ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP and Texas Tech sign another home and home

MinerInWisconsin

MI Miner Maniac
Nov 28, 2001
Football home and home with TT in 2019 and 2020 per this tweet:

FBSchedules.com ‏@FBSchedules 33m33 minutes ago

Texas Tech has added future games vs. Missouri St (2018) & Montana St (2019), plus a 2019-20 home-and-home vs. UTEP, per @AJ_DonWilliams

I'm liking these home and home deals with regional P5's like TT and Arizona plus the home and home with Boise St coming up.

We complain about scheduling, one thing that we have to keep in mind is that Coach Kug
is starting to open the doors for us. A lot of teams didn't want to play us. Now that Coach Kug
is bringing respectability to our football more doors will open.

GO Miners...

Reactions: vivautep
When is that home- and- home with AZ St. in both football and MBB? Former member of Border Conference and the WAC.

When is that home- and- home with AZ St. in both football and MBB? Former member of Border Conference and the WAC.
Bad wording on my part, but I was not asking about UofA. I was wondering when is Stull going to get a H/H with AZ St. for both FB/ MBB.

It was a smart move by Price and smarter move by Kugler to keep that going. There are two ways to raise a program's non-marketed profile. One is by winning and two is by competing against higher profile opponents. And if some of those higher profile games end up in a loss on the front end, it's still a win for Utep on the back end.

How is it still a win? How was last season's 30 point loss to K-State a win?

If we played our Sister of Charity, you would say when will we play someone good. We play someone good, you complain because we might not win. Talking out of both sides of your a$$.

Reactions: UTEPy79
Wouldn't you agree the football team has different standards than the hoops team?

I have no problem with the Miners going to play K St. I do have a problem with people calling that a "win", no matter how much we got paid. That is not a win just because UTEP got 800k. Most of that 800k is to fund rifle and other carp.

UTEP should play at least 1 P5 team each year. NMSU then either the Lobos or another MWC team. Last home game should be versus lowly MAC or SBC teams. Go on the road versus them too.

Games vs Icarnate Word and Houston Baptist do nothing for the fans or the program. If you're gonna schedule FCS teams, schedule North Dakota St or another powerhouse.

Again, I would have no problem if UTEP played all 4 of their non conference games on the road vs P5 schools. Just I wouldn't say funding other sports is a win.

It sounds like we are arguing for the sake of arguing. UTEP needs the moolah so it doesn't really matter what we call it. A win, whoring, strategic scheduling, etc. We need the loot and the game.

If we have to schedule an FCS team, it should always be a home game in the first week of the season. That is the only time you can expect the home fans to be excited about such a game. Not after a road loss to a P5 school. Not even after a home victory over NMSUx. It has to be at home in week one.

We should strive to play one P5 school, NMSUx, a MWC school, and another G5 school every season in the OOC. 3-1 should be the goal.

It only makes sense to play fcs opponents if you are playing six home games. Arkansas is paying us 800,000 to play. We are then turning around and paying uiw $450,000 to come to the sun bowl. Assuming we average 30,000 a game UTEP usually takes in around $800,000 a game in gate receipts, concessions parking etc. Thats not taking into account coorporate sponsors everygame im not sure how much sponsors pay per game.. This year we are giving up a home game to get a paycheck in arkansas. However, we are turning around and paying uiw a little more than half of our check from Arkansas. So we will end up only profiting 350,000 from our money game which is less than half as much as we would have netted just scheduling a sixth home game. This schedule makes no financial sense.

I agree Minerforlife. Most Miner fans probably couldn't even tell you where UIW is located or what level they play. Stull better hope that the Miners roll NMSU or else it's going to be an empty Sun Bowl for UIW.

As a fan who will not buy everything UTEP tries to sell me, I find games like that insulting. UTEP could pay a few dollars more and get a better team and get better attendance. You mean to tell me Eastern Michigan is booked up every year? Didn't we play on the road vs ULL when Price was here? Why can't we get those teams here?

While I agree that it would be better, especially for the fans, to have 6 home games every year and no FCS opponents, the reality is that it is very common for FBS schools to have 1 FCS per year. 10 of 13 C-USA teams have an FCS opponent this year and 12 of 12 MWC teams have 1 and 10 of 12 AAC teams do as well. The thought of having 4 road games vs P5 teams every year is not only not practical for having a successful program but also against ncaa rules. An FBS team must have 5 home games each year, minimum. Next year's schedule is ideal in my opinion. Road game vs Texas and home games vs NMSU, Army and the FCS opponent, Houston Baptist. If HB could be replaced with an FBS opponent, even better, but reality is that we are often, not always, going to have an FCS opponent on the schedule, like the great majority of FBS schools.

Last edited:
How is it still a win? How was last season's 30 point loss to K-State a win?

Easy, in purely elementary terms, they use the fact they play bigger schools on their schedule. Some kids like to know that when they're being recruited. You can't promote that you're playing your non-conference games against the Little Sisters of the Poor to a recruit and expect to get anything more than a raised eyebrow. Most smaller schools use this tactic in recruiting.

Wouldn't you agree the football team has different standards than the hoops team?

I have no problem with the Miners going to play K St. I do have a problem with people calling that a "win", no matter how much we got paid....

As usual, you're consistently wrong.

I never said it was a win because it was a pay day. I'm pretty explicit in my writing.

Again, having bigger schools on your schedule is good for recruiting. Period.

Like I suggested to you before, try comprehending what's written before you try and turn into Edward R. Murrow behind the keyboard.

The only thing I disagree with is this scheduling of smaller schools stuff for non-conference games.

What do you want to do with this program? Grow it or keep it in the backyard as a garden feature? If the goal is to grow it, then raising the profile against higher level opponents helps. Certainly even more if it's a one and one series. The Texas and Army games in 2016 and Arizona in 2017(?) should have a way better than average turnout (among other recruiting benefits). And if UTEP can squeeze in a Pac 5, MWC or more Big 12 schools, then go for it. I saw another poster listed Eastern Michigan. I agree on them over UIW. But if picking higher profile schools gives some people heartburn, then keep sweeping the porch with smaller schools or schools with unfamiliar and strange names. That will ensure UTEP stays right where it is.

One FCS game is fine. It just has to be the first game of the season. It is simply not fair to the fans to expect them to care about a game against an FCS school after we have played NMSUx or a P5 school.

I have no problem with the Miners going to play K St. I do have a problem with people calling that a "win", no matter how much we got paid. That is not a win just because UTEP got 800k. Most of that 800k is to fund rifle and other carp.

UTEP should play at least 1 P5 team each year. NMSU then either the Lobos or another MWC team. Last home game should be versus lowly MAC or SBC teams. Go on the road versus them too.

Games vs Icarnate Word and Houston Baptist do nothing for the fans or the program. If you're gonna schedule FCS teams, schedule North Dakota St or another powerhouse.

Again, I would have no problem if UTEP played all 4 of their non conference games on the road vs P5 schools. Just I wouldn't say funding other sports is a win.

Actually, that is a bad idea to schedule an FCS powerhouse. NDSU has beaten it's last 4-5 FBS teams that it has played. You gain nothing nothing by beating and FCS team because you are supposed to win, and you have everything to lose by getting your ass kicked by an FCS team. If you schedule an FCS team, make sure you beat em. Just ask Iowa State who was on a huge upswing until they lost to UNI and then NDSU in successive years. Morale dropped from an all time high to an all time low in the span of two seasons and most fans, and players, will tell you that it all started with losing to an FCS team they "should" have beaten.

Easy, in purely elementary terms, they use the fact they play bigger schools on their schedule. Some kids like to know that when they're being recruited. You can't promote that you're playing your non-conference games against the Little Sisters of the Poor to a recruit and expect to get anything more than a raised eyebrow. Most smaller schools use this tactic in recruiting.

"Hey kid, how would you like to get your ass kicked by Texas 63-7? "Highlights" of you getting burned will be played on ESPN that night!"

"Yeah sounds awesome, sign me up!"

All schools at this level play P5 schools. UTEP isn't the only one playing powerhouses. Wouldn't you rather win a game than lose?

The only thing I disagree with is this scheduling of smaller schools stuff for non-conference games.

What do you want to do with this program? Grow it or keep it in the backyard as a garden feature? If the goal is to grow it, then raising the profile against higher level opponents helps. Certainly even more if it's a one and one series. The Texas and Army games in 2016 and Arizona in 2017(?) should have a way better than average turnout (among other recruiting benefits). And if UTEP can squeeze in a Pac 5, MWC or more Big 12 schools, then go for it. I saw another poster listed Eastern Michigan. I agree on them over UIW. But if picking higher profile schools gives some people heartburn, then keep sweeping the porch with smaller schools or schools with unfamiliar and strange names. That will ensure UTEP stays right where it is.

The Texas game is on the road. Army is a name, but they're not even good. They have a contract with CBSSN and haven't been to a bowl game in forever.

Check Boise and TCUs rise in college football. They did it by winning games, not by losing bodybag games. They won bowl games too. A win versus Eastern Michigan is better for UTEP than losing by 30 to K State.

UTEP should try and schedule "winnable games" from schools like Northwestern, Indiana, Vandy, UConn, and Wake Forest. You have to beat teams like that before you can take down the Texas' of the world.

UTEP couldn't even beat Texas Tech in the Sun Bowl this year and they were awful.

Boise was built by consistantly beating pac 12 schools. They dominated the pacific northwest pac 12 schools. They swept a series with Oregon including winning in autzen. They crushed wazzu, and oregon state. The only time a pac 12 school beat them was washington in jake lockers freshman year. Boise was built beating the bigboys.

TCU also scheduled up they scheduled and beat baylor, tech and in a memorable game upset oklahoma in norman. Their giant killer reputation and results got them into the big 12.

It makes sense to schedule up its how a program gets recognition. The only way to change perceptuon is to compete with and beat the best.

I love playing Arkansas and Tech its exciting and is a good measuring stick. My only complaint is scheduling a money when you only have 5 home games and one is against an fcs school who you have to pay to play. We would have made more money playing a sixth home game rather than a money game.

Reactions: Tribalwarriorx
Boise was built by consistantly beating pac 12 schools. They dominated the pacific northwest pac 12 schools. They swept a series with Oregon including winning in autzen. They crushed wazzu, and oregon state. The only time a pac 12 school beat them was washington in jake lockers freshman year. Boise was built beating the bigboys.

TCU also scheduled up they scheduled and beat baylor, tech and in a memorable game upset oklahoma in norman. Their giant killer reputation and results got them into the big 12.

It makes sense to schedule up its how a program gets recognition. The only way to change perceptuon is to compete with and beat the best.

I love playing Arkansas and Tech its exciting and is a good measuring stick. My only complaint is scheduling a money when you only have 5 home games and one is against an fcs school who you have to pay to play. We would have made more money playing a sixth home game rather than a money game.

Boise was not built beating Pac-10 schools. They didn't beat their first Pac 10 school until 2004 when they beat a 7-5 Oregon St team. By then they had already had a 13-1, 12-1, 8-4, 10-2, & 10-3 seasons in 5 consecutive years. During those years they lost all their regular season matchups vs P5 schools. (UCLA, Arkansas x2, Washington St x2, South Carolina, and Oregon St). Their only win vs a P5 school was vs Iowa St in a bowl game. Wouldn't you say those 5 seasons "built" the program? When they beat Oregon, Wazzau, and Oregon St, they were already an established, winning program.

TCU lucked out and landed a spot in the '98 Sun Bowl upsetting USC. The next year they lost to Arizona and Northwestern, still managed to get to the GMAC Bowl and won it. The next season they beat Northwestern in Fort Worth and made a bowl game. TCU beat Northwestern again in 2002 and won the Liberty Bowl vs Colorado St. In 2003 they beat a pair of 2-10 schools in Vandy and Arizona, they beat Northwestern the following season. They then beat an 8-4 OU team in 2005 and beat Iowa St in their bowl game that year.

TCU got to their level by beating their conference opponents, winning bowl games, and scheduling BCS teams that weren't that great. That's what its going to take for UTEP. So yeah I'm right, Boise and TCU did not start beating Top 25 teams right away, they started small. Again, its better for UTEP to beat EMU by 1 point than to lose to Texas by 50, no matter how much the university makes for that game.

Reactions: develman
Boise was a big west school that transistioned to the WAC in 2001. Before 2004 boise may have been winning but they were'nt on the national consciousness. Boise is now a name brand known coast to coast and they are brand name because they beat pac 12 school consistently and now have won 3 fiesta bowls. Without the big name wins they would be nevada a winning program who is largely annonymous and has no name brand or national following.

I'd say both of you are right. Boise St did build a program by consistently by beating schools of like caliber. Boise St then became nationally relevant by building on that consistency and beating some of the big boys. It was a process that didn't happen overnight, but to the casual fan (not insinuating you are), I can see how it seemed like a rise that happened overnight. It may sound cliche, but BSU adhered to the philosophy that to be the best you've gotta play, and beat, the best. They took their knocks by doing so but they also learned what it was gonna take and they stuck to the philosophy. We all know that it has paid off quite handsomely.

Last edited:
Boise was a big west school that transistioned to the WAC in 2001. Before 2004 boise may have been winning but they were'nt on the national consciousness. Boise is now a name brand known coast to coast and they are brand name because they beat pac 12 school consistently and now have won 3 fiesta bowls. Without the big name wins they would be nevada a winning program who is largely annonymous and has no name brand or national following.

Hell, before that two year stint in the Big West they were in the mighty Big Sky Conference. Talk about meteoric rise...BSU is the embodiment of it.

"Hey kid, how would you like to get your ass kicked by Texas 63-7? "Highlights" of you getting burned will be played on ESPN that night!"

All schools at this level play P5 schools. UTEP isn't the only one playing powerhouses. Wouldn't you rather win a game than lose?
Or "Hey kid, how would you like to compete against the Longhorns in front of 100k people" It goes both ways bud... I personally don't like too many body bag games, but it is needed.

We could get a lot more than 20,000 if all your accounts attended games. BTW, you never answered my question. Why do you hang around here, when, your words, most Miner fans are losers?
Who are you speaking to? I ask because I'm working on my ignore list. Thanks.

Reactions: colominer

Yup. And you only get the chance to get a big time win by competing against big time schools.

You don't market the loss, you market the team you're playing against to recruits. Even in a "loss" I can sell a kid on UTEP competing against K-St better than Incarnate World. Lol

We could get a lot more than 20,000 if all your accounts attended games. BTW, you never answered my question. Why do you hang around here, when, your words, most Miner fans are losers?

I only have 1 account so I don't know what you're talking about. I like talking sports and I love miner basketball and football. Occasionally there are some good posts and sometimes there's info I wouldn't get anywhere else.

You don't market the loss, you market the team you're playing against to recruits. Even in a "loss" I can sell a kid on UTEP competing against K-St better than Incarnate World. Lol

What is this the 1970s? I guess recruits don't have internet access and can't see UTEPs past results versus big schools. You sell a program by winning and going to bowl games, not getting your clock cleaned by Big 12 schools.

If you were a recruit and liked both schools equally, you're choosing between UTEP and UMass, would you choose UMass because they're playing at Notre Dame this year and UTEP would never play them? Or would you come to a school that has a greater chance of having a winning season and going to a bowl game?

Reactions: Epsilon00
Carlos makes a valid point. An issue many players have to be realistic about is their chances of playing professionally. Statistically, its remote. So the question is would they want to play somewhere with a shot at a winning record or somewhere they have little chance of competing against real NFL prospects? I blame coaches for allowing players these fantasies instead of leading them to a satisfying college experience. Going to and winning a couple of bowl games will do more for recruiting that explaining to recruits that they'll get to sit on the bench against Notre Dame. The goodies handed out by the bowls will last a lot longer than the injuries sustained against ND.

Reactions: STCarlosEP
Carlos makes a valid point. An issue many players have to be realistic about is their chances of playing professionally. Statistically, its remote. So the question is would they want to play somewhere with a shot at a winning record or somewhere they have little chance of competing against real NFL prospects? I blame coaches for allowing players these fantasies instead of leading them to a satisfying college experience. Going to and winning a couple of bowl games will do more for recruiting that explaining to recruits that they'll get to sit on the bench against Notre Dame. The goodies handed out by the bowls will last a lot longer than the injuries sustained against ND.

No he doesn't. You're using the same paint brush on all recruits and all recruits are not the same. Today's recruit wants to go somewhere where they will get a chance to play first and foremost. Second is yes, some recruits want to go to a winning program, but other recruits want the challenge of playing in a program that they can help make better (see Hugh Freeze and Ol Miss). Other recruits want the opportunity to be on tv.

Winning and going to bowl games always helps more than losing. Yet, if going to a bowl game always means a lower tier bowl, and you're satisfied with that, then go in peace. Nothing more needs to be said. But wouldn't you like to step on the field and go against kids from a bigger program once (or twice) in a season? Most of the kids that end up at smaller schools were passed over by bigger schools, either because of talent or for other reasons. Either way, there's a chip on their shoulder cause of it. Most "real" football players would love to compete against the big schools. Hence why I said, I can sell a recruit on playing bigger programs over another small school that perhaps neither them or their parents have heard of.

What is this the 1970s? I guess recruits don't have internet access and can't see UTEPs past results versus big schools. You sell a program by winning and going to bowl games, not getting your clock cleaned by Big 12 schools.

If you were a recruit and liked both schools equally, you're choosing between UTEP and UMass, would you choose UMass because they're playing at Notre Dame this year and UTEP would never play them? Or would you come to a school that has a greater chance of having a winning season and going to a bowl game?

Thank God you're not a recruiter, because you'd be fired. Explain how Hugh Freeze turned Ol Miss around if past failure is a reason you can't sell a program. Or Dan Mullen at Miss State. Schools too big? Then Jim McElwain at Colorado State before he left? How about Pat Hill at Fresno State before he left? Hill was known for grabbing kids that the bigger schools in the Pac 10 passed over and scheduling anyone to play against. He sold THAT to recruits. Not that they lost. He sold the chance to compete against them. That, besides coaching was the key to their success under him and in turn it raised the school's profile.

Like I said, if past failure is a reason not to sell a program or keeps you from scheduling tougher competition, then A. You shouldn't be in coaching and B. Fear never builds a winner.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT