ADVERTISEMENT

Time to get rid of football

Nov 4, 2016
The University should seriously consider getting rid of the football program, then UTEP can use the savings on hiring a real basketball coach and not some haskins holdover who hasn't done anything but berate reporters and give press conferences on how this "year's" team is gonna suck - the saving could also be used to remodel the outdated SunBowl and after 5-10 years they could re-look at bringing back the football program. People are gonna go insane but anything is better than the status quo because it's an embarrassment.

So how do you propose we deal with the backlash when Title IX forces the university to also drop volleyball, soccer and softball?? Kiss revenue from conference affiliation goodbye. El Paso loses its bowl game and the school gets stuck with multiple unused facilities. Great idea...

So how do you propose we deal with the backlash when Title IX forces the university to also drop volleyball, soccer and softball?? Kiss revenue from conference affiliation goodbye. El Paso loses its bowl game and the school gets stuck with multiple unused facilities. Great idea...

The Sun Bowl has nothing to do with utep football - it will go on considering it has a contract with CBS. And I doubt you really understand how Title IX works. UTSA has more sports than utep to include baseball - explain that.

A university must have equal scholarships for men and women. There are no women on the football team. This opens opportunity for women's athletics such as soccer, volleyball and softball

Reactions: UTEP05
A university must have equal scholarships for men and women. There are no women on the football team. This opens opportunity for women's athletics such as soccer, volleyball and softball
I dont dispute the scholarship equality, what I'm concerned with is the quality of those recipients of those scholarships for - esp for men's sports. If you worried about the funds received from conference usa - first leave that conference, and please explain how UTSA has men's basketball, football, and baseball? I really believe its time to look getting rid of a program that just does not deliver and hasn't for a very long time.

Winning consistently has always been a problem. Getting rid of the football team would be a death sentence for the athletic program. I believe Coach Kugler is in over his head and his lack of head coaching experience is showing up on the field. This team has the talent but lacks leadership. If they lose tonight Coach Kugler should step down and go back to being a great professional assistant coach. There have been many coaches who can't make the transition from an assistant in the Pros to being a college Head coach. There is a lot more to being a Head Coach in college (recruiting, grades, assistant coaches to hire and fire, fund raising, boosters etc.;) than being an assistant in the Pros. I think Coach Kugler is a good man with a good heart but it not working. Hearing the Coach taking the blame week after week is getting old. We should be more than just competitive at this point and there are some weeks we look completely lost on both sides of the ball. The other issue is that our coaches fail to make adjustment during the game. Trying to force things when they are not working is very frustrating to watch as a fan. Right now we hope for the best but expect nothing.

I dont dispute the scholarship equality, what I'm concerned with is the quality of those recipients of those scholarships for - esp for men's sports. If you worried about the funds received from conference usa - first leave that conference, and please explain how UTSA has men's basketball, football, and baseball? I really believe its time to look getting rid of a program that just does not deliver and hasn't for a very long time.

Let's try this again. All universities must has an equal number of SCHOLARSHIPS for men and women. Because there are ZERO women on the football team the university makes up those scholarships in athletics that are not played by men. This is why we have women's soccer, softball and volleyball. These athletes are on scholarship. By eliminating the football program these sports would also be eliminated to keep the number equal. Not every university has the same number of athletes in each individual sport on scholarship. This is why the number of scholarships must be watched rather than the number of sports teams at the university.

Last edited:
We don't have to get rid of football we just have to hire an athletic director who is positive smart ambitious and a hard worker. The reason we are in the position we are in is because we have an ex football coach that is none of the above and has as his main objective to collect a check and make it through his contract. His negativity has rubbed off on the football and basketball program.

The University should seriously consider getting rid of the football program, then UTEP can use the savings on hiring a real basketball coach and not some haskins holdover who hasn't done anything but berate reporters and give press conferences on how this "year's" team is gonna suck - the saving could also be used to remodel the outdated SunBowl and after 5-10 years they could re-look at bringing back the football program. People are gonna go insane but anything is better than the status quo because it's an embarrassment.
Lighten up. The sky is not falling.

Reactions: Cube Jack

Is this the same Ben who is an engineer?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT