ADVERTISEMENT

Top 14 CUSA school breakdown

Its sad that utep use to be in same league as Utah, TCU and Boise St. How did utep fall off so much?

Its sad that utep use to be in same league as Utah, TCU and Boise St. How did utep fall off so much?
Thanks to Complacent Bob waiting for Mike Price to finally develop a respectable defense, those school's were winning bowl games, and making moves while we were winning four games per season in the latter part of Price's tenure, just my opinion....

Thanks Bob!

images

Reactions: UTEPDefense
Thanks to Complacent Bob waiting for Mike Price to finally develop a respectable defense, those school's were winning bowl games, and making moves while we were winning four games per season in the latter part of Price's tenure, just my opinion....

Quinton Demps was in town and on Sportstalk last Friday. It was interesting to hear him say that he noticed the talent level of the new players drop as soon as Price took over and he began recruiting here. These were his words. The stats also support his opinion, as Mike Price only signed 1 player out of his 9 recruiting classes here that got drafted by the NFL. By comparison, Gary Nord signed 7 players(including Demps) in only 3 recruiting classes that got drafted by the NFL.

I firmly believe that Price did likely get more out of Nord's players during Price's first 2 years than Nord would have gotten had he stayed for 2 more years. But the fact also remains that during his first 3 years here, Nord was always building for the long term and constantly stated that those final 2 years(years 4 & 5) would be the "pay-off" years and he was right, they were....but just for the next Coach who came after him. Price then also never had a winning season again after he ran out of Nord's players, which again reaffirms Demps first hand account that our talent level dropped once Price's Staff began recruiting here. These are the years where we were passed by a new set of schools that we were once on the same level with.

It almost appears as if UTEP should have tried a different approach during Price's 9 years here. Maybe let Price handle the Coaching and Motivation, but outsource the recruiting and discipline to a different Staff. Of course, a scenario like that is not possible, but UTEP had it's best success since 2000 with a combination of Price Coaching players that another Coach spent years building. If we can't get one Coach to successfully do it all, then maybe trying a joint scenario like that might be something to look at. In basketball for instance, Floyd hired a JC Coach last year who's job is only to recruit. Again, not saying that any of this is truly possible, just that thinking outside of the box based on what has worked here in the past might be an idea to kick around one day. Also, our Administration being content to stay with a sinking CUSA, while schools like San Jose State joined the Mountain West deserves a lot of blame for our falling further behind other schools as well.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
I think it's funny some of you guys say how times have changed when we were in the wac and the teams we used to play and how did we get here??

you all make it sound like we belonged in the wac (in basketball we did) but in football ummm we were the laughing stock of the league, we could never compete with those other teams.... so if anything they put us where we belong (and still have not won against these supposedly inferior schools)

I think it's funny some of you guys say how times have changed when we were in the wac and the teams we used to play and how did we get here??

you all make it sound like we belonged in the wac (in basketball we did) but in football ummm we were the laughing stock of the league, we could never compete with those other teams.... so if anything they put us where we belong (and still have not won against these supposedly inferior schools)

Sure, but for a more recent comparison, go back to when we joined CUSA and you will see that at that time we were on a very comparable level with schools like: Houston, SMU, Memphis, Etc. In some aspects we were actually better. I will give you an example; during the 3 years from 2004 to 2007(this was the time when we joined CUSA), UTEP went a combined 7-2 against Houston & SMU in basketball and 3-2 against Houston & SMU in football during those 3 years. Now those programs are almost light years ahead of us.

Last edited:
Those 3 years in football were the exception not the rule.....utep football has always been a joke

To expand this a little further, there was an 8 year period from 2003 to 2010 when UTEP went a combined 8-6 against Houston & SMU in football and a combined 20-8 against Houston & SMU in basketball. We had a combined winning record in both sports covering an 8 year period and this was not terribly long ago. I think it is safe to say that we were at a much more comparable level to Houston & SMU at that time, than we are today. So the question that was being asked, which is why did we not maintain our standing and why have we fallen so far behind them is a valid one.

To expand this a little further, there was an 8 year period from 2003 to 2010 when UTEP went a combined 8-6 against Houston & SMU in football and a combined 20-8 against Houston & SMU in basketball. We had a combined winning record in both sports covering an 8 year period and this was not terribly long ago. I think it is safe to say that we were at a much more comparable level to Houston & SMU at that time, than we are today. So the question that was being asked, which is why did we not maintain our standing and why have we fallen so far behind them is a valid one.

The simple answer? Compare the philosopies of Dr Renu Khator (UH pres) and Dr Natalicio.

None of the Stull, Kugler and Floyd trio would still be around if they worked under RK. All of them are still around working under DN...with no end in sight.

And to bring SMU into the fold, look at who they have brought in to coach both revenue sports. Even though he is gone, Larry Brown for bb and Chad Morris for fb. The bar has been set high at both SMU and UH...not so much at UTEP.

Last edited:
So the question that was being asked, which is why did we not maintain our standing and why have we fallen so far behind them is a valid one.

One word: Expectations.

FanatiCoog compared/contrasted Dr.s Khator and Natalicio as examples. Following Herman's departure, Khator said the next football coach at Houston would be fired for winning 8 games. Hyperbole? Perhaps, but she clearly communicated her expectations and set the expectations bar for Applewhite and everyone else. Natalicio?

Now, goals without plans are only wishes. Until someone comes up with a plan, winning football at UTEP will only be a wish...

You realize We've been to more bowl games than ncaa tournaments in the last 25 years. Neither program is good.

All I am saying is basketball belonged in the wac wayyyyy more than football.... and I would hope we have been to more bowl games than NCAA tourneys .... there is a bowl game for everyone... but playing in the 7-11 toilet bowl doesn't mean much

One word: Expectations.

FanatiCoog compared/contrasted Dr.s Khator and Natalicio as examples. Following Herman's departure, Khator said the next football coach at Houston would be fired for winning 8 games. Hyperbole? Perhaps, but she clearly communicated her expectations and set the expectations bar for Applewhite and everyone else. Natalicio?

Now, goals without plans are only wishes. Until someone comes up with a plan, winning football at UTEP will only be a wish...

Hyperbole? I think not. Look no further than exhibit #1, Tony Levine. UH went 8-5 his final two seasons, granted he didn't coach the bowl game, and he was let go.

#Expectations

Reactions: LaserCoog
ODU best basketball Arena? I have been to plenty of ODU games here in Norfolk, The arena does not compare to the Don Haskins Center! What they do have better is the fan support, always very loud. Love watching them play UTEP, almost seems like a rival game gotta get your tickets early!

ODU best basketball Arena? I have been to plenty of ODU games here in Norfolk, The arena does not compare to the Don Haskins Center! What they do have better is the fan support, always very loud. Love watching them play UTEP, almost seems like a rival game gotta get your tickets early!

All you need to say to ODU and their fans: Win something. Conference crown in major revenue sport. Win a first round NCAA game. Something.

ODU kind of lives in their own little bubble.

All you need to say to ODU and their fans: Win something. Conference crown in major revenue sport. Win a first round NCAA game. Something.

So I take it you're not too impressed with their CIT and Vegas 16 8 championships.

The only reasons we're not in the Mountain West right now are because:

A. We turned down an offer when we were in Conf. usa with mates, Houston, SMU, Rice. So MW went with Reno, UTAH State and San Jose st. Miscalculation from Bob.

B. BYU didn't want back in the MW a couple of years ago but that could change when their TV deal with ESPN dies in 2019.

These two facts are well documented if you want to research.

Now that's about funny, banging on ODU? How about substituting "UTEP" for every "ODU" in your post, see how that sounds...

Reactions: develman
Now that's about funny, banging on ODU? How about substituting "UTEP" for every "ODU" in your post, see how that sounds...
In my opinion the major difference is that for the most part UTEP fans are humble and realize our limitations. ODU fans are stuck up and act like god's gift to college athletics.

The only reasons we're not in the Mountain West right now are because:

A. We turned down an offer when we were in Conf. usa with mates, Houston, SMU, Rice. So MW went with Reno, UTAH State and San Jose st. Miscalculation from Bob.

STRONGLY disagree. Stull's miscalculation was NOT turning down MW, Stull's mistake turning down MW AND not taking UTEP football and basketball to the next level. Had he done so, UTEP MIGHT have been in the conversation, for example, when the AAC reconstituted. SMU did it and was rewarded. Tulsa did it and was rewarded. Houston certainly did it and was rewarded. For almost a decade, Bob Stull has driven UTEP athletics into the ground. Seriously, what does UTEP currently have to offer ANY conference in terms of competitiveness?

STRONGLY disagree. Stull's miscalculation was NOT turning down MW, Stull's mistake turning down MW AND not taking UTEP football and basketball to the next level. Had he done so, UTEP MIGHT have been in the conversation, for example, when the AAC reconstituted. SMU did it and was rewarded. Tulsa did it and was rewarded. Houston certainly did it and was rewarded. For almost a decade, Bob Stull has driven UTEP athletics into the ground. Seriously, what does UTEP currently have to offer ANY conference in terms of competitiveness?
It's my understanding that conferences look at TV DMA's, facilities, fan support, brand, geography, history and academics more than recent on-field performances.

It's my understanding that conferences look at TV DMA's, facilities, fan support, brand, geography, history and academics more than recent on-field performances.
Of course that tv market, location and all those other factors played a huge role in the schools selected for the AAC. UCF and UH had on field performance, location, and market so they were a no brainer. Tulsa had good on field performance and a decent top 60 market. SMU had a top five market, rich boosters committed to returning to past glory so they got in after stringing together a couple of seasons with one or two games over .500.

What exactly did Memphis and Tulane do besides provide geographical proximity and tv markets. Since the start of CUSA 2.0 in 2005 the two schools combined for two winning seasons in football. In those eight years they also combined for finishing as either a #11 or #12 ten times. Many times they were the two worst teams in CUSA.

While UTEP might be bad we have never been last place bad or second to last place bad.

UTEP does need to make some drastic changes in leadership. Stull should have been gone years ago but El Paso still has the mentality of a loyal small town. Stull has made some gambles that haven't paid off. I sincerely wish that this upcoming season we see some end to our suffering as UTEP sport fans. If not we desperately need change. If Natalicio will not fire Stull then BS needs to own up to his hiring mistakes, put on his big boy pants and clean house.

If we can put a couple of bowl seasons together, some NCAA tournament runs, the Sun Bowl renovations, and average 30/8+ there will be a place for us in the MW during he next wave of realignment.

In my opinion the major difference is that for the most part UTEP fans are humble and realize our limitations. ODU fans are stuck up and act like god's gift to college athletics.
None of the fans on this board are humble. You guys are the opposite. You all know what fans I'm talking about. The same ones you all bitch about because all they do is stay seated and stay quite... I can't speak for all ODU fans but the ones I do meet are always happy to see Miner fans at their game.

What exactly did Memphis and Tulane do besides provide geographical proximity and tv markets.
I'm with you on Tulane, but in basketball, I seem to remember Memphis making the Final Four in recent years and they're never a pushover in basketball. I think basketball is important to those old Big East schools in the AAC.

I'm with you on Tulane, but in basketball, I seem to remember Memphis making the Final Four in recent years and they're never a pushover in basketball. I think basketball is important to those old Big East schools in the AAC.
Yes Memphis did have some good basketball teams. Even though that 2008 National Championship run was vacated. Football drives all realignment as in the case of Uconn. Despite winning National Championships they remain in a G5 conference.

Tulsa and ECU were the two last schools selected to the AAC. Even though those two schools posted the best winning percentage and tied for the most CUSA championship titles during CUSA 2.0. If it wasn't because the MW schools backed out and the C7 took their ball home some of best football schools were going to be left behind in CUSA.

It's not all about winning games on the field because if that was case those two schools I mentioned would have been among the first picked not the last.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT