ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Smith - gone

So what WRs does Utep have left?? What about the transfers are they any good?? I'm shocked they didn't contribute this season.

What’s the status on the TCU transfer we picked up who didn’t play this year and what about the talk receiver who was redshirting, believe his name was Ballard?

So what WRs does Utep have left?? What about the transfers are they any good?? I'm shocked they didn't contribute this season.
Don’t know about the transfers, but we’re basically down to Rey Flores, Thompson (TE who caught the fake sneak TD), and the RBs as the leading returning receivers. Not good.

There’s got to be some good WRs available in the TP or via JUCO that are ready to play immediately. I’ve seen many players from P5 schools transfer to FCS schools. Why not UTEP? With UTEP’s winning season and bowl appearance you would think recruiting good players should be easier. At this point I don’t care if these are grad transfers that can only play one year. If they’re good, we should get them on board.

Last edited:
There’s got to be some good WRs available in the TP or via JUCO that are ready to play immediately. I’ve seen many players from P5 schools transfer to FCS schools. Why not UTEP? With UTEP’s winning season and bowl appearance you would think recruiting good players should be easier. At this point I don’t care if these are grad transfers that can only play one year. If they’re good, we should get them on board.
Yeah I’m for that. One and done as long as they produce on the field. It’s new times for UTEP football.

Smith tweets that he has an offer from WKU.
With their offense I believe it. Dimel runs the RPO and WKU doesn’t. If you’re Awatt or Hankins the writing is on the wall and is crystal clear, “stay put. This offense favors you.”.

But Hardison is getting better, and better and better. I think he needs to reconsider as Dimel does show he will get you the ball.

With their offense I believe it. Dimel runs the RPO and WKU doesn’t. If you’re Awatt or Hankins the writing is on the wall and is crystal clear, “stay put. This offense favors you.”.

But Hardison is getting better, and better and better. I think he needs to reconsider as Dimel does show he will get you the ball.
Wasn’t Awatt a senior this past season?

Still don't see Smith's name in the portal. Should have been there before now.

One thing that Tydus V said about the transfer portal is that it happens instantly.

He was saying that as soon as he put his contact information into the portal and pressed submit, he started receiving calls.

Hes already received an offer, so I am assuming its official, but I wouldn't be shocked if he's testing the waters and ends up back at UTEP.

Reactions: axingfools1
UTEP'S offense produced a top ten receiver. That's why Cowing is getting offers from everybody. If Smith comes back he would be the number one receiver in an offense that produced the number 8 receiver in yards last season. It's hard to find a situation better than that.
Smith isn’t a Cowing. Still not a lateral move… doubt the almighty Dimel offense is the reason Cowing had so much success.

Reactions: Taco1977
Legislation is need it to avoid these transfers. It only hurts Mid Majors like UTEP in favor of Major Athletic programs. If these transfers continue a program like Utep will never be in a future playoff.

Reactions: kickballpro
Smith isn’t a Cowing. Still not a lateral move… doubt the almighty Dimel offense is the reason Cowing had so much success.

UTEP offense had the 4th most attempts in CUSA. The 3 above them completed more than 65% while UTEP completed 55%. Attempts near the top of the league and completion percentage near the bottom is poor offense efficiency.

I am assuming Hardison is the QB going forward. He needs to improve his accuracy.

UTEP offense had the 4th most attempts in CUSA. The 3 above them completed more than 65% while UTEP completed 55%. Attempts near the top of the league and completion percentage near the bottom is poor offense efficiency

I am assuming Hardison is the QB going forward. He needs to improve his accuracy.
Rocky Perez, former UTEP QB and current radio broadcaster, blamed Dimel’s offense and poor play selection for Hardison’s shortcomings as UTEPs QB during multiple broadcasts this season. He also frequently stated alot of the throws required of Hardison are too difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: axingfools1
Legislation is need it to avoid these transfers. It only hurts Mid Majors like UTEP in favor of Major Athletic programs. If these transfers continue a program like Utep will never be in a future playoff.
That’s why I stated in a previous thread last week we need to be honest with ourselves and realize having Dimel may be a good thing because he has well established juco recruiting ties. He said something weeks ago that there are good JUCO players looking for a home year after year or something to that effect.

“Show me the money!” is the legislation from big programs and NCAA body since 2000 (some P5 chancellor’s literally said that in response to mid majors for access to big money bowls years ago).

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerFan79
Rocky Perez, former UTEP QB and current radio broadcaster, blamed Dimel’s offense and poor play selection for Hardison’s shortcomings as UTEPs QB during multiple broadcasts this season. He also frequently stated alot of the throws required of Hardison are too difficult.
He is also inaccurate on easy throws. Both share alot of blame.

That’s why I stated in a previous thread last week we need to be honest with ourselves and realize having Dimel may be a good thing because he has well established juco recruiting ties. He said something weeks ago that there are good JUCO players looking for a home year after year or something to that effect.

“Show me the money!” is the legislation from big programs and NCAA body since 2000 (some P5 chancellor’s literally said that in response to mid majors for access to big money bowls years ago).
There are also a ton of D1 FBS players looking for a home every year. I wish Dimel would go after some of them too.

Hardison's short game definitely needs refined; however, Hardison makes great strides year after year. I remember when he came in to relieve Locksley and he looked like me at a high school Saturday night dance when a brave girl said "Ok. I'll dance".
Accuracy something that you typically see a great deal of improvement on. Reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball is usually where you'll see improvement. At this point, he pretty much is who he's always going to be, a mid to high 50% completion guy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT