Would you go (El Pasoans)

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Heeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll No

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
The XFL is supposed to return for 2022, too. Is there room enough for both leagues?

I wonder which will be considered superior? The original USFL attracted some really good players.

If El Paso had a team, and I still lived in El Paso, I would attend.

Last edited:
The XFL is supposed to return for 2022, too. Is there room enough for both leagues?

I wonder which will be considered superior? The original USFL attracted some really good players.

If El Paso had a team, and I still lived in El Paso, I would attend.
Hey, if the XFL can fail twice, so can the USFL. Or at least until the XFL fails a third time, which will be a year from now. 😛

Last edited:
XFL is merging with the CFL and 2022 may or may not happen as planned. I think this USFL and new XFL will fail and they might take down the CFL with them this time.

Businessmen love throwing their money away starting football leagues. I can’t see either The XFL or USFL succeeding because Americans obviously have the mindset if it’s not The NFL it’s trash.

It probably won't work like most do not. However why do we think El Paso would even be a choice? Though it'd be nice to be considered, I just don't see El Paso even being on their minds as a choice unless y'all know something I don't!?

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
With a 17 game season and expanded practice squads, surprised we do not have an affiliated NFL Fall Football League.

If you have a Team like The Tucson Cardinals, they would run the exact same Offense and Defense as Arizona and then guys could rehab and rookies, UDFA's can learn the playbooks and be inserted directly into the NFL team and it would actually make the NFL game better.

Also, you get a 5th or 6th rounder who struggles, he can get his game back without being released.

Businessmen love throwing their money away starting football leagues. I can’t see either The XFL or USFL succeeding because Americans obviously have the mindset if it’s not The NFL it’s trash.
The XFL stopped the 2nd time because of the Kung Flu. So did the NCAA Tournament. So did lots of things.

With a 17 game season and expanded practice squads, surprised we do not have an affiliated NFL Fall Football League.

If you have a Team like The Tucson Cardinals, they would run the exact same Offense and Defense as Arizona and then guys could rehab and rookies, UDFA's can learn the playbooks and be inserted directly into the NFL team and it would actually make the NFL game better.

Also, you get a 5th or 6th rounder who struggles, he can get his game back without being released.
That would be the way to run it. In a perfect world they would set up a Minor League system. A continuity in offense and the opportunity to see your team’s up and comers would be a bigger incentive to watch a new league as opposed to a bunch of wash outs and never has beens.

That would be the way to run it. In a perfect world they would set up a Minor League system. A continuity in offense and the opportunity to see your team’s up and comers would be a bigger incentive to watch a new league as opposed to a bunch of wash outs and never has beens.
How do you make money with it? Can’t play the games on Saturday, Thursday, or Mondays. Fridays have high school football. Leaves Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Who is going to go to a 4 hour Tuesday night game 8 times a year?

How do you make money with it? Can’t play the games on Saturday, Thursday, or Mondays. Fridays have high school football. Leaves Tuesdays or Wednesdays. Who is going to go to a 4 hour Tuesday night game 8 times a year?

If it was the NFL who ran the league the money doesn't matter. But we know that the other leagues are doomed to fail because Spring Football has a 100% failure rate.

And Tuesday would actually be an ideal night for games. Let's say you have that 3rd QB on the active roster but inactive Sunday or Monday night. He can play Tuesday. It would be like the 4th Quarter of a Preseason game. And that would have more fan interest than a USFL game.

Remember, NFL Spring Rosters are 90 players. The NFLPA does not allow any of those 90 to play in a Spring League. Thats why Spring Rosters are filled with guys who aren't even in the top 3000. That's why these Spring Leagues are nobody's

If it was the NFL who ran the league the money doesn't matter. But we know that the other leagues are doomed to fail because Spring Football has a 100% failure rate.

And Tuesday would actually be an ideal night for games. Let's say you have that 3rd QB on the active roster but inactive Sunday or Monday night. He can play Tuesday. It would be like the 4th Quarter of a Preseason game. And that would have more fan interest than a USFL game.

Remember, NFL Spring Rosters are 90 players. The NFLPA does not allow any of those 90 to play in a Spring League. Thats why Spring Rosters are filled with guys who aren't even in the top 3000. That's why these Spring Leagues are nobody's
Of course it matters. They’re not going to pour money into it forever.

I think the USFL would have remained relevant had they not tried to take on the NFL, remained in the spring, and cut back on some salaries.

The problem these newer spring leagues had is they put teams in big cities. The XFL had a team in “New York” playing at Giants Stadium. Why the **** would anyone do that? The Alliance had a team in San Antonio that did “very well” attendance wise. You need to put the teams in smaller markets, but your TV deal will suffer.

Of course it matters. They’re not going to pour money into it forever.

I think the USFL would have remained relevant had they not tried to take on the NFL, remained in the spring, and cut back on some salaries.

The problem these newer spring leagues had is they put teams in big cities. The XFL had a team in “New York” playing at Giants Stadium. Why the **** would anyone do that? The Alliance had a team in San Antonio that did “very well” attendance wise. You need to put the teams in smaller markets, but your TV deal will suffer.

Good points. But like Minor League Baseball, the G League, MLS is starting another Soccer Development League....I think the NFL could sustain because it had potential to make the NFL better and keep players healthier. Also could expand their brand if you put the Cowboys II in El Paso or whatever. It will never happen but I think it would be a better league than USFL or XFL simply because of the fact that the NFLPA hamstrings any start ups.

Why would the NFL go along with any of that, when they already have it for free in the NCAA? Sure, every team gambles each year with their draft picks, but since they monetized the draft with at nauseum coverage, the teams still make money there. There is zero incentive to invest and develop a minor league system when they already have a free alternative.

Why would the NFL go along with any of that, when they already have it for free in the NCAA? Sure, every team gambles each year with their draft picks, but since they monetized the draft with at nauseum coverage, the teams still make money there. There is zero incentive to invest and develop a minor league system when they already have a free alternative.
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! 👍

You're right, thats why I said it will never happen. But its the only way another league would be successful. You can't have a Spring League or even 2 Spring Leagues if the NFLPA is going to tie up majority of the available players.

My point being, there will never be a successful Spring League, ever. And the only way that a another league can survive is if it is tied to the NFL. Which like you said, NFL has no incentive to do.

According to Wikipedia, NFL Europe averaged 20,000 fans per game and still lost 30 million a year.

XFL is merging with the CFL and 2022 may or may not happen as planned. I think this USFL and new XFL will fail and they might take down the CFL with them this time.
I don't think we know yet what sort of relationship the XFL and CFL will have. All we know is that they're talking, but I don't think they've announced anything beyond that for now.

I don't think the CFL will change their rules to accommodate the WWE Football League. They might share management and operating costs and they might meet in a championship game with hybrid rules (maybe Canadian one half, XFL the other) but I can't see a merger of the two leagues under one set of rules. Canadian football has their own history that stretches back as far as our own brand of football, and Canadians in general are proud of their heritage and history. I don't think the XFL is going to embrace Canadian rules, because they're quite foreign to most Americans and require a different-sized field.

Reactions: Rocketsr
I don't think we know yet what sort of relationship the XFL and CFL will have. All we know is that they're talking, but I don't think they've announced anything beyond that for now.

I don't think the CFL will change their rules to accommodate the WWE Football League. They might share management and operating costs and they might meet in a championship game with hybrid rules (maybe Canadian one half, XFL the other) but I can't see a merger of the two leagues under one set of rules. Canadian football has their own history that stretches back as far as our own brand of football, and Canadians in general are proud of their heritage and history. I don't think the XFL is going to embrace Canadian rules, because they're quite foreign to most Americans and require a different-sized field.
The XFL is not a “WWE football league” though. The WWE sold it during the pandemic last year. I’m sure rules are a sticking point in the merger and maybe we will only see a “Super Bowl” game between the 2 league champs.

Good points. But like Minor League Baseball, the G League, MLS is starting another Soccer Development League....I think the NFL could sustain because it had potential to make the NFL better and keep players healthier. Also could expand their brand if you put the Cowboys II in El Paso or whatever. It will never happen but I think it would be a better league than USFL or XFL simply because of the fact that the NFLPA hamstrings any start ups.
NFL and pro football is a different animal though. Those leagues you mentioned have many guys under 21 in them. That’s 3 more years they can develop those players than the NFL can.

NFL doesn’t have guaranteed contracts either. What if Green Bay sent Jordan Love to the Bismarck Tigers, he gets injured in this development league, and his career is done. Your first round pick is done in a league that nobody really cares about. Football careers are shorter than the other sports you mentioned.

Reactions: kickballpro
The XFL is not a “WWE football league” though. The WWE sold it during the pandemic last year. I’m sure rules are a sticking point in the merger and maybe we will only see a “Super Bowl” game between the 2 league champs.
I mean, sure, Vince McMahon no longer owns it, but now The Rock does.

You're right, thats why I said it will never happen. But its the only way another league would be successful. You can't have a Spring League or even 2 Spring Leagues if the NFLPA is going to tie up majority of the available players.

My point being, there will never be a successful Spring League, ever. And the only way that a another league can survive is if it is tied to the NFL. Which like you said, NFL has no incentive to do.
I believe a spring league can be successful in the right cities. Yes, it will be full of the Kai Locksley’s and Johnny Football’s of the world, as long as they have a betting aspect to their games, they can be successful

Spring football can be successful. America loves football. We can't enough of watching it and betting on it. The XFL would have made it if not for the pandemic. You need about 8-10 strong markets.

Because he used to be a wrestler, he can’t run a legitimate football league?
I never said it wasn't legitimate. But their rules have typically tried to maximize excitement (like the 3-point conversion), and although they can be innovative, I don't think a league with the tradition of the CFL is eager to jettison their rules in pursuit of XFL bucks.

Spring football can be successful. America loves football. We can't enough of watching it and betting on it. The XFL would have made it if not for the pandemic. You need about 8-10 strong markets.
Americans love The NFL and The NCAA and some HS football, that is it. Here is a list of some of the failed football leagues in the US:

The Alliance of American Football 2009
The Arena Football League 1987 - 2008
Arenafootball2 2000–2009
Fall Experimental Football League 2014-2015
Indoor Football League 1999-2000
Indoor Professional Football League 1999-2001
Professional Indoor Football League 1998
United Football League 2009-2012
United States Football League 1983-1985
XFL 2001 and 2020

Consumers have shown there is only 1 professional league that we love and that is The NFL. The XFL, UFL and AAF were set up in some major cities and they all failed and the more I think about it it makes no sense for the NFL to set up a minor league system. Could you imagine the cost and the mess of setting up 32 minor league franchises? It’s way cheaper to expand rosters and practice squads.

Reactions: kickballpro
Americans love The NFL and The NCAA and some HS football, that is it. Here is a list of some of the failed football leagues in the US:

The Alliance of American Football 2009
The Arena Football League 1987 - 2008
Arenafootball2 2000–2009
Fall Experimental Football League 2014-2015
Indoor Football League 1999-2000
Indoor Professional Football League 1999-2001
Professional Indoor Football League 1998
United Football League 2009-2012
United States Football League 1983-1985
XFL 2001 and 2020

Consumers have shown there is only 1 professional league that we love and that is The NFL. The XFL, UFL and AAF were set up in some major cities and they all failed and the more I think about it it makes no sense for the NFL to set up a minor league system. Could you imagine the cost and the mess of setting up 32 minor league franchises? It’s way cheaper to expand rosters and practice squads.
You can’t really include Arena and Indoor leagues on that list. It’s an entirely different game.

The UFL played in the fall, that is one of the main reasons they failed. They did not play in the Spring.

Does anyone remember, probably early 2000's, when a Minor League Football Team set up shop in El Paso?

They had tryouts that lots of guys paid around $25 for. And cheerleader tryouts. They hired the Head Coach from Del Valle.

Turned out to be a scam.

Reactions: UTEPMiners8106
I’m curious, did anyone watch the XFL or AAF? And what were your thoughts on the quality of games. I caught some AAF and XFL games, and aside from that one game where the AAF QBs helmet flew off there isn’t another play that stands out and even then I don’t know the names of the players so what does that say. Regardless of what we think, if the quality of play isn’t there fans won’t watch and they’ve proven it. Any new football league better be prepared to throw A TON of money to start because the last two major leagues didn’t even finish their seasons. I get that The XFL had to deal with COVID but Vince didn’t even wait to see how things were goin to play out before he pulled the ripcord.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT