective games. They aren't consistent by any means, but they have improved on the offensive end. They still make bone-headed mistakes, along with their teammates, but I hope that will improve as they learn to play collectively. At home, you can get away with some dumb turnovers, but on the road, that is a different story. The team needs to still improve defensively, as the coaches continue to mention at every opportunity.

As with many of my posts, I like to look to the future. Clearly, an additional year of Lee Moore would be outstanding. He is super dynamic on the offensive end, gets to the line, and doesn't like to lose. In short, he is a player to build a team around, and it would be great to have him for one more year. Now, for next year, our back court looks pretty much set. We will miss BOTH Caldwell and Morris, but that is where the team's strength lies. I do like Touchet, but not as a point guard. He needs to work on his ball-handling and his defense. He does play smart, and can actually make some FTs, so that is a big plus.

So, for next year, as many have mentioned, we could really use that 6'8" - 6'9" shot blocker and rebounder. Since we are already one scholarship over the limit, if we do sign one more for next year, then that means two of the current players would need to leave. My guess is that those two would be Romine\Thomas and Flaggert. While I am on the fence with Flaggert, as he has performed decently this year, we have McSwiggen waiting in the wings. If he is the player the coaches and some of the posters have described, he would appear to be an improved version of Flaggert, with an extra year of eligibility. I don't generally like to see a revolving door of players; but also understand the decision can also be based on a lack of PT on the part of the players leaving. If either K. Jones or Willms can add some type of low post presence, things get even more interesting next year. I do like Bhudda Jones as well, but he really could us a red shirt year to get physically stronger; so hopefully that is in the plans if Willms can somehow make it back from major foot surgery.

Flaggert is here to stay, the coaches love him. Johnson gushed over him on the post game Sat. This young man works hard and shows that he is extremely coachable. I'd be severely disappointed if they push him out, he deserves to be a Miner.

You always need a good "glue guy" to make a team and Flaggert fits that role.
You all forget we still have a 7ft Kelvin Jones waiting in the wings as well. In pickup games, before the season started, he was the best big man we had over Vint and the freshman, while Willms was waiting for clearance.. He had good footwork since he too was a guy that grew like 8-10 inches in a couple of years. He just lacked strength and now has a full year to work on it. He cannot practice with the team but I am sure he is lifting weights.

I agree, great points by all of you who posted.
You all forget we still have a 7ft Kelvin Jones waiting in the wings as well. In pickup games, before the season started, he was the best big man we had over Vint and the freshman, while Willms was waiting for clearance.. He had good footwork since he too was a guy that grew like 8-10 inches in a couple of years. He just lacked strength and now has a full year to work on it. He cannot practice with the team but I am sure he is lifting weights.

Haven't forgotten about KJ. Its probably not wise to count him in as a sure thing to take the court next year, just yet. I really hope he works out, tho.

Flaggert is here to stay, the coaches love him. Johnson gushed over him on the post game Sat. This young man works hard and shows that he is extremely coachable. I'd be severely disappointed if they push him out, he deserves to be a Miner.

Yeah, Flaggert's not going anywhere. The loyalty goes both ways between the coaching staff and Flags. He's another guy that brings some of the intangibles to the court. Probably never gonna start a game but can fill in with some fairly solid minutes. His defense is overlooked, imo. As long as he's guarding a small forward, or your garden variety 2 guard, he more than holds his own. Offensively, when he is settled, he can nail the 3 at a decent clip. I think he started off the first 6 games shooting 47 or 48% from beyond. He takes his share of criticism, but he's the kind of role player I'd want on my team. He'll only get better with two more years to play.

Reactions: allminer
I also like Flaggert for the reasons stated. He is an excellent team player, who accepts his role willingly. Projecting that he does indeed remain on the team (probably a good assumption); then I would think that the decision to add another player(s) may be tied closely on how Willms' injury progresses. It may very will end up that the staff may stand pat with the team as is. To me it doesn't make much sense to bring in anything other than a plug and play big man. Assuming both freshmen qualify, K. Jones gains his eligibility, and Willms does recover; then we are still one ride over currently. It will be interesting to see what direction the staff goes.

Reactions: Lucaminer
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT