ADVERTISEMENT

UNM Prediction Thread, Important Game!!!

nattybry

MI Miner Maniac
Jul 7, 2003
Arguably the most important game of the year. Win and there's still hope of a bowl, lose and we struggle to get 4 wins this year. I'm predicting a loss now and hoping it goes the opposite
UNM 23
UTEP 17

UTEP needs to build a big lead in the first half and hold on (just like they did against NMSU).

Dimel always seems to get outcoached in the 2nd half, and it seems to be worse this season than ever before. He either doesn't know how to make adjustments or he's too stubborn to (the system is great, the players just need to execute). I don't know what the deal is, but it keeps happening.

So, if UTEP takes a 14-point lead into the half, they'll hold on. Otherwise, UNM will take it in the 2nd half.

Arguably the most important game of the year. Win and there's still hope of a bowl, lose and we struggle to get 4 wins this year. I'm predicting a loss now and hoping it goes the opposite
UNM 23
UTEP 17
Who cares about being bowl eligible. A 6 win team is not a good team. UTEP needs a coach that can recruit 3 star and 4 star players. These (Utep was the only offer I got players) arent cutting it.

• Haha
Reactions: techsloth
Who cares about being bowl eligible. A 6 win team is not a good team. UTEP needs a coach that can recruit 3 star and 4 star players. These (Utep was the only offer I got players) arent cutting it.
Was Jacob Cowing a 3 or 4 star player? (No, he wasnt)

We need better coaching and talent development. Most of the players from the successful Mike Price teams in 03-04-05 were not highly touted (Thomas Howard, Johnny Lee Higgins, Jordan Palmer, Howard Jackson). El Paso isn't the place to attract highly touted recruits, unless they have baggage.

Was Jacob Cowing a 3 or 4 star player? (No, he wasnt)

We need better coaching and talent development. Most of the players from the successful Mike Price teams in 03-04-05 were not highly touted (Thomas Howard, Johnny Lee Higgins, Jordan Palmer, Howard Jackson). El Paso isn't the place to attract highly touted recruits, unless they have baggage.
Yeah but UTEP still didn't win. Wow you get 1 good player out of 30?? Whens last time Utep won a bowl game?? I'm tired of people saying star ratings dont matter. Yes they do . Only fans of teams that get 0 star players say that. Imagine if Texas got a bunch of 0 star players?? Would that coach still be around??

Reactions: axingfools1
stay calm Miner fans... It all depends on which Miner shows up.. if the coaches can get them jacked-up we win by 14. otherwise we lose by 14..
I see a run game by both teams and the Miners will not be in lead at half time. look for the offensive to finally find a run game in the 4th quarter to win by 14.
I like Miners 24
those guys 10..
now Miners, shake hands and come fighting..
from Hollywood ...... this game means a lot... let show our love and pray to all the gods for a "V"

Reactions: nattybry
UTEP 21
UNM 17

Low scoring game between two struggling teams. Hope the Miners find a way to win.

Yeah but UTEP still didn't win. Wow you get 1 good player out of 30?? Whens last time Utep won a bowl game?? I'm tired of people saying star ratings dont matter. Yes they do . Only fans of teams that get 0 star players say that. Imagine if Texas got a bunch of 0 star players?? Would that coach still be around??
Well you have to win to get those types of players, dude.

UTEP's experience is a hidden strength IMO, and really the only strength right now. If UTEP can control the ground game and line of scrimmage I think they can win by two scores, but Dimel always gets in the way and again we kick FG's for most of the evening. Should be a close game.

UTEP Mineros De Chuco Town 23
Albuttcrackee Meth Lobos 21

Dimel always seems to get outcoached in the 2nd half, and it seems to be worse this season than ever before.
d323ab26-fc6b-418b-91b9-72d1190f5224_text.gif

UNM 17
UTEP 9

Reactions: Lil_Train
Really wanna go with my heart and pick the Miners. Common sense says otherwise.

Well you have to win to get those types of players, dude.
Fine but people need to stop saying stars dont matter. When UTEP is going after players that nobody wants, that's a problem. The Basketball team has no problem with bringing in good players.

The O/U is 38 vs. ABQ.

UTEP showed struggle with QB contain against NMSU (listened in the car didn’t see the game) and saw UNM has a QB who can move around well. Thinking of hitting this either way but heavily leaning under, thoughts from the board? I see it easily in the 20’s, both teams will give up at least one or two big plays due to holes in the defense’s but We all know it’s capable and are waiting for the UTEP D to arrive, pero will they?

I’m torn, but the 38 interests me. Thoughts?

The O/U is 38 vs. ABQ.

UTEP showed struggle with QB contain against NMSU (listened in the car didn’t see the game) and saw UNM has a QB who can move around well. Thinking of hitting this either way but heavily leaning under, thoughts from the board? I see it easily in the 20’s, both teams will give up at least one or two big plays due to holes in the defense’s but We all know it’s capable and are waiting for the UTEP D to arrive, pero will they?

I would take the under. Both offenses suck and are allergic to the end zone.

The O/U is 38 vs. ABQ.

Personally I wouldn't touch the o/u or this game in general. 38 seems too low. However, both qbs struggle with accuracy. UNM's qb was 8-27 against Boise State. He was 11-14 against Maine but had two ints. I don't think we 'll be able to run on UNM. Last year UNM dropped 2 walk in pick 6's that would've changed the game. I can see multiple defensive scores in the game. I think UTEP wins 24-21. That would be the over but I have no confidence in this one. To me this game is a pick em, and there are much better bets on Saturday's slate than this one. That's just my opinion though.

Only thing I can agree on is that both teams will come into this game fired up to make a statement for very obvious reasons. Low scoring pillow fight that ESPN Bottom 10 will have fun with.

All I will be willing to bet on is Flores will be ready to ball. He’s a man on a mission showing up all 3 games, consistently.

Reactions: PickMyAxe915
UTEP and UNM tend to play low scoring games, against each other... UTEP 6-UNM-13. UNM is probably better than NMSU, and it's a home game... I think the Lobos win it in the 2nd half...

Reactions: utep-piggy
Last year we played a handicapped UNM team that was riddled with covid. We needed a comeback to scrape by them.

This year they'll have their starting receivers and tight end back. I expect them to move the ball a lot more than the previous meeting. On our side I expect our lackadaisical offense to do more of nothing.

UTEP 14
UNM 21

Last year we played a handicapped UNM team that was riddled with covid. We needed a comeback to scrape by them.

This year they'll have their starting receivers and tight end back. I expect them to move the ball a lot more than the previous meeting. On our side I expect our lackadaisical offense to do more of nothing.

UTEP 14
UNM 21
They returned 3 WRs. Luke Wysong and Jace Taylor both played in the UTEP game last year and combined for 4 receptions. Andrew Erickson did not play in the UTEP game. He's back and has 0 receptions so far this season.

Predicting the Lobos or Miners to score over 20 points in this game is crazy. Both have solid defense but little offense. If you like scoring or big plays this is going to be very painful to watch. First team to kick a FG wins.

UTEP 14
UNM 21
Well it was the thought that counted, but I feel the same way 🤣

Dimel isn’t going to be fired if they lose to UNM. Ridiculous.

The same people that supported Floyd for years and years are now demanding Dimel to be fired. LMAO.
Can't be referring to me. I was pissed at Floyd for years.

He may not be fired after losing, but he SHOULD be. Hell, he should be now....

Reactions: shyminer81
Dimel isn’t going to be fired in season. It’s not happening. The UNM and Charlotte games are very winnable. If they start 1-5, then maybe you can start to think about it. This is UTEP football and Jim Senter, not SMU
Not really sure why anyone thinks Senter won't fire him. What previously shows that he won't?

27-13....UNM over UTEP if Miners/Dimel play true to form: TOs in in red zone, key penalties, special teams letdown, and predictable play calling -esp start of 2nd half - spell doom. Season turns on this game.
I hope I'm pessimistically wrong.

Reactions: utep-piggy
I know I will take heat for this, but during that last NMSU drive I found myself wanting them to score in the hopes that Wilson would have to step in. It wasn't to be, but a 31 to 13 loss to UNM may change that. I can't say it enough though: We are NOT going to win under Dimel.
Yea I wouldn't have been terribly upset if they had concluded the comeback. Not cause I want to see UTEP lose but sometimes you gotta sacrifice a pawn to get a bishop.

Kevin Baker has had 3 out of 5 winning seasons. It's really hard to win in chick hoops.

Terry, eh....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT