ADVERTISEMENT

TJ Goodwin enters transfer portal.

better start recruiting a capable backup.....if Hardison goes down this offense goes from bad to horrendous
Brownholtz looked decent in his 2nd half appearance at Texas and he did manage the drive that resulted in Awatts TD vs ULM. I think he can become a good qb. But don't we have a qb recruit lined up for the next class as well?

Reactions: axingfools1
Brownholtz looked decent in his 2nd half appearance at Texas and he did manage the drive that resulted in Awatts TD vs ULM. I think he can become a good qb. But don't we have a qb recruit lined up for the next class as well?
Bye Goodwin. I've seen all I need to see.

Brownholtz will not be the starter or backup of the future. It could be Longino or somebody else.

Dimel needs to use this season to gain another step in recruiting too. We only have the one committed so far. He has offered a bunch of higher rated duel threat QBs though.

Last edited:
Sucks to see him go, but it's understandable. UTEP really should be trying to bring in a Freshman QB every year. One year bring in a kid that you know can play and the next bring in a kid that if developed has a shot. This will keep the room stocked in the event of a transfer. Right now they only have one kid that is viable.

IMO the kid took the summer off to play pick up 2 hand touch football against his sister instead of beefing up and learning the playbook. Hardison was already the favorite since he received playing time last season. By the time TJ returned he was too far behind to catch up. He did what any other entitled kid does. Throw a tantrum and leave the program to show them what they’re missing out on. He couldn’t beat out a kid with zero FBS/FCS offers. It doesn’t get much easier than that for a starting role at an FBS school. Good luck to him anyway.

IMO the kid took the summer off to play pick up 2 hand touch football against his sister instead of beefing up and learning the playbook. Hardison was already the favorite since he received playing time last season. By the time TJ returned he was too far behind to catch up. He did what any other entitled kid does.

Lmao! One video of the kid spending time with his family and he's entitled. OkAy...

I dont care one way or another, and yes, Dimel said they wanted him to get bigger... but there's no proof that he didn't put in the effort.

None of us know what was said between him and coaches or why decisions were made.

Reactions: kickballpro
Lmao! One video of the kid spending time with his family and he's entitled. OkAy...

I dont care one way or another, and yes, Dimel said they wanted him to get bigger... but there's no proof that he didn't put in the effort.

None of us know what was said between him and coaches or why decisions were made.
He’s entitled for not sticking around and fighting for a starting job. Guaranteed he would still be here if he had been named the starter.

He’s entitled for not sticking around and fighting for a starting job. Guaranteed he would still be here if he had been named the starter.
Remember when his brother and other 3 star recruits from the same hs team were all committed to UTEP and then all of a sudden all decommitted? That seemed odd to me at the time but now I wonder if there was a problem brewing between coaches and Goodwin that upset the apple cart. I remember too that when TJ committed he said coaches told him he was the future for this team and later it looked like that was not the case.

Unless he said somewhere that he was supposed to be given the job, not sure how you can make that claim about his character. Players transfer for all kinds of reasons, doesn't automatically make them entitled.

It's probably a blessing in disguise, simply because two-QB systems rarely work, and yet Dimel seems to love the idea and will implement such a system if he can. This situation removed that option and has allowed Hardison to develop as the clear starter.

Pretty clear he got beat out of the position by Hardison and didn't want to be 2nd string. No big deal happens at every school. Sometimes players develop sometimes they don't, sometimes they just don't fit. Never saw him play or practice and so I don't know anything about his abilities. I hope he finds a place to play and fulfills his dreams.

Unless he said somewhere that he was supposed to be given the job, not sure how you can make that claim about his character. Players transfer for all kinds of reasons, doesn't automatically make them entitled.

So basically its I couldn't cut it at UTEP so my family and friends are gonna back out of their commitments, I'm gonna pretend to opt out because of COVID once I know I'm not the starter, then after a little bit of time so see how it works I'm gonna transfer by thanking my coach, UTEP and my 'brothers' on the team.

The process for which all this happened was lame. We could all read between the lines and saw this happening a mile away. Maybe a little too far on the hard work thing, but if these guys would just come out and say the truth it would make their decisions more respectful in my eyes.

So basically its I couldn't cut it at UTEP so my family and friends are gonna back out of their commitments, I'm gonna pretend to opt out because of COVID once I know I'm not the starter, then after a little bit of time so see how it works I'm gonna transfer by thanking my coach, UTEP and my 'brothers' on the team.

The process for which all this happened was lame. We could all read between the lines and saw this happening a mile away. Maybe a little too far on the hard work thing, but if these guys would just come out and say the truth it would make their decisions more respectful in my eyes.

You think players owe fans a detailed explanation for why they're leaving a school?

Reactions: Hot For Keitha
Defender: What inspired your decision to commit to UTEP?

Goodwin:
The coaches showed genuine love and knew that I have what it takes to push them over the edge, so I really liked that. They also gave me the idea that I could come in and try to play, compete for a spot and play early.

You think players owe fans a detailed explanation for why they're leaving a school?
No, but I do think it would make the act of transferring more respectable (for me at least). When players say the same thing over and over they are just following an unwritten rule, but they are often not telling the truth either.

I am entitled to that opinion and people are entitled to their opinions about players, etc..It comes with the territory.

Reactions: picks up
Defender: What inspired your decision to commit to UTEP?

Goodwin:
The coaches showed genuine love and knew that I have what it takes to push them over the edge, so I really liked that. They also gave me the idea that I could come in and try to play, compete for a spot and play early.

That's not him saying he feels he was supposed to be given the job. He said he "could come in and try to play." That doesn't sound entitled, that sounds like every competitive person who wants to win a spot on the field.

it’s pretty obvious he quit because he wasn’t made the starter

It's only obvious if you want to assume the worst about his character. I'd rather take him at his word till he proves his word has no value. Maybe he already has proven that and I'm just unaware of that. I really don't know much about his personal situation.

That's not him saying he feels he was supposed to be given the job. He said he "could come in and try to play." That doesn't sound entitled, that sounds like every competitive person who wants to win a spot on the field.
And what did he do when he didn’t win the spot on the field?

I assume that was the plan.....Kai for the meantime and TJ then takes over. Hardinson was like not in the works, but TJ did not earn the coaches trust for whatever reason.

That being said, every coach will give their highly, recruited player from a recruiting hotbed every chance to succeed and yet he didn’t.

Oh well, hoping he finds success somewhere else.
Sometimes certain players don’t click with certain staffs. It doesn’t mean there has to be a bad guy in this.

h well, hoping he finds success somewhere else.
Sometimes certain players don’t click with certain staffs. It doesn’t mean there has to be a bad guy in this.
Exactly, He hopefully gets a place to showcase his skills and help a team, we get a chance to bring another who might be a better fit. No one loses and as fans we have to stop assuming the negative about these kids, unless we have proof otherwise. Rumors, could hurt his chances and return to haunt us later. He wanted more playing time and it wasn't happening, now looking for another opportunity.

Reactions: Taco1977
Looks like he finally landed somewhere. Never heard of Lincoln University (California) until today. It's an NAIA program in its 3rd season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT