ADVERTISEMENT

Time to make some more changes

Softball does need a shot of energy. Volleyball needs a recruiting guru who can leave a foundation when they get hired out.

Reactions: minermx07
Softball is a train wreck. They had talent and benched them their senior season.
El Paso has one of the biggest softball stars in the friggin state and she is headed to Grand Canyon.

I was never impressed with the Canadian pipe line coach Cross used. I agree, I think the soccer program has gotten stale and it’s time for a change. The volleyball program has always been horrid.

z5ce2Lg.jpg

Reactions: jamasterj
I agree the volleyball and softball coaches are not getting the job done. Need to be shown the door. On the fence with Cross.

Thought Cross had been having some success but lost most of his talent recently to graduation. I don’t follow the soccer team that closely and didn’t realize it gotten bad enough to fire him?

This year they had a very young team and just an average win -loss record. I think he has a good team for the next few years seems to go in cycles.

Murphy arrived at NAU after seven years at UTEP, where he was named the 2012 Conference USA Coach of the Year in his final season. He was the second-most tenured head coach in school history, as he completed his stint with the Miners with an overall record of 82-135, including four Conference USA Tournament appearances. Murphy improved the Miner program over his last two seasons, as he led UTEP to a 35-26 record with five players earning All-Conference USA honors. In 2012, Murphy had two student-athletes earn American Volleyball Coaches Association (AVCA) Honorable Mention All-America honors. It was the second and third time in school history for the program.
His third season in 2015 was historic on numerous levels, as the Lumberjacks returned to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1999, marking the program's second appearance ever. Murphy's Lumberjacks were the undisputed 2015 Big Sky Champions, winning both the outright regular season title – for the first time in school history – in addition to the tournament title. NAU compiled a 28-5 overall record, setting a new school record for victories in a season. The 'Jacks also set a new school record with 17 consecutive victories entering the NCAA Tournament along with new school records for consecutive home wins in a single season (14), overall consecutive home victories (17) dating back to 2014 and taking a record-tying six-match road win streak into 2016

In addition to winning both the regular season and tournament Big Sky championships, Murphy and the Lumberjacks finished the season at No. 33 in the NCAA RPI rankings, their highest finish ever. They were the highest ranked team in the RPI among the four schools in the state, including Arizona State and Arizona of the Pac -12. Among the notable non-conference victories in 2015 were wins over regional ranked opponents Loyola Marymount – who reached the NCAA Sweet 16 – and Boise State, as well as NAU's first win over an ACC opponent (Virginia Tech) since 2001.
https://nauathletics.com/coaches.aspx?rc=287&path=wvball

We haven't talked about but what Kevin Baker has done is remarkable. He had a better recruiting class than probably any coach at UTEP has ever had. If Terry or Dimel got the type of class Baker did we would be justifiably over the moon. He inherited a terrible roster made them a very good team. He was the leading candidate for the Tech job before he took his name out of the mix. The womens team will go the NCAA tournament this year and make some noise.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Wasn't someone on here insinuating that Baker was doing shady stuff? Whatever happened to that?

Welp the women soccer team didn't qualify for the CUSA and the volleyball team just blew a two set lead against Rice to fall to 4-20 on the season.

Volleyball and softball need immediate changes. These coaches have been there some time and have not produced. There are some great assistants coaches waiting for their opportunity to be head coaches.

Anyone know how many years the volleyball and softball coaches have left on their contracts? I would not be surprised if Bob signed them to 10 years contracts because he loved mediocracy.

Anyone know how many years the volleyball and softball coaches have left on their contracts? I would not be surprised if Bob signed them to 10 years contracts because he loved mediocracy.

I'm sure they signed 5 year contracts thats pretty standard.

Bob was very lazy in that area and failed to hold coaches accountable. Things only got worse towards the end of his career. The guy was retired in place and was not proactive in looking for up and coming coaches. I think coach Cross has done a good job over the years and is going through a tough stretch. I think he will turn things around.

I saw someone on twitter post that UTEP should consider dropping football and bringing baseball back.

Is he crazy or stupid?

I’m not sure how long it would take for C-USA to kick us out if we dropped football or went D1-AA/FCS. Very quickly is my guess.

I saw someone on twitter post that UTEP should consider dropping football and bringing baseball back.

Is he crazy or stupid?

I’m not sure how long it would take for C-USA to kick us out if we dropped football or went D1-AA/FCS. Very quickly is my guess.

Yes playing full time in the WAC or as non football school in The Southland would be awesome. There are some F****** geniuses out there.

People on Facebook and Twitter say that often. None stop to think how many programs that would destroy or the fact that we have no campus baseball stadium. The attendance of a bit over 10,000 for a football team that had lost 20 in a row is more then Southwest University Park can even hold

Reactions: picks up
Its a stupid discussion. Just being part of a crappy conference like C USA gives us good chunks of money. (In football) Baseball wouldnt bring crap. No one would sponsor it. No one will go.

Non discussion because it will NEVER happen.

Senter fired the Volleyball Coach at the Citadel on Novemeber 20th and UTEP publicly announced that he would become our next AD on November 22nd......just 2 days later. Senter was willing to do the dirty work and fire an underperforming coach even though he knew he was leaving. He didn’t just leave it for the next AD to take care of, which he very easily could have. I have a feeling that Senter will be a lot more aggressive about making needed coaching changes than our previous AD was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT