ADVERTISEMENT

UAB vs UTEP: Do Miners have a legit chance to win this game?

utep2step

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 10, 2001
UTEP MINERS

6 - 9

b919927a7f5d21f93a8d000d2547cab6-ea7d777b38a72a95cca75639bf70f0e8.png

6-7
ATS
3-10
O/U
PPG
OPPG

028bc0adaa08a0c04fe654c9de2578d4-45d6fc09679d124dd0f6fdafab369811.png

UAB BLAZERS

10 - 7

6-9
ATS
4-10
O/U
PPG
OPPG

BETTING TRENDS

https://winnersandwhiners.com/games/ncaab/1-17-2019/utep-vs-uab-prediction-4322/

Line opened at 8, it's at 7.5 right now, thought UAB would be a double digit favorite in this one, crazy stuff always happens with UTEP-UAB hook in B-Ham, big difference will be rebounding, if were negative four or more on the boards, we easily lose by double digits, if we rebound and able to knock down shots and avoid sloppy play on offense, we might have a chance to cover and keep things close....

Line opened at 8, it's at 7.5 right now, thought UAB would be a double digit favorite in this one, crazy stuff always happens with UTEP-UAB hook in B-Ham, big difference will be rebounding, if were negative four or more on the boards, we easily lose by double digits, if we rebound and able to knock down shots and avoid sloppy play on offense, we might have a chance to cover and keep things close....
PitifulWeirdDiplodocus-small.gif

Reactions: HeWore62
Not a fan of Adrian Broaddus at KROD ESPN 600 but here are some fact in his article that touch on what Bigwood stated. I think a common theme is coming from fans, media and just plain truth......CRT needs to consider in benching Thomas.

"Similarly, defenses have dared struggling shooters to score on open looks, such as Paul Thomas, who is shooting a team-low .200 field goal percentage."

"UAB enters Thursday's game with a +7.1 rebounding margin, which is the best in C-USA."

http://krod.com/utep-at-uab-preview-three-keys-for-the-miners-on-the-road/

Wish I knew how to post video snips and photos. Anybody got an operator's manual on this thing?
Use the buttons right above your text field. "film strip" icon is for social media sites that "embed". Photo landscape icon (to the right of the emoji's) is for .gif and jpeg photos.

Not a fan of Adrian Broaddus at KROD ESPN 600 but here are some fact in his article that touch on what Bigwood stated. I think a common theme is coming from fans, media and just plain truth......CRT needs to consider in benching Thomas.

"Similarly, defenses have dared struggling shooters to score on open looks, such as Paul Thomas, who is shooting a team-low .200 field goal percentage."

"UAB enters Thursday's game with a +7.1 rebounding margin, which is the best in C-USA."

http://krod.com/utep-at-uab-preview-three-keys-for-the-miners-on-the-road/
Benching Thomas is a sensible idea, but who do you replace him with? Campbell is the only real possibility.

Use the buttons right above your text field. "film strip" icon is for social media sites that "embed". Photo landscape icon (to the right of the emoji's) is for .gif and jpeg photos.
What is the image URL? THANKS

Do you think we could get away with playing eze at the 5 and efe at the 4? I don’t think efe is fast enough to cover a 4 but just asking

Reactions: MinerMambo
Benching Thomas is a sensible idea, but who do you replace him with? Campbell is the only real possibility.
50-50 that it may or may not work. twenty percent from the field is borderline playing for the first time high school production. This is horrid for Thomas. Does Campbell offer more on the court than Thomas? As per ESPN, Thomas has twice the output as compared to Campbell. If Campbell starts, will his output double and does he provide more chemistry on the court as compared to Thomas? The intangibles.

Paul Thomas:

GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%

15 27.1 7.4 5.1 2.0 0.3 0.3 2.3 .427 .545 .378

Ountae Campbell

10 24.1 3.5 2.4 1.2 0.8 0.2 1.2 .359 .375 .190

Sure, if we jump out to an early lead! I think the Miners have the talent to compete with anybody in the conference for the first half. We just don't have the depth to maintain that intensity for the entire game.

So in any given game, I think the Miners can come out on fire and build a nice lead, then slow the game down in the second half and hang on for the win.

Do you think we could get away with playing eze at the 5 and efe at the 4? I don’t think efe is fast enough to cover a 4 but just asking
Not sure but didn't CRT try that at Arizona? I can't remember.

Sure, if we jump out to an early lead! I think the Miners have the talent to compete with anybody in the conference for the first half. We just don't have the depth to maintain that intensity for the entire game.

So in any given game, I think the Miners can come out on fire and build a nice lead, then slow the game down in the second half and hang on for the win.
Yup! But the problem is we've jumped out " on fire" in a few games then ran out of gas and ran out of players via fouls. Haven't gone back to review, but I know there were some specific instances where this happened, however in recent games the fouling and the endurance have improved.

Don't remember that he did, but I wasn't able to watch the Arizona game.
I think Eze started that game in place of Efe at Arizona; I don't think they have been on the court at the same time this season. At this point, I wouldn't mind Terry trying a line-up that includes Gilyard, Lathon, Hawkins, Efe, and Ezeagu. Efe has been better in playing without fouling as much, and Eze may help some on defense and rebounding. A lot depends on the lineup on the court for the opposing team. Maybe Thomas can provide some type of spark off of the bench.

Reactions: MinerManiac

There’s the fast start with early lead.

Gilyard, thank God is having an amazing 1st half, but Hawkins, Lathon and Odigie better step up big and quick if we expect to win this thing.

Reactions: Lil_Train
Eze sure does have a short leash— although that’s probably more about efe being that good

The Miners are a great first-half team. They got nothing from the bench tonight, though, which illustrates our lack of depth and explains our second-half collapses. The fact that UTEP has played so well in the first half this season also points to good coaching; it's clear the coaches are on point with their scouting reports.

But I'm really optimistic about this team. We have three freshmen starting and our leading scorer is a sophomore. Man, these kids have some talent. With a year under their belts and some depth from Terry's next recruiting class, I'm already excited for next year, and that's keeping me excited for this year. I think, even this year, the Miners are going to pull off a couple of upsets. We've had several close calls already...

Reactions: USAFminersfan
That's something to improve on and is something he can be coached up on. But the man is averaging a double-double as a freshman. I really like his upside.
We can't beat anyone if all of our weapons aren't firing and once again we just ran out of gas. Had a nice 1st half thanks to Evan. Hawkins finally found it but Lathon didn't pack everything in his duffle and Efe can only jump 2" off the floor. Huge handicap we provide to our opponents. The season won't be long enough for these kids to learn what it takes to win consistently. Painful to watch the same old script game after game. I'll keep watching and praying tho and won't give up.

CRT saying were just not getting production from the 4 spot(Thomas). CRT we need a guy who can score(at the 4).

Tough second half for sure. I don't think fatigue was really a factor. Not being able to score a bucket for the first eight minutes of the second half did us in again. Long scoring droughts have been a consistent issue the entire season. Also, rebounding, as expected, was a huge problem against an athletic team like UAB. Again, beating a dead horse, but Thomas was a complete non factor despite his extended minutes. Efe struggled to finish versus the UAB length and athleticism; it will be nice next year to some guys that can finish above the rim. Good to see Hawkins step up and make some shots, however, he had his hands full defending the UAB freshman, Lovan. Hoping the team can manage a road win this year, but I think it will be a real challenge.

Reactions: MinerManiac
CRT saying were just not getting production from the 4 spot(Thomas). CRT we need a guy who can score(at the 4).
He's on the bench. CRT could not have imagined the lack of offensive production at the 4 this year. It's just inexplicable. Terry has said that he won't play Efe at the 4 because of defense. He could do it with a zone defense, but I don't think we've played zone all year? At this point we just have to wait for next season when we have an all-conference player at the 4. It will help everybody's game.

I'm thinking more and more that Eze will redshirt next season.

He's on the bench. CRT could not have imagined the lack of offensive production at the 4 this year. It's just inexplicable. Terry has said that he won't play Efe at the 4 because of defense. He could do it with a zone defense, but I don't think we've played zone all year? At this point we just have to wait for next season when we have an all-conference player at the 4. It will help everybody's game.

We played some zone defense against UAB, looked like a 2-1-2 in the first half, fwiw.

Reactions: axingfools1

Eze should redshirt next year with the low post players coming in. The "4" is a lost cause.

Honest question....? WTF happened to Paul Thomas? Not sure I've ever seen a highly touted recruit regress so much as he got more experience

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
I was thinking the same about Thomas. He always drove me crazy with stupid fouls but he was always good for 8-10 points and 6-8 rebounds. Now nothing!
Yup. Sometimes you can blame the (head) coach for not getting the right player(s) to compliment a big man but Thomas does not have that excuse. He had Dominic Artis and currently has Gilyard.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT