ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Floyd: "If you blame it on me, you don't get it"

Absolutely 100% spot on. And THAT'S the reason you will not easily "repeal and replace" Bob Stull with the current president in place. No potential AD candidate will torpedo his/her career by volunteering for the Bataan Death March, otherwise known as UTEP athletics. Even if Stull retires, voluntarily or otherwise, what promising candidate or established AD will accept the challenge of transforming an entire culture and administration that has been complacent for the past decade (or longer), leading to the current crap hole? That's the reason your FB coach can win four games in his fourth season and your BB coach can put perhaps the worst product in the NCAA on the court after 7 seasons and both feel they will be around the following season.

For all the good that Dr. Natalicio has accomplished at UTEP, part of her legacy will be that she presided over an athletic department that deteriorated, in every sense of the word, to the absolute depths of intercollegiate sports. You can blame Tim Floyd and Sean Kugler, and you should and you would be right. You can blame Bob Stull, and you most certainly should. But at the beginning, middle, and end of the day, this sack of dog shit rests squarely on Dr. Natalicio's doorstep.

I've done a 180 as far as Kugler goes. The program wasn't a dumpster fire, it was a devastation that would leave El Pasoans dumbfounded it was that bad. Coach Blake was a former OU coach some years back who was brought in to clean up and reorganize the program that was a mess and a fb program culture that needed bleached from the coaches prior to his arrival. Kugler had to do that same thing. I don't like his offensive philosophy since the game has changed so much in twenty years but I don't envy the guy who basically has to hit the reset button back to zero and at a low level FBS program. After hearing the first hand stories from some UTEP personnel weeks ago, my attitude changed towards him. When you build a house you don't buy the chandelier first. He had to redo the concrete foundation and framing, in some cases literally. After that, then UTEP can attract that high flying spread offense coach. But you are expected to win and he has underachieved in that regard but I can stomach him another year.

I've done a 180 as far as Kugler goes. The program wasn't a dumpster fire, it was a devastation that would leave El Pasoans dumbfounded it was that bad. Coach Blake was a former OU coach some years back who was brought in to clean up and reorganize the program that was a mess and a fb program culture that needed bleached from the coaches prior to his arrival. Kugler had to do that same thing. I don't like his offensive philosophy since the game has changed so much in twenty years but I don't envy the guy who basically has to hit the reset button back to zero and at a low level FBS program. After hearing the first hand stories from some UTEP personnel weeks ago, my attitude changed towards him. When you build a house you don't buy the chandelier first. He is redoing the concrete foundation and framing. After that, then UTEP can attract that high flying spread offense coach. But you are expected to win and he has underachieved in that regard but I can stomach him another year.

Comparing him to Blake -- ouch.

Never heard why Floyd did the post game instead of Johnson. He never does the post game. Anyone know?

I've done a 180 as far as Kugler goes. The program wasn't a dumpster fire, it was a devastation that would leave El Pasoans dumbfounded it was that bad. Coach Blake was a former OU coach some years back who was brought in to clean up and reorganize the program that was a mess and a fb program culture that needed bleached from the coaches prior to his arrival. Kugler had to do that same thing. I don't like his offensive philosophy since the game has changed so much in twenty years but I don't envy the guy who basically has to hit the reset button back to zero and at a low level FBS program. After hearing the first hand stories from some UTEP personnel weeks ago, my attitude changed towards him. When you build a house you don't buy the chandelier first. He had to redo the concrete foundation and framing, in some cases literally. After that, then UTEP can attract that high flying spread offense coach. But you are expected to win and he has underachieved in that regard but I can stomach him another year.

Kugler's had more chances than my first ex wife. Some people don't have to actually see the plane hit the ground to know it's going to crash. Then again, others do...

And BTW, for four seasons you average four wins per year and you're still telling everybody about how things sucked before you brought your circus to town? Man, that's about low rent...

Never heard why Floyd did the post game instead of Johnson. He never does the post game. Anyone know?
I figured there wasn't enough media there for Floyd to do a normal presser, so instead he did the post game with Teich. His quotes in UTEP Athletics writeup are the same as the interview with Teich. Just a hunch.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
I figured there wasn't enough media there for Floyd to do a normal presser, so instead he did the post game with Teich. His quotes in UTEP Athletics writeup are the same as the interview with Teich. Just a hunch.
I've been so disgusted at games end this year that there's only been two or three times that I've tuned in to the post game.

Reactions: El Paso Sports Fan
One of the benefits of Floyd's transfer epidemic is diversification of one's UTEP fandom.

For instance, I'm watching TCU-Texas, and it's nice seeing Chris Washburn make a play.

Game just ended. Washburn must be a senior and he hardly plays. Dixon has quickly recruited some nice new starters for TCU. They just beat Texas in Austin.

I keep hearing about all this academic issues under Price. I don't know about the other classes but I can tell you this. Devin class of 2010 graduated 10 players on time, meaning 4 years. One player actually graduated early. My son went to KU and was the only one of 25 to graduate on time. Now if UTEP was in trouble academically before then KU was on the verge of destruction.

I keep hearing about all this academic issues under Price. I don't know about the other classes but I can tell you this. Devin class of 2010 graduated 10 players on time, meaning 4 years. One player actually graduated early. My son went to KU and was the only one of 25 to graduate on time. Now if UTEP was in trouble academically before then KU was on the verge of destruction.

The source of this was that UTEP's APR issues under Price deteriorated down to the point to where UTEP was penalized and lost 4 football scholarships during Price's final season as Coach here:

http://www.elpasoinc.com/lifestyle/...d70-9836-11e0-8194-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Kugler inherited one of the worst APR Program's in the country when he arrived here. Now UTEP is routinely producing elite APR scores and ranking amongst the best in the nation. The results have been suspect on the field, but Kugler has made a dramatic turnaround here off the field:

http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sp...tay-positive-earn-perfect-score-apr/73868992/

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT