ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Floyd is suspended

Well at least its against USM. Lets do this Coach Johnson!!!
party0030.r191677.gif

Where was this announced? Haven't found anything, not that I don't believe you. It's the right call. I think some may be calling for his resignation, but I think there was less to this than meets the eye. You can bet coach Floyd has apologized to Morris and the team and I'm sure feels terrible about it. I'm sure we'll see a statement somewhere from Floyd, but in my eyes, this is between him and his team.

Originally posted by allminer:
Where was this announced? Haven't found anything, not that I don't believe you. It's the right call. I think some may be calling for his resignation, but I think there was less to this than meets the eye. You can bet coach Floyd has apologized to Morris and the team and I'm sure feels terrible about it. I'm sure we'll see a statement somewhere from Floyd, but in my eyes, this is between him and his team.
Its all over the local news. I don't make things up for attention

KVIA

Not at all picks up, like I stated...I believed you, guess I just didn't look in the right places. Anyway, coach Floyd is not the only coach making headlines over his own players. Wasn't a good Thursday for coaches.

This post was edited on 2/27 1:31 PM by allminer

Vandy's Coach Stallings...

Interesting...had nothing to do with his actions against Morris but more about his inaction - leaving the court in a timely manner.
Wonder if Stull/Natalicio look the other way.

Let's see how the seniors respond to this, I would certainly hope they had a team meeting to try and regroup. The tournament starts now for them.

The suspension is well deserved. It's funny, fans can be so clueless sometimes. In the thread just below this one, look at all the Miner fans saying he wouldn't or shouldn't be suspended, because he was really mad at the ref not Morris, blah, blah, blah. As if there could ever be ANY legitimate reason for a figure of authority at an institute of higher education to assault a student.

I like and support Coach Floyd, but he got what he deserved here and he's really lucky the punishment isn't more severe.

This post was edited on 2/27 4:38 PM by JudenSmithFan

One other thing, I also think the way this was handled by Jon Teicher, Jeff Darby, and Bob Stull is very disappointing and reflects poorly on all of them. Both Teicher's postgame show and interview, and the game recap on UTEP Athletics, literally pretended the whole incident (even the ejection) never happened. And Stull should have come out strong and suspended Floyd himself, not leaving it for the conference office to clean up his mess. When one of your employees messes up, the best course of action is to swiftly acknowledge and apologize for the mistake. Vanderbilt did a great job of that last night and UTEP did a really poor one.

All that being said it was still a horrible call. I can certainly see why he was suspended. I really was grateful that I was not there last night because I would have reacted similarly. I have cooled down now. I totally agree that the officials did not change the outcome of the game. I guess he was really frustrated. We also don't know what that terrible ref said to him that might have pissed him off more. As for the "assault" on Morris give me a break. I am sure they are both fine today.

Assault is a felony (often described as assault & battery). It is defnined as "a physical attack". I've rewatched the incident numerous times, and to describe Floyd's shove of Morris as "assault" is an exaggeration. The player wasn't attacked. Was it unwarranted and did it leave a bad perception? Yes. He should have tempered his actions better. Earvin Morris, however, is no worse for wear as a result. The one game suspension is apropos and well earned.

Perhaps, had his players shown the same fire they wouldn't have been run over by 17.

Really...

Assault, LOL, Really? I'm sorry I must have missed the karate chop coach gave to Earvin's neck when he failed to back off. Look, the announcers thought nothing of it, UTEP thought nothing of it (hence no action), fans calling in to Sportstalk thought nothing of it and all but 2 fans on this board thought nothing of it. It's time to move on, I'm sure they have already. Oh yeah, the suspension was for the technicals he received not the "assault."

Bring back the Amen chant!

Morris screwed up. You don't touch the coach. Period. That's the assistants job to be Johnny on the spot, but they were not. If this is a persistent problem, take it up with administration.

What Floyd should be held accountable for is not having this team ready. He damn well knew they were going to come out with both guns. This was a fight for first place for Pete's sake!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT