ADVERTISEMENT

ULM insider

What were the expectations for 2020 before COVID and after the readjusted schedule? What are they now after two games?

Reactions: axingfools1
Ton of question marks, not only with the graduation of Caleb Evans at QB, but the new offensive line. Last season' OL had the most starts in all of NCAA, so they knew one another and were a solid unit - this year, the combined starts among the 5 starters......7.

Josh Johnson was one of the nation's top running backs last year, but I think between the secret being out of the bag about him, and the OL woes, he's struggled to get it going this year.

New QB Colby Suits has looked good, but again OL woes has him forcing the ball in a lot and not able to make full progression reads.....see the common element here.

The defense has looked good....then looks horrible all in the same 3-5 minute span. On one play, they are dominating every aspect of the game, the very next play, they get burned for a big play. It didn't help that DC Mike Collins resigned just 10 days before the start of the season, leaving the defense in flux on how it would look and react.

Expectations, I think this was a big question mark year with so many new faces on the field, but didn't think a loss to Texas State was in the cards. Typically that's been an easier W for the Warhawks and most of the Sun Belt.

Post COVID, the expectations are just to finish the season healthy; both injury and sickness. This was really a shift in focus after the team saw camp shut down for 10 days headed into the opener with Troy, which was actually rescheduled. This should be a simi-gimme year to get bowl eligible with a lot of teams opting out of the season, but so far a second bowl game looks to be still a dream for ULM.

Ton of question marks, not only with the graduation of Caleb Evans at QB, but the new offensive line. Last season' OL had the most starts in all of NCAA, so they knew one another and were a solid unit - this year, the combined starts among the 5 starters......7.

Josh Johnson was one of the nation's top running backs last year, but I think between the secret being out of the bag about him, and the OL woes, he's struggled to get it going this year.

New QB Colby Suits has looked good, but again OL woes has him forcing the ball in a lot and not able to make full progression reads.....see the common element here.

The defense has looked good....then looks horrible all in the same 3-5 minute span. On one play, they are dominating every aspect of the game, the very next play, they get burned for a big play. It didn't help that DC Mike Collins resigned just 10 days before the start of the season, leaving the defense in flux on how it would look and react.

Expectations, I think this was a big question mark year with so many new faces on the field, but didn't think a loss to Texas State was in the cards. Typically that's been an easier W for the Warhawks and most of the Sun Belt.

Post COVID, the expectations are just to finish the season healthy; both injury and sickness. This was really a shift in focus after the team saw camp shut down for 10 days headed into the opener with Troy, which was actually rescheduled. This should be a simi-gimme year to get bowl eligible with a lot of teams opting out of the season, but so far a second bowl game looks to be still a dream for ULM.
Mike Collins Stepping down had to hurt something awful.

UTEP is nothing like the teams of '19 and '18; however, I am not expecting a win by UTEP. Our qb play is much, much, much better and our young rb's look solid. O line give solid pass protection, rush blocking needs improvement. D line can't get sacks still but putting up union labor stops on rushing.

Having watched 2 UTEP games this year (to prep for this week), I'll say that UTEP has potential, they are just in a place that ULM was in a few years ago....they just don't know how to win. Ironically the only fix for this is to win, which I think the FCS games help with that, but the Miners just have to keep grinding and finding a way to be in a position to win; it'll come, just no one knows when

Reactions: minermx07
Having watched 2 UTEP games this year (to prep for this week), I'll say that UTEP has potential, they are just in a place that ULM was in a few years ago....they just don't know how to win. Ironically the only fix for this is to win, which I think the FCS games help with that, but the Miners just have to keep grinding and finding a way to be in a position to win; it'll come, just no one knows when
Your words are kind.

ULM fans visiting on here have been downright nice and pleasant to talk game prep. I hope UTEP AD Senter can work out some more Home and Home.
Not to mention one of their fans broke the news on here about this game weeks before it was announced.

Reactions: FarWestTexas
We are central time zone. Most ULM fans think our team has potential, but really needed the spring and fall camp to put it all together, but due to Covid that didn’t happen. We definitely don’t think this is a sure win and we think UTEP is improved, but, no disrespect intended, we think if we don’t win this weekend or squeak out a win, we may not win a game this year. We have a relatively tough schedule and the Sunbelt has drastically improved top to bottom. We would love to have future home and homes with UTEP in the future. Hopefully that will happen.

We are central time zone.
So-Youre-Telling-Me-Theres-a-Chance-In-Dumb-and-Dumber-Gif.gif

We are central time zone. Most ULM fans think our team has potential, but really needed the spring and fall camp to put it all together, but due to Covid that didn’t happen. We definitely don’t think this is a sure win and we think UTEP is improved, but, no disrespect intended, we think if we don’t win this weekend or squeak out a win, we may not win a game this year. We have a relatively tough schedule and the Sunbelt has drastically improved top to bottom. You and ev Hopefully that will happen.
We are central time zone. Most ULM fans think our team has potential, but really needed the spring and fall camp to put it all together, but due to Covid that didn’t happen. We definitely don’t think this is a sure win and we think UTEP is improved, but, no disrespect intended, we think if we don’t win this weekend or squeak out a win, we may not win a game this year. We have a relatively tough schedule and the Sunbelt has drastically improved top to bottom. We would love to have future home and homes with UTEP in the future. Hopefully that will happen.

You and everybody else looking to pad their schedule.

Improvement is an understatement. Other than Marshall, its been helter skelter for CUSA. FIU and FAU made serious moves but nothing consistent. WKU must be Gemini because they are beasts one weekend then look like Rice and UTEP the next. La Tech beats the P5 teams in bowl games but can't win the conference. But yes, Sun Belt has really improved up and down the conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT