ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Floyd's Worst Enemy

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
If TF thought he had it bad this proposed new rule would give him a new "17 page novel" full of excuses. If approved this could turn very bad for mid majors. We would become the farm system for the P5's. Not only do the P5's currently enjoy the best 4 and 5 star recruits now they would be able to come and snatch away any overlooked recruits that develop into playmakers. The separation continues if this passes.

Psssst. Let you in on a dirty little secret. Some basketball coaches cheat. They really, really do. They don't put their finger prints on the evidence. They have other schmucks to do it.

So instead of recruiting high school to move up to college top down or down to top approach, this could start lateral recruiting from D1 to a possible better D1 or vice versa to get more playing time that the player didn't get at lets say, Kentucky? This is monumental in its the scope of college basketball athletics and it is 100% money driven. This is a "WOW!" kind of proposed legal action that has major consequences. I seriously wonder if some state politicians will get in in the hub bub as it makes it way amongst committees and movers and shakers.

Let's say if I was Wisconsin congressional Rep. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan from Wisconsin. This has an impact on Marquette and Wisconsin; two of your state powerhouses in P5 college basketball and have a more realistic shot at winning a conference championship every year or even a national championship as compared to Wisconsin football. Basketball for both programs bring exposure and tons of dinero and now the NCAA wants to allow a 4 star stud to now say "F'it! I'm going to Cincy!". Then two years down the road it happens again when one says "I'm going to MTSU". I doubt he would stay quiet on this one. Same goes for Texas and we all know Texas and Baylor don't stay mum on topics like this. They will be heard.

The reason I say this is because these kind of players have financial affect on ticket value. I.e., the famous Hamilton to UTEP then to UCLA fiasco. At least Floyd was right in saying his 180 decision will hurt ticket sales (at that time).

I'm more concerned about the impact it will have on UTEP. With this rule in place how can any G5 team maintain continued success? Will there be a limit to the amount of players that can transfer out of a program? What if down the road you have a good few years and some big name P5 team comes calling for the HC would he be allowed to take the entire team with him?

While I do see the potential for some of the bigger programs losing players due to lack of playing time I don't think it's a fair trade. We could potentially lose an all conference player to university X and gain a bench rider from university Y.

Just thinking about the effects on all mid major football programs gives me headaches.

I'm more concerned about the impact it will have on UTEP. With this rule in place how can any G5 team maintain continued success? Will there be a limit to the amount of players that can transfer out of a program? What if down the road you have a good few years and some big name P5 team comes calling for the HC would he be allowed to take the entire team with him?

While I do see the potential for some of the bigger programs losing players due to lack of playing time I don't think it's a fair trade. We could potentially lose an all conference player to university X and gain a bench rider from university Y.

Just thinking about the effects on all mid major football programs gives me headaches.

The rich get richer.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT