ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

minerpride31

All Star
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2013
From what i can see, we have a handful of players that are entering the transfer portal:

Joe Jay Smith
Tanner Boston
Kriston Davis
Tre'shon Wolf

There may be more coming, my guess is they will be some of the hold overs from Kugler.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
Question: I know that we are limited to only signing a maximum of 11 guys in the December Signing Period, but if we lose some more players, does that mean that we will get more scholarships to offer in the regular signing period?, or are our numbers capped for that period as well?

It wouldn't shock me if Goodwin enters the transfer portal since he received zero playing time in those last 4 games. If that happens then look for a couple of commits to change their minds too. I hope it doesn't come to this but things are seemingly coming apart at the seams at UTEP FB.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Hearing there are more coming as the semester closes and guys make grades.

Sad thing is, if you're not named Quadraiz Wadley, no FBS programs want you, NONE, so basically any one transferring from UTEP gets a one way ticket to FCS or the lower levels in my opinion. Not saying Wadley is transferring nor have I heard anything about him, but he's the only one who would actually garner real FBS interest in the transfer market and if I'm Q. Wadley, I'm out of this Dimel Shit Show and going back to the Dallas area or a chance at a bowl game.. Sad situation going on in the next few weeks with UTEP football, Mike Cox will be out, the OL coach could also be out from what I've heard, could see a major overhaul with the coaching staff in the coming weeks and of course, we are behind in recruiting with just a handful of commits.

We had a decent group of wide receivers this year (best in the past 5-6 years). Too bad we couldn't get them the ball. Dimel needs to go all out for a QB he is toast, coaching changes or not. It's too bad that Kugler let Montez get away because he would have been perfect in Dimel's offense and could have helped build something the past 2 years and provided time to really recruit the next QB. I dont remotely blame Montez though.

Dimel wouldn’t be here if Kugler had landed Montez.
Maybe in an alternate universe...
giphy.gif

The CU fans weren't real happy with Montez this. His play definately regressed this year. However, I think the fans were a little unfair to him. There has been alot more behind Colorado's fall the last three years than Montez. He's light years better than any qb we've had the past four years.

As for the transfers the shit show continues. We are not even close to hitting the bottom yet which is scary. Wolf is a huge loss. This is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: minerfan_14

Sad thing is, if you're not named Quadraiz Wadley, no FBS programs want you, NONE, so basically any one transferring from UTEP gets a one way ticket to FCS or the lower levels in my opinion. Not saying Wadley is transferring nor have I heard anything about him, but he's the only one who would actually garner real FBS interest in the transfer market and if I'm Q. Wadley, I'm out of this Dimel Shit Show and going back to the Dallas area or a chance at a bowl game.. Sad situation going on in the next few weeks with UTEP football, Mike Cox will be out, the OL coach could also be out from what I've heard, could see a major overhaul with the coaching staff in the coming weeks and of course, we are behind in recruiting with just a handful of commits.

Like Kenyon Foster. Dude went from alot of playing time as a slot here to Montana where he turned out to be a little used Corner.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Wolf? Yikes.

Fire Dismel now! It’s not going to get better!
Have you not read from countless, posts that UTEP can't afford the 2 million dollar buy out that Senter Stupidly put in place for a losing coach. Unless a booster donates that, it won't happen this year no matter how much people want it to.

Have you not read from countless, posts that UTEP can't afford the 2 million dollar buy out that Senter Stupidly put in place for a losing coach. Unless a booster donates that, it won't happen this year no matter how much people want it to.

The trajectory this is going the University will lose alot more than the 2.1 million the buyout would cost. It would save money to cut bait now before the financial losses pile up. It could be done now. Senter doesnt want to do it.

Reactions: axingfools1
From my understanding, the Portal means a player has interest in transferring but doesn't necessarily mean he is. They are just putting their name out there to gauge interest and open their recruiting.

Have a feeling they are going to make Waters the QB coach.

From my understanding, the Portal means a player has interest in transferring but doesn't necessarily mean he is. They are just putting their name out there to gauge interest and open their recruiting.

While that is true, that’s not really how it works. It’s like signing up for a dating site while you’re in a relationship. When your girlfriend finds out, are you going to be trusted and welcomed back? Probably not.

You hate to see people lose their job but this has to be done. Hopefully whoever comes in to replace these coaches, they have a couple of recruits in their back pocket and they can bring them to El Paso.

You hate to see people lose their job but this has to be done. Hopefully whoever comes in to replace these coaches, they have a couple of recruits in their back pocket and they can bring them to El Paso.

The problem is no up and coming posistion coach, or young successful fcs or d2 coordinator is going to want to tie their furniture to the coaching equivalent of the Titanic.

Last edited:
Reactions: develman
The problem is no up and coming posistion coach, or young successful fcs or d3 coordinator is going to want to tie their furniture to the coaching equivalent of the Titanic.

I disagree. Is UTEP the most desirable job? No. But it's still a D1 school and D1 money. Dimmel is worst case scenario going to take home 3.5 million dollars. He is a multi-millionaire. Become UTEP head coach and become a multi-millionaire. That is desirable. There are hundreds of coaches who would love the UTEP job. Of course our selection of coaches is not as big as other places. However, out of the hundreds of guys who would want this job. One has to be decent.

Reactions: MinerE
I disagree. Is UTEP the most desirable job? No. But it's still a D1 school and D1 money. Dimmel is worst case scenario going to take home 3.5 million dollars. He is a multi-millionaire. Become UTEP head coach and become a multi-millionaire. That is desirable. There are hundreds of coaches who would love the UTEP job. Of course our selection of coaches is not as big as other places. However, out of the hundreds of guys who would want this job. One has to be decent.

It's not UTEP. There is nothing wrong with UTEP. The problem is Dimel. Nobody with any shred of talent is going to risk their future to a coach with Dimels record.

KC Keeler and Sterlin Gilbert. Kc Keeler is a proven winner. Gilbert knew Kai was not a QB right away when he was OC at UT. Dimel couldn't figure out the obvious after 2 seasons. Both of them would have been a huge upgrade over Dimel.

The trajectory this is going the University will lose alot more than the 2.1 million the buyout would cost. It would save money to cut bait now before the financial losses pile up. It could be done now. Senter doesnt want to do it.
I fully get that. However based on the fact that this program has been down for so many years and is not in the black and Utep's History suggests strongly that a buy out won't happen. However we do have a new Prez, so maybe that will change how things we're once done.

If he was going to be fired it would have already happen. Sorry UTEP fans we are stuck for another year.

Reactions: minermx07
KC Keeler and Sterlin Gilbert. Kc Keeler is a proven winner. Gilbert knew Kai was not a QB right away when he was OC at UT. Dimel couldn't figure out the obvious after 2 seasons. Both of them would have been a huge upgrade over Dimel.

We were never getting Gilbert.

We were never getting Gilbert.

Well, he's the head coach at McNeese State, so we probably could have gotten him.

Also, could have had OCs Graham Harrell (currently at USC, possibly headed to Texas) and Eric Morris (then at Tech, now the head coach at Incarnate Word).

Reactions: FarWestTexas
Well, he's the head coach at McNeese State, so we probably could have gotten him.

Also, could have had OCs Graham Harrell (currently at USC, possibly headed to Texas) and Eric Morris (then at Tech, now the head coach at Incarnate Word).

After Kugler, they wanted someone with HC experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT