ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP’s Terry gets contract extension, Dimel doesn’t

Officially done with Jim Senter.

get his ass out of there.

terry doesn’t even have a winning record against DI teams, let’s extend him because he took a pay cut! Idiot..

The only reason I can imagine is he’s got a big time recruit(s) teed up?

I certainly don’t think that either guy deserves an extension at this moment. But I’m being an optimist and I feel like Dimel has recruited better and he was one game away from bow eligibility during a pandemic. What has Terry done aside from crash out as the season progressed?

The only reason I can imagine is he’s got a big time recruit(s) teed up?
When was the last time Terry signed a big time recruit who wasn’t a transfer or not inconsistent?

If he had croots lined up, we’d be talking about them here. Senter should be pissed on how he is recruiting now.

Senter is just an idiot.

I certainly don’t think that either guy deserves an extension at this moment. But I’m being an optimist and I feel like Dimel has recruited better and he was one game away from bow eligibility during a pandemic. What has Terry done aside from crash out as the season progressed?

You can make an argument for bringing Dimel back for this upcoming 4th season, it’s a weak one, but it’s there. No ****ing way in hell can you make an argument for Terry coming back next year, let alone a ****ing extension.

I don’t live in El Paso please someone tell me what Senter says about why terry got the extra year ... said it would be on news tonight — very curious

Reactions: kickballpro
I don’t live in El Paso please someone tell me what Senter says about why terry got the extra year ... said it would be on news tonight — very curious

you can also listen to sports talk at 530 with Erik Elkin and will probably get a more honest POV than whatever Senter says

Reactions: JCorona
Good grief. What a friggin disgraceful decision. Just when you think you have hit rock bottom with UTEP athletics you receive news like this. I think the only thing that may get their attention is a fan revolt or boycott. I can’t fathom THREE more years of Terrible Terry.

FIRE SENTER
FIRE TERRY
FIRE DIMEL

Last edited:
Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
I’m not understanding. He took a 200k cut but will get an extra year at 725k. Isn’t that the opposite of saving money?

For all the shit we talk about Dimel, he probably took his paycut like a man. Terry probably conned his way to a better deal.

hopefully it’s the next ADs problem to take care of. Terrible decision, but that’s what Senter does.

For all the shit we talk about Dimel, he probably took his paycut like a man. Terry probably conned his way to a better deal.

hopefully it’s the next ADs problem to take care of. Terrible decision, but that’s what Senter does.
Yeap Dimel took the 10% expected pay cut that other programs gave their HC’s.

Looks like 3 more years of chasing a cusa tournament bid.

Expect UTEPs president to also announce that Senter has been given an extension for his hard work and dedication to excellence in athletics.

Nothing would surprise me from these clowns. Nothing. I have come to the conclusion that the sole purpose of UTEP athletics is to collect a pay check for as long as you can regardless of results.

UTEP athletics is utterly mediocre.

If you guys notice, Terry’s contract was signed on 12/10. That was before he beat Arizona St and 2 days after St Mary’s. So Senter saw the St Mary’s performance and still decided to give him an extension! Unbelievable

Remember my recent post entitled "APATHY "? Help me out here; what's the level called that is worse than APATHY?

Reactions: picks up
I dont get it. Our basketball 'program' is basically to get 7 player rotation and see if they can out-talent the opponent.

I question if they even watch film or practice any kind of system offensively or defensively.

Reactions: Roy_Bigwood_05
Sounds like most of you don't really understand how this works. Schools have to announce extensions so that recruits are given confidence their coach will be there. The only thing that matters from a financial standpoint is what the buyout is. This additional year may not be guaranteed but they can still announce the extension for recruiting.

Sounds like most of you don't really understand how this works. Schools have to announce extensions so that recruits are given confidence their coach will be there. The only thing that matters from a financial standpoint is what the buyout is. This additional year may not be guaranteed but they can still announce the extension for recruiting.

I think we get that.

The problem is, why **** over Football when its already years behind?

Why give basketball the vote of confidence when that program has everything and is awful?

Yeah, we’re aware. You’re referring to the same recruits that leave after 1 year to go play somewhere else right? I guess UTEP’s starting lineup all transferred because their previous coaches didn’t get undeserved contract extensions? Is that what you’re trying to say?

Everybody knows my feelings about Senter. I've wanted him fired since the day he hired Dimel. However, this is not the worst thing. Football was always going to come to a head first. Most likely this will have addressed next year.

This gives you an extra year to see the finances and put a budget together for a new basketball coach.

However, none of this works if Senter is still the AD. I have no faith in his ability to hire coaches and fix either of these sports.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I dont see anything about a buy-out referring the original contract or the extension. Maybe I am missing it?

Everybody knows my feelings about Senter. I've wanted him fired since the day he hired Dimel. However, this is not the worst thing. Football was always going to come to a head first. Most likely this will have addressed next year.

This gives you an extra year to see the finances and put a budget together for a new basketball coach.

However, none of this works if Senter is still the AD. I have no faith in his ability to hire coaches and fix either of these sports.

It actually is the worst thing. You gave an extension to an undeserving coach. You’re now on the hook for more money than you were previously. Whether Terry gets paid in full or accepts a buyout, he has another year of $700,000 salary to negotiate with.

This is a totally stupid thing to do. Unless Terry goes on some unbelievable run this season and next. Even then, he would leave the second he got a better job.

Calling all good citizens of El Paso and alumni and fans of UTEP athletics. There is an URGENT need for funds to fire Jim Senter, Dana Dimel, and Rodney Terry. No amount is too little! All donations are being accepted. Please contact the office of President Heather Wilson to make your donation TODAY! Oh, and you MUST insist of the immediate dismissal of the 3 idiots in charge of our major sports!

Reactions: NoNCAAWinsSince1992
It actually is the worst thing. You gave an extension to an undeserving coach. You’re now on the hook for more money than you were previously. Whether Terry gets paid in full or accepts a buyout, he has another year of $700,000 salary to negotiate with.

This is a totally stupid thing to do. Unless Terry goes on some unbelievable run this season and next. Even then, he would leave the second he got a better job.

It's really not. Does he deserve an extension? No. This is really a maneuver to free up money. A good example NFL free agency. When a team has a cap issues they renegotiate a star players contract usually adding a year to their contract with guaranteed money. This gives the team flexibility to address pressing needs. This is what we have here. You know next year you're probably going to need a new football staff. You know you're going to have to pay Dimel his final year and smaller buyouts to the coordinators. In addition to to this you will have a new coach I'm sure at an increased salary to pay. In the fall of 2022 UTEP is probably paying salaries for Dimel the new head coach and staff and a few buy outs at a cost of 2.7 to 3.2 million dollars. What you don't want to have happen is to have to pay for a new hoops coach and Terry at the same time. In essence they've kicked that down the road to free up more money. Football had to be the first priority in this shit show. Senter is an absolute idiot for structuring the contracts the way he did. Today was just putting us in the best position going forward to clean up this mess. I will reiterate however, I have no faith things will get better if Senter is making the new hires.

Reactions: axingfools1
It's really not. Does he deserve an extension? No. This is really a maneuver to free up money. A good example NFL free agency. When a team has a cap issues they renegotiate a star players contract usually adding a year to their contract with guaranteed money. This gives the team flexibility to address pressing needs. This is what we have here. You know next year you're probably going to need a new football staff. You know you're going to have to pay Dimel his final year and smaller buyouts to the coordinators. In addition to to this you will have a new coach I'm sure at an increased salary to pay. In the fall of 2022 UTEP is probably paying salaries for Dimel the new head coach and staff and a few buy outs at a cost of 2.7 to 3.2 million dollars. What you don't want to have happen is to have to pay for a new hoops coach and Terry at the same time. In essence they've kicked that down the road to free up more money. Football had to be the first priority in this shit show. Senter is an absolute idiot for structuring the contracts the way he did. Today was just putting us in the best position going forward to clean up this mess. I will reiterate however, I have no faith things will get better if Senter is making the new hires.

No, it doesn’t. Terry is only reducing his salary for this season. Whatever salary reduction he took, in no way comes close to making up for lost revenue from home football and basketball games. I would guess the $200,000 they “saved” from this, only pays for a few ancillary employees and makes the “bottom line” look a little better. And it’s only for this season!

Terry and Dimel’s contracts are GUARANTEED. They’re not Casa Ford salesman or KMart managers you can fire on the spot.

No, it doesn’t. Terry is only reducing his salary for this season. Whatever salary reduction he took, in no way comes close to making up for lost revenue from home football and basketball games. I would guess the $200,000 they “saved” from this, only pays for a few ancillary employees and makes the “bottom line” look a little better. And it’s only for this season!

Terry and Dimel’s contracts are GUARANTEED. They’re not Casa Ford salesman or KMart managers you can fire on the spot.
Life's focus is on football. "Football had to be the first priority in this shit show.". Football is always first in D1 athletics, well maybe other than Duke, because football pays for women's sports and other budget items. That is what MFL was referring too and the "Dimel is on the hot seat" comments is clearly now true. The "ancillary employees" got furloughed and those who remained took a cut, but hey, screw looking up info, right? [https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...aces-furloughs-unfilled-positions/3511196001/]

So your "no way comes close to making up for lost revenue from home football and basketball games" is bullshat at worst or misleading at best because you don't know nor does MFL nor anyone else on this site.

I still don't see how extending Terry does anything for the bottom line unless its true that there is no buyout required for that extra year. Without the extension, Terry could definitely been let go at the end of 2023 at no cost to UTEP. This just doesn't make sense.

And as far as Dimel not getting an extension, well of course not. He doesn't deserve one and neither did Terry.

I would like to see Senter's contract to see how long we have to put up with him. And why didn't the new president just laugh and say no when he told her about this.

I know this is not April fools day but this has to be a joke.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT