ADVERTISEMENT

UAB reinstates football for 2016

Whatever we may think of UAB, now we won't have to replace them with a watered down substitute. Their basketball program has always been competitive. Their football team had their best showing in years, until their administration tried to throw them under the bus. Hopefully, UAB fans will turn out for the team and they can represent the conference well. That would be a win win situation for UAB and CUSA.

Whatever we may think of UAB, now we won't have to replace them with a watered down substitute. Their basketball program has always been competitive. Their football team had their best showing in years, until their administration tried to throw them under the bus. Hopefully, UAB fans will turn out for the team and they can represent the conference well. That would be a win win situation for UAB and CUSA.

But no football this year. Is there still a June 8th discussion of this matter? Otherwise, what can stop other programs from pulling this stunt? "Hey! Lets drop football and mens basketball to raise funds and hold up the alumni bank coffers?! It worked for UAB!!"

Im happy for UAB fans they deserve it. However, its not a great situation watts basically gave uab a self imposed death penalty. They will have to start from scratch and may not get back on the field until 2017. The first year will be an fcs independent, the second year they will be back in cusa but not eligible for a bowl. So it could be 2019 before they are full fledged fbs member again. Hopefully they get a new stadium because legion field is a dump.

Reactions: kickballpro
I wonder if they would allow the football players to come back.
That would be awesome.

Go Miners...

If I get in a sour mood over the situation, I might half believe the conspiricy theory about holding up the alumni. I hope that wasn't the case.

If I get in a sour mood over the situation, I might half believe the conspiricy theory about holding up the alumni. I hope that wasn't the case.

No it wasn't at all the case. This was 100% 'bama booster and alums trying to get the Tuscaloosa school out of a major, major deficit.

CUSA will throw them out, but UAB offers a good TV market but now possibly lose the north Texas/Dallas, Houston and Florida coast/Dade County market, BUT if invited into the MVC, they now get to go up against Wichita State and UNI in basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT