ADVERTISEMENT

Totally OT but CUSA related: Marshall wins College Cup over Indiana

I wonder if any insiders are considering soccer in the Sun Bowl? Is the field too narrow for that?
Might be more profitable than Football and we might actually win some games.
20 years ago UTEP removed seating at the end zone corners to accommodate a regulation sized soccer pitch. There have been some exhibition games played there, and I believe at one time the old El Paso Patriots team played their home games in the Sun Bowl. But truth be told, it wouldn't be cost effective to have soccer matches at the Sun Bowl.

Reactions: kickballpro
There could be friendly between FC Dallas and either Austin/ Houston Dynamo on the field turf since Portland and Seattle play on it. But would @UTEPAthletics have to change the field lighting for that to happen?

What's the biggest soccer game ever hosted at the Sun Bowl? (Any national teams ever play there?) What was the crowd?

I presume the Mexican National Team would draw more than USMNT in El Paso. Did any of the Juarez teams ever play there?

What's the biggest soccer game ever hosted at the Sun Bowl? (Any national teams ever play there?) What was the crowd?

I presume the Mexican National Team would draw more than USMNT in El Paso. Did any of the Juarez teams ever play there?
No national teams of any kind. I saw Tigres play at the Sun Bowl one time. I think a Brazilian team played here once. Crowds were around 20,000

Mexico would probably never play here, because they can sell more tickets in Charlotte and Atlanta; along with all the other mainstays. Chicago, LA, Dallas, and Phoenix. Yes, they would out sell the US 25 to 1 here, at least.

FC Juarez has played in El Paso twice I believe. Both at SUP. They were 2nd division at the time though.

Reactions: kickballpro
No national teams of any kind. I saw Tigres play at the Sun Bowl one time. I think a Brazilian team played here once. Crowds were around 20,000

Mexico would probably never play here, because they can sell more tickets in Charlotte and Atlanta; along with all the other mainstays. Chicago, LA, Dallas, and Phoenix. Yes, they would out sell the US 25 to 1 here, at least.

FC Juarez has played in El Paso twice I believe. Both at SUP. They were 2nd division at the time though.

I was there. They put Grass in the Sun Bowl and only used one side of the stadium and there were still plenty of space.

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT