ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Smith

I guess if nothing else the transfer portal is better than the players who leave to go pro then are screwed when they overestimate their status and aren't picked up by anyone

At least the transfer portal lets them take it back

Vince Hunter comes to mind
Vince was gone no matter what. Plus the tweet from Jeff Darby didn't help either. Speaking of which, how is that guy still in UTEP's athletics department?
uteptweet.0.png

Last edited:
Vince was gone no matter what. Plus the tweet from Jeff Darby didn't help either. Speaking of which, how is that guy still in UTEP's athletics department?
Terrible tweet terrible moment in UTEP athletics. Was Darby the one who sent it or some dumbass student in the athletic department in control of the twitter

Vince Hunter comes to mind
He declared for the draft and at the time players did not have the option to return once securing an agent. That was a good rule change in my opinion and has stern guidelines unlike the transfer portal.

I don’t think that was the only tweet. I remember there being several. CTF was livid
Well, probably but we have had 3 coaches since Floyd, Chris Park is at Washington State, Bob Stull has long since retired, Dr Natalicio is with God

Current people in those roles probably don't know anything about it

UTEP looks to Tyrin Smith to replace passing game production​

by: Colin Deaver
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 / 07:11 PM MDT
Updated: Aug 8, 2022 / 10:52 PM MDT

EL PASO, Texas (KTSM) – Before he transferred to Arizona in the offseason, Jacob Cowing was on pace to break almost every wide receiver record in the books at UTEP.

With Cowing – as well as the graduated Justin Garrett – out of the picture, UTEP is in search of players that could replace the production of Cowing. It won’t be easy by any means, and could be more by-committee than anything, but the Miners may have a guy that could come close.

Enter Tyrin Smith, a sophomore that transferred in from Cisco College before the 2021 campaign. Smith became a dynamic part of UTEP’s offense over the course of the season, catching 33 passes for 570 yards and four touchdowns in 2021.

However, over 65% of his receptions (22) and receiving yards (371) came in the final six games of the season, as did three of his touchdown catches. Those numbers prove how much UTEP and quarterback Gavin Hardison grew to trust Smith over the latter portion of the season. They’re hoping he improved even more in the offseason and will be ready to produce at a higher level.

“I have to make more big plays. I have to be more of a leader on the offensive side of the ball, just bring the receivers group together. There’s some young guys but also some experience, too,” Smith said after practice on Monday.

Like Cowing, Smith entered the transfer portal after the 2021 campaign, before electing to return to UTEP. It was a huge boost for the Miners receiving corps to get him back.

In fall camp, Smith has shown an improved cohesion with Hardison; on Monday, the duo linked up for a deep ball down the sideline for a touchdown. Smith leads what could be a deeper group of receivers in 2022, including Rey Flores, Kelly Akharaiyi, Jeremiah Ballard and Emari White.

“I’m really happy with that position and it’s going to come down who the playmakers are for us in time,” said UTEP head coach Dana Dimel.

Smith agreed that the receiving corps could turn some heads.

“I think we’re going to rise and be really good. We’ll definitely surprise some people, the ceiling is high,” Smith said.

As for his personal goals, he’s not afraid to put pressure on himself to be a big-play threat for the Miners as they enter the most anticipated season in years."

No 1 target for an experienced QB. Great hands and speed. Hell have a great year if he doesn't get injured.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT