ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

What's taking Tyrin Smith so long to announce?? Is he staying. I noticed that he was ranked higher than Cowing in the top 50 Wrs list. He doesn't list Utep on his Twitter or IG.

What about any other miners??

Jeremiah Byers is ranked the 19th best player in the transfer portal. He was a 2 star recruit coming out of HS and didn’t get many offers. The guy worked hard and developed into a great OL for UTEP. Byers just committed to Florida State and will have a chance to play against better competition. I wish he would have stayed, but can’t blame him for wanting to go to a P5 school. Wish him the best and hope he makes it to the NFL.

Jeremiah Byers is ranked the 19th best player in the transfer portal. He was a 2 star recruit coming out of HS and didn’t get many offers. The guy worked hard and developed into a great OL for UTEP. Byers just committed to Florida State and will have a chance to play against better competition. I wish he would have stayed, but can’t blame him for wanting to go to a P5 school. Wish him the best and hope he makes it to the NFL.
You forgot to mention the NIL money..

Are players really wanting to play against better competition, or is it now a money thing? Not specific to Byers, just in general... Times have changed.
Could be both.

He could have made the NFL out of UTEP... but he is going to get more eyes at Florida State, especially if he is successful as a LT. Difference could be a whole round when drafted. He will be playing better talent which means better film for scouts to study. Maybe the OL coach they have has a reputation of putting out nfl OL? Florida State does put good linemen into the NFL, or atleast historically have.

He could have also been offered a lot of NIL money and probably had P5 teams competing.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
It's always been about money of every person involved in sports at every level. Just now it's not behind closed doors anymore.
I wouldn't go that far. Are you saying that UTEP players were and are getting money now?

I wouldn't go that far. Are you saying that UTEP players were and are getting money now?
I'm saying everyone involved in sports is either getting paid or trying to. And yes, UTEP has had players in basketball and football that were paid under the table before. Probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out a few of the names.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I'm saying everyone involved in sports is either getting paid or trying to. And yes, UTEP has had players in basketball and football that were paid under the table before. Probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out a few of the names.
Yeah I'm sure, but you said 'always' and 'every' which is disagree. It's more about making money NOW for most players if they can, not just the top players or bigger schools.

Yeah I'm sure, but you said 'always' and 'every' which is disagree. It's more about making money NOW for most players if they can, not just the top players or bigger schools.
More people are get a piece of the pie now, yes. Money isn't however all of a sudden more important now. It's been a priority. Money isn't the change. It's freedom of movement. This movement is allowing more people to get a payday. It's the best thing that could of happened for college sports. The players will figure out how to better handle their new control as time goes on. Schools like UTEP had better start embracing the farm system approach similar to JCs.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Agree with the farm system. I think the NCAA should have put billions into a player payroll and pay every athlete the same amount.
The transfer portal is fine but should be limited to 2 per athlete.
If a player wants to transfer a third time does it on their own dime.

Reactions: kickballpro
Agree with the farm system. I think the NCAA should have put billions into a player payroll and pay every athlete the same amount.
Yes, if we're going to pay athletes at academic institutions, then they should get paid the same amount. Boosters should not be bribing players to jump to their favorite schools. There should be a single "pay the players" fund that media partners and EA Sports (or whoever makes a video game with players' likenesses) should pay into, and then every player at every school should receive an equal amount from this fund. If we care about fairness, this is the way to do it.

The revenue sports subsidize the non-revenue sports, which provides scholarship opportunities for women through Title IX. Most of the smaller schools are struggling to make ends meet, and if under the new paradigm, they are simply no longer able to remain competitive in the revenue sports because they lose all their players every season to transfers, these schools will bring in less revenue and will have to start shutting down programs because they can no longer make ends meet, and all these scholarship opportunities at the smaller schools will go poof. If academic institutions are no longer in this business to provide scholarship opportunities, then I wonder why they should be in this business at all.

I already have a favorite professional team.

I think Tyrin Smith will make first team all CUSA team next if he stays healthy. Hoping our other receivers step up and complement Smith.

Reactions: MinerFan79
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT