ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP’s Terry gets contract extension, Dimel doesn’t

I still don't see how extending Terry does anything for the bottom line unless its true that there is no buyout required for that extra year. Without the extension, Terry could definitely been let go at the end of 2023 at no cost to UTEP. This just doesn't make sense.

It keeps you from making a decision on him in 2022 when we are likely to be paying two football staffs. It doesn't save money. What it does is save your budget in 2022 by not replacing both revenue sports coaches in the same year. This is much easier, because of the contract structures to do in different years. This sets up 2022 for new football staff and 2023 for basketball. You avoid blowing out your budget in a single year.

It keeps you from making a decision on him in 2022 when we are likely to be paying two football staffs. It doesn't save money. What it does is save your budget in 2022 by not replacing both revenue sports coaches in the same year. This is much easier, because of the contract structures to do in different years. This sets up 2022 for new football staff and 2023 for basketball. You avoid blowing out your budget in a single year.
But without the extension you can still lose Terry after 2023. End of contract.

But without the extension you can still lose Terry after 2023. End of contract.
I'm figuring they fire him before the last year of his deal. They almost never let a coach go into the last year of their deal without an extension. I doubt he sees the end of his contract in 2024.

Hopefully he's already looking for the next head coach. Bob Stoops would be the first person I would call. He's only making like 350K in the XFL. He'll probably say no, but I'd have to hear from him.

Reactions: picks up
I still don't see how extending Terry does anything for the bottom line unless its true that there is no buyout required for that extra year. Without the extension, Terry could definitely been let go at the end of 2023 at no cost to UTEP. This just doesn't make sense.

And as far as Dimel not getting an extension, well of course not. He doesn't deserve one and neither did Terry.

I would like to see Senter's contract to see how long we have to put up with him. And why didn't the new president just laugh and say no when he told her about this.

I know this is not April fools day but this has to be a joke.

Senter’s contract is up in August of this year.

Life's focus is on football. "Football had to be the first priority in this shit show.". Football is always first in D1 athletics, well maybe other than Duke, because football pays for women's sports and other budget items. That is what MFL was referring too and the "Dimel is on the hot seat" comments is clearly now true. The "ancillary employees" got furloughed and those who remained took a cut, but hey, screw looking up info, right? [https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/s...aces-furloughs-unfilled-positions/3511196001/]

So your "no way comes close to making up for lost revenue from home football and basketball games" is bullshat at worst or misleading at best because you don't know nor does MFL nor anyone else on this site.

They could have furloughed most of their staff, still have to pay the ones that remained.

Yeah, I don’t know the exact number, but if UTEP is only making $200,000 of revenue, they’re in big trouble. Notice that revenue is not profit, nor did I claim as such. How much revenue do you think UTEP brings in for a football or basketball game? I would hope in pre-COVID times, UTEP was bringing in at least $200,000 in revenue for each football game.

At least you used “your” correctly this time. Give yourself a pat on the back.

Agree. Next coach may make close to 1 million or more. It should be an OC from a P5 team

Reactions: topminer
Listening to Kap right now on Sportstalk and he had an interesting angle.

This story again, does not come out of UTEP. It came from a Reporter making a records request and then discovering it.

UTEP's disconnect with the community on Full Display.

Listening to Kap right now on Sportstalk and he had an interesting angle.

This story again, does not come out of UTEP. It came from a Reporter making a records request and then discovering it.

UTEP's disconnect with the community on Full Display.

This is who they are and their usual. Wait to release news until some other source released it. Keep the fans in the dark. Nothing new from them.

Elkin and Kap basically said this was worked on during the summer and it takes months because of this and that, blah, blah, blah. While that may be true, does anyone really think Terry did a good job last season?

Senter said they went from 8 to 17 wins and gpa is up. Who did they beat last year? I guess barely making the conference tournament is an accomplishment for Senter.

They also reported that he said there were no internal issues and that was a positive....umm so half your team transfers at the end of the year, you replace an asst coach, and there are no internal issues?

Elkin and Kap basically said this was worked on during the summer and it takes months because of this and that, blah, blah, blah. While that may be true, does anyone really think Terry did a good job last season?

Senter said they went from 8 to 17 wins and gpa is up. Who did they beat last year? I guess barely making the conference tournament is an accomplishment for Senter.
We went from 8 to 17 wins by padding the schedule with the likes of NM Highlands, East Central University, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Eastern New Mexico, NC A&T. We didn’t have a “good” win after UNM, and that was in mid November. Oh yeah, we beat some of the cellar dwellers of CUSA too.

Ever tried bangin your head on the wall? Has about the same reward as life today with Senter, Dimel and Terry.

Reactions: TxRdKiller
We went from 8 to 17 wins by padding the schedule with the likes of NM Highlands, East Central University, Arkansas Pine Bluff, Eastern New Mexico, NC A&T. We didn’t have a “good” win after UNM, and that was in mid November. Oh yeah, we beat some of the cellar dwellers of CUSA too.
If you can't score at the high school dance you move on to the topless bars with your older cousin with your newspaper route money and bingo! Boobies!

A win is a win.

True! It's early, but I'm hearing a few things. Power 5 OC is on the radar.

IMO our next coach needs to be somebody that can bring an exciting offense, is a proven winner, cares about UTEP and has Texas ties.
It's CRT offense. UTEP has ballers on this team.

I really want to believe this is Senter's plan. I don't think he's capable to think of this. Had Dimel beat one more team he would have been rewarded with an extension too.

Reactions: Lil_Train
I really want to believe this is Senter's plan. I don't think he's capable to think of this. Had Dimel beat one more team he would have been rewarded with an extension too.
Yup. I really do believe Senter popped a vein over UNT loss that costed UTEP a low tier bowl game=money, hence the boot of head coordinators.

I realize there is a "WTF is he doing?!" feeling for Senter right now but Dimel's seat is hot and he has to show results this coming year. People should be largely vaccinated (God willing) and treatments now exist which are critical components for normalcy in college sports. My point is fans want to come out just to drink and party and El Pasoans will get the fifth wheel ready just to see anything and tailgate because time is the critical component here. Does UTEP have to hope for another MONSTER TRUCK SHOW to pay the bills like last few years or can Dimel deliver How? How will Dimel respond to pent up fans who are quarantined frustrated? More dismal failure from here?

Senter knows his marketing and no extension mean "I'm losing faith coach!"

This is equally concerning to me. You would think the school president signs off on any $500,000 decision. If that's the case, does she not think we have a problem in Senter/Terry?
If she thinks Senter is an issue, we will know in about 6 months when his contract runs out. I'm not holding my breath that she will make a change.

True! It's early, but I'm hearing a few things. Power 5 OC is on the radar.

IMO our next coach needs to be somebody that can bring an exciting offense, is a proven winner, cares about UTEP and has Texas ties.
Graham Harrell 👍, but we are going to have to increase the our HC pay to the million dollar range to have any chance. He was my first choice 3 years ago when the job was open and that was when we had the best chance to get him. But his stock is rapidly rising and he will get much better offers than UTEP.

Last edited:
Reactions: MinerInWisconsin
I hope not! Dude had one good season at BYU. The rest of the years the offense was trash.
His offense improved each of his 3 years at BYU and all 3 were winning seasons. He is now on to Baylor as their OC.

I only thought of him since he played for UTEP which checks Axings box of caring about UTEP. Graham Harrell would be a good choice but he does make over a million per year at USC.

I'm a firm believer in a former HC but if we went young hot assistant route then we need to keep an eye on WKU. Kittley looks like the next big thing.

I'm a firm believer in a former HC but if we went young hot assistant route then we need to keep an eye on WKU. Kittley looks like the next big thing.
I have stated here for years give the young guns D1 a shot.

I get hiring experienced coaches to rebuild if program if in disarray but young guns would relish a mid major shot.

UTEP did that for an upstart named Stull and the tree was fruitful in 86.

I

His offense improved each of his 3 years at BYU and all 3 were winning seasons. He is now on to Baylor as their OC.

I only thought of him since he played for UTEP which checks Axings box of caring about UTEP. Graham Harrell would be a good choice but he does make over a million per year at USC.

I guess we'll see how he does at Baylor, but I'll bet it's not good.

Sounds like most of you don't really understand how this works. Schools have to announce extensions so that recruits are given confidence their coach will be there. The only thing that matters from a financial standpoint is what the buyout is. This additional year may not be guaranteed but they can still announce the extension for recruiting.
If this is the case, why didn't the school announce it? It took a reporter to dig this up 2 months after the fact.

Reactions: JCorona
How could a sane man offer an extension. Our fantastic AD had to know this would come out eventually and shit would hit the fan. Where was Wilson in this decision? What the hell is going on in this administration?

Wilson's not going to get involved if she's any good at her job. Senter was hired to do a job, she should let him do it till he's terminated.

Wilson's not going to get involved if she's any good at her job. Senter was hired to do a job, she should let him do it till he's terminated.
Exactly. The only thing Wilson should be involved with is evaluating Jim Senters performance and determining whether or not he deserves an extension. She should have already come to the conclusion that Jim is incompetent and needs to be let go. He hired a terrible football and basketball coach, paid the basketball coach more than the football in a 1 bid basketball conference, and signed the terrible BB coach to an extension.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT