ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game

axingfools1

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 6, 2011
Our offense was just too slow tonight, again. We were trying to force the ball inside and there was no movement around the perimiter. Other than Frazier, nobody can shoot 3's right now, so he starts on the bench? Gilyard was driving well to end the first half, so he sits the 1st ten minutes of the second half? Osborne doesn't play at all? Our coach gets ejected, again, and gives the other team free throws and steals momentum from his own team?
Coaches decisions.

This was Omega's worst game of the year by far. He goes 0-5 from 3 including some good corner looks. He misses 2 critical free throws in the last minutes. He got dunked on bad and also fouled out. Touchet should have taken some of his minutes tonight.

We rebounded much better. Wade is a force on the boards and at the rim on defense. Willms played decent and PT got some tough boards too. I would like to see Smith paired with Wade and Willms with Thomas.

Our 1-3-1 got blown up by #3 Smart tonight. I'm not sure why we kept using it the last 5 minutes. North Texas players were open everytime down the court.
I'm not a fan of North Texas, by why didn't we recruit #3 Smart?

And after all that we lose by 1 point. I'm sick and tired of losing to teams we should beat and watching our players regress, be tentative or get benched.

Our offense was just too slow tonight, again. We were trying to force the ball inside and there was no movement around the perimiter. Other than Frazier, nobody can shoot 3's right now, so he starts on the bench? Gilyard was driving well to end the first half, so he sits the 1st ten minutes of the second half? Osborne doesn't play at all? Our coach gets ejected, again, and gives the other team free throws and steals momentum from his own team?
Coaches decisions.

This was Omega's worst game of the year by far. He goes 0-5 from 3 including some good corner looks. He misses 2 critical free throws in the last minutes. He got dunked on bad and also fouled out. Touchet should have taken some of his minutes tonight.

We rebounded much better. Wade is a force on the boards and at the rim on defense. Willms played decent and PT got some tough boards too. I would like to see Smith paired with Wade and Willms with Thomas.

Our 1-3-1 got blown up by #3 Smart tonight. I'm not sure why we kept using it the last 5 minutes. North Texas players were open everytime down the court.
I'm not a fan of North Texas, by why didn't we recruit #3 Smart?

And after all that we lose by 1 point. I'm sick and tired of losing to teams we should beat and watching our players regress, be tentative or get benched.
Well said!

UTEP is a really bad basketball team, and poorly coached, North Texas is a bad basketball team, but has a better coach.

UTEP will not win a game in the C-USA Tournament, the season is over guys, Period. The End. :( #ThanksTimFloyd

Reactions: picks up
Some people seem to blaming the refs for this loss and yes they were bad but there's no question that this loss is 100% on the coaching staff. CUSA refs are terrible and have been for a while but its also something that everyone in this league is dealing with.

Johnson's ejection led to 5 points (3 from the technical followed by 2 point shot) and we lose by 1. Getting tossed 2 times isn't a good look for an interim coach that's auditioning for a full-time gig.

Gilyard had so much momentum to end the half, I really do not understand how he gets benched for the next 11 minutes. Why not ride his hot hand?

Frazier is our best scoring option and he starts off on the bench, makes sense

Did the media not notice that Osborne didn't play? How was this question not asked in the post-game press conference?

I'm okay with Omega getting that many shots. He's a senior and has proven he can score but I do agree that he has to be better than what he was last night.

I'm also okay with Wade's minutes as he did look out-of-shape and gassed at times but I do hope he gets more as he gets back into the flow of the season

Another thing that Johnson does (and Floyd did) a little too much is play Flaggert and Touchet together. When this happens, the opposing teams always seems to go on a run and we have a 3 vs 5 situation offensively.

I know North Texas is an improving team but it sucks that we have fallen this far. Losing to historically bad programs that don't care about basketball has become too common recently. I'm glad this era of UTEP basketball is almost over, at least I hope it's almost over

Some people seem to blaming the refs for this loss and yes they were bad but there's no question that this loss is 100% on the coaching staff. CUSA refs are terrible and have been for a while but its also something that everyone in this league is dealing with.

Johnson's ejection led to 5 points (3 from the technical followed by 2 point shot) and we lose by 1. Getting tossed 2 times isn't a good look for an interim coach that's auditioning for a full-time gig.

Gilyard had so much momentum to end the half, I really do not understand how he gets benched for the next 11 minutes. Why not ride his hot hand?

Frazier is our best scoring option and he starts off on the bench, makes sense

Did the media not notice that Osborne didn't play? How was this question not asked in the post-game press conference?

I'm okay with Omega getting that many shots. He's a senior and has proven he can score but I do agree that he has to be better than what he was last night.

I'm also okay with Wade's minutes as he did look out-of-shape and gassed at times but I do hope he gets more as he gets back into the flow of the season

Another thing that Johnson does (and Floyd did) a little too much is play Flaggert and Touchet together. When this happens, the opposing teams always seems to go on a run and we have a 3 vs 5 situation offensively.

I know North Texas is an improving team but it sucks that we have fallen this far. Losing to historically bad programs that don't care about basketball has become too common recently. I'm glad this era of UTEP basketball is almost over, at least I hope it's almost over
I agree on all accounts except for Touchet. I think he was underutilized by CTF and was not in the proper position at PG. Now that he a back up SG he is helping the team more. I thought he used his minutes well last night.

Braswell said it was a coaches decision to sit Frazier and play Touchet. "We wanted to get Trey some more looks". That may be true, but its likely that Frazier did something that upset the coaches. Anyway, Frazier needs to be in the game 30+ minutes. Maybe Touchet could have spelled Omega more last night since Osborne was benched.

Reactions: picks up
North Texas hadn't beat UTEP since 1952. UTEP had won 9 straight (per UNT).

Also, UTEP is now 29-3 vs Texas teams at the DHC in CUSA play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT