ADVERTISEMENT

Tom Mason key to UTEP success

jdubb66

MI Hall of Famer
Feb 10, 2009
Now in his second year, how good can coach Mason's defense get. According to his bio "Mason’s defense ranked third in C-USA in opponent first downs (22.1 per game) and ranked fifth in total defense (419.3 yards per game allowed)."

Those are pretty gaudy numbers considering it was his first year working with these players. Mason was the Defensive Coordinator with SMU during their bowl run a few years ago. He's retained a list of 20, that's right, 20 linebackers on the current roster of various shapes and sizes from huge to average. If we had to play a game with only linebackers starting, we'd probably do okay.

As a whole, the Miners return a large cache of players with game experience on the defensive side. There's reason for optimism all things considered.

Then again...this is how I see the world.
gettyimages-186069500_master_1.jpg

Totally agree, great point, if the pass rush develops to a consistency point, defense could be a major strength and change the way I feel about this team.

Really like our secondary, and our two starting corners might be the best in the C-USA West.

As mentioned before, I am hopeful that our defense will be improved this year as well. I have been somewhat cautious of completely buying into Tom Mason, but looking at some of his history at SMU makes me feel better.

- In 2012, they held 6 teams to 17 points or less(including shutting out Mike Price's offense 17-0 in a road game at UTEP.). They held 5 of their final 6 opponents to 17 points or less. They had 2 shutouts and they also won their Bowl Game 46-10.

- In 2011, they held 5 teams to 17 points or less. They won their Bowl Game 28-6.

- In 2010, they held 6 teams to 18 points or less(5 teams to 17 points or less). They played well but lost their Bowl Game 14-16.

- In 2009, they did not hold as many teams under 17, but they won their Bowl Game 46-10.

2012 was the year when he really had things rolling, but there was also a decent progression from 2009 up until 2012.

What really jumps out at me is how well Mason's defenses performed in all 4 of their Bowl Games. They only gave up 10, 16, 6, and 10 points in their Bowl Games. That means they only gave up 10.5 points per Bowl Game. That shows that he was really effective at getting his guys ready using the extra month of preperation time that Bowl Games give teams.

What does scare me about Mason, is how poorly his defenses have historically performed against Option teams. His defenses have given up a combined 148 points in his last 3 regular season games against option schools. That covers 3 different teams and 3 different groups of players, in which he is the only common link. These performances were also against 3 different academy schools(UTEP vs. Army, Hawaii vs. Air Force, and SMU vs. Navy). This is obviously a bad trend knowing that we have a road game against a military option academy this year.

Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
SMU had better athletes. Mason would have to get on the recruiting trail
in order to have success.

GO Miners...

The key to the defense will be Tiano Tialavea and Chris Richardson. Those two will anchor the dline. They are the most physically gifted d-linemen we have had at UTEP in the last decade. Richardson really came on the late part of last season and in the spring. He's very quick, strong uses great technique.
It could be argued that Tiano Tialavea is the most talented d-lineman UTEP has ever signed. If it wasn't for a knee injury his senior year in high school he would be playing for the Pac 12 champion Washington Huskies. He had a shoulder injury last year which caused him to red shirt. Durability is now a real question. Hopefully he stays healthy because he has freaky athletism and skills for a D-lineman.

If those two can stay healthy and draw double teams and get penetration the defense will be in good shape.

Hopefully Keith Sullivan will be eligible after summer two. If he gets eligible that will be huge. He would be an immediate impact player.

The secondary is the best unit on the team. The secondary is better than any secondary in cusa.

The linebackers are very athletic. Alvin Jones gets most of the headlines, but Jason van hook is a star in the making and the best linebacker on the team. They've done a good job of building depth and athleticism in the linebacker core.

The defense is very talented. Last year was the first year Mason was a coordinator for a team that didn't run the run and shoot. I have faith he will make adjustments and the defense. The defense reminds me of the Nord era the staff has done a great job of evaluating talent. Now they have to put it together.

He's retained a list of 20, that's right, 20 linebackers on the current roster of various shapes and sizes from huge to average. If we had to play a game with only linebackers starting, we'd probably do okay.

Having so many linebackers on the roster should also be good for our special teams.

Reactions: jdubb66
Does anyone know what Metz record as a starter is?
According to my unofficial calculations he is 5-7 as a starter.

In 2016 he went 3-4.
In 2015 2-3.

He did play a big role in the 2015 comeback at NMSU, a game in which he did not start but did win. Also in 2015 vs FIU he was benched after four series so he started but didn't finish the first half. In 2016 he had to leave the La Tech game early with a concussion after he was hit out bounds and no flag was thrown. UTEP was in the game to possibly pull off the upset.

If he stays healthy I like our odds of winning at least five games.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT