ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Fontenette

MinerManiac

MI Hall of Famer
Jun 28, 2001
We've mentioned former Miner recruit TJ Fontenette occasionally through the years. He was one of Rab's recruits. I remember at the time thinking about what a double gamble Rab was taking by recruiting him. Coming out of Hitchcock, TX the word on Fontenette was that he had phenomenal athleticism but was lacking in skills. It's certainly not rare for coaches to gamble by taking a great athlete, hoping that they can coach up his skills. He was also a major academic question mark. This is another gamble that coaches are sometimes willing to take. But with both issues Rab was gambling twice, which didn't pay off. Fontenette spent the 2000-01 season watching from the sidelines, the next season he was gone. He spent his career on streetball tours And1 Mixtape and Ball4Real.

Had he become eligible, I don't know what kind of all around player that he would have become, but we would still be discussing his highlights today. The video below is a list of top 10 all time non-NBA dunkers, with Fontenette coming in at number 5, about the 4:20 mark. "What might have been" would have been fun.

Video reminds me of a guy who played city Y summer league ball in late 80's for this one team who was doing great dunks during warm up's.

Didn't have much of a game; he was in high school cross country.;)

I have a good idea for a new dunk. It is possible and I think guys could do it. I tried explaining it to Randy Culpepper one time but I think he is to short for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT