ADVERTISEMENT

Times article about Ruidoso football camp

Is there any way we can use this as a recruiting tool? It sounds like a real positive for the team.

I dont think it will help in the big picture. Most g5 schools are making cuts to pay coa. Meanwhile we are paying coa and spending half a million on football camp. For a g5 school we're pretty flush with cash. Not to mention the new apparel deal with nike. Apparently we reupped with nike and now are not only getting free gear but also paid to wear nike. High school recruits at UTEP camps and on visits have been raving about all the new nike dri fits and cleats the guys have. We should also have a much better selection of utep nike apparel to buy starting this fall.

The money is nominal is not an earth shattering amount. The biggest impact is the expanded line of apparel they now have access to. Nike has several tiers of sponsorships for college teams. UTEP along with most g5 schools was in the lowest tier. This meant you got one style of cleats, jerseys, workout gear etc. Now they have access and are recieving a bigger variety of apparel. They also have imput into the color schemes and design of apparel.

The money is nominal is not an earth shattering amount. The biggest impact is the expanded line of apparel they now have access to. Nike has several tiers of sponsorships for college teams. UTEP along with most g5 schools was in the lowest tier. This meant you got one style of cleats, jerseys, workout gear etc. Now they have access and are recieving a bigger variety of apparel. They also have imput into the color schemes and design of apparel.

That sounds like potential alternate unis and a more appealing variety of gear to choose from that's coming. I'm guessing Nike, after loosing the Miami contract (and a few others) decided to revisit their business model. That's good for Nike and good for UTEP considering it's a program on the rise.

Last thought. I don't see Kugler signing off on any wild looking alternate unis - if he does any. Probably keep it simple and conservative.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT