ADVERTISEMENT

Two Time Defending Champions Hoping Not To Make It Three Years In a Row

JCorona

MI Miner Maniac
Jun 15, 2014
We’re back in the infamous playoffs. This time earning the number 3 seed. We had the #1 seed locked up but our escape against HBU knocked us down the rankings. Very excited for our road matchup against the #2 seed Umass. Some are calling it the biggest football game in UTEP history. It’s a coin flip pick em game. With the edge going to Umass since UTEP doesn’t win on the east coast. I think we can lose this one and advance to the championship game against 2000 miles of hate rival ODU.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ield-features-reigning-champ-utep-no-1-akron/

UMass is absolutely atrocious and I honestly believe UTEP would beat them, maybe even by multiple scores. UTEP was at least competitive in many games, but UMass was routinely losing by 40+ points to bad-to-mediocre teams. They were blanked 44-0 by FIU, whereas UTEP lost 32-17 to FIU, as a common reference point.

And yet UMass beat Akron, who went winless this year. Akron has to be the worst team this season.

UTEP is solidly the third-worst team, which is absolutely nothing to brag about, but an honest appraisal can't place them as the absolute worst.

UMass is absolutely atrocious and I honestly believe UTEP would beat them, maybe even by multiple scores. UTEP was at least competitive in many games, but UMass was routinely losing by 40+ points to bad-to-mediocre teams. They were blanked 44-0 by FIU, whereas UTEP lost 32-17 to FIU, as a common reference point.

And yet UMass beat Akron, who went winless this year. Akron has to be the worst team this season.

UTEP is solidly the third-worst team, which is absolutely nothing to brag about, but an honest appraisal can't place them as the absolute worst.
We can't even suck the suckiest.

We were competitive? I must have been drunk out of my mind. Other than the Charlotte game, I remember us playing from behind most of the season, by multiple scores. I also don't really put stock in common opponents when it was just one opponent. For example Gary Nord's 2000 team beat San Jose State 47-30. That same year TCU lost to San Jose State 24-27. Yet when we played TCU we got stomped on 47-14. I was at that game, LT set the NCAA rushing record and the memory of that game has scarred me for life.

I saw this team consistently find a way to out-suck any opponent we faced. I have no doubt you could put UMASS or Akron in front of us and we would find a way to stink it up even more. It's like the team said "Ah hell na, you aren't going to get in front of our fans and out-pathetic us. We've been doing this for three quarters of a century and we have that $h!t down".

We were competitive? I must have been drunk out of my mind. Other than the Charlotte game, I remember us playing from behind most of the season, by multiple scores. I also don't really put stock in common opponents when it was just one opponent. For example Gary Nord's 2000 team beat San Jose State 47-30. That same year TCU lost to San Jose State 24-27. Yet when we played TCU we got stomped on 47-14. I was at that game, LT set the NCAA rushing record and the memory of that game has scarred me for life.

Apparently you remember it wrong. LT set the record (since broken) vs UTEP in 1999, not in 2000.

Reactions: FeralFelidae

Given the cheeky factor, UTEP would tie with UMass and lose to Akron. Why? Locksley really go hurt and so Hardison would play. Hardison would have calm nerves and show that arm he has. Given that fact, Dimel would continue to run him.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Given the cheeky factor, UTEP would tie with UMass and lose to Akron. Why? Locksley really go hurt and so Hardison would play. Hardison would have calm nerves and show that arm he has. Given that fact, Dimel would continue to run him.
I was at the Northwestern-UMass game. After Northwestern's 3rd-string QB threw two interceptions (not to UMass's credit; this QB was horrible all season), Northwestern switched to their 4th-string QB and didn't throw another pass the rest of the game. Northwestern's 4th (or 5th?) string RB rushed for over 200 yards and Northwestern won their 2nd game of the season 45-6. Northwestern came into the game with an offense ranked statistically in the bottom five in the country; they had a three-game stretch without scoring a touchdown. (It has been a nightmare year for Northwestern in terms of injuries, which exposed the ineptitude of their OC of many years who was fired the day after the season ended.)

I really don't think you appreciate just how bad UMass is. They were crushed by FCS SIU 45-20. Somebody mentioned that UTEP was competitive with Charlotte; UMass was crushed by Charlotte 52-17. They lost to an awful UConn 56-35. They were blown out of the water in every single game they played, except Akron. Given what I saw in the Northwestern game, I think even Hardison would have been able to run it down UMass's throat.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT