ADVERTISEMENT

UTEP @ Arizona

groundrounds

MI Regular
Dec 3, 2017
The Mountains of New Mexico
I think bosscast has a stream. Thanks USAF.
Bosscast.net has it listed

As always, i'd recommend using chrome with add block. If you don't use add block....
Gonna-have-a-bad-time-meme-655x368.jpg

Thomas more aggressive tonight. Great to see Hawkins added to the mix.

Blow out... They have faded down the stretch in back to back games... AZ pulled their starters and they still kept scoring. The lack of depth is gonna be killer. Not to mention the young team...

Blow out... They have faded down the stretch in back to back games... AZ pulled their starters and they still kept scoring. The lack of depth is gonna be killer. Not to mention the young team...

we dont have any depth at all... and like you said freshman are learning.... made a lot of stupid mistakes tonight and it still looks like they are trying to find a scorer..... they moved really well on offense but it didnt look like they had much purpose or at least knew what that purpose was.....

I did like for the most part they were aggressive at times though

Reactions: EPTUTEP
6 of the 8 players that played went 5 for 30 shooting. Arizona played great perimeter defense.

Stripes: It was a veteran crew and only Thomas and Ezie fowled out for us, and it was close to the end of a losing game..The game wasn't disrupted by the refs. That gives us a benchmark as we go into conference play. Our bigs can play with poise.

Poor shooting night, but the guys are playing hard. Odigie is quickly becoming one of my favorites.

I thought the Arizona ball pressure, and overall defense was solid. However, we had way too many unforced turnovers, from all positions. I think Hawkins and Gilyard forced some bad shots, and that needs to improve. Overall, I didn't see much improvement from the NMSU game. Lots of areas to work on; which is pretty much what was expected.

I didn't get to watch or even listen, but once again judging from the score must have been an exasperating experience for the players, coaches and the viewers. With the exception of Odigie and Thomas it was an embarrassing shooting percentage for the rest of the team...5 for 30=16.6% ????. 22 turnovers; Arizona had 6. Looks once again like we were more competitive in the first half while we still had some legs and fouls left; then the lack of a bench set in.
Someone said earlier that this was Terry's throw away season and I hate that terminology, but it's getting tough to find any positives to build on.
Anyone have anything to say to contradict my sentiments?

I thought the Arizona ball pressure, and overall defense was solid. However, we had way too many unforced turnovers, from all positions. I think Hawkins and Gilyard forced some bad shots, and that needs to improve. Overall, I didn't see much improvement from the NMSU game. Lots of areas to work on; which is pretty much what was expected.

Ditto. I don’t care about the score, however I think this young group is going to encounter challenges developing an identity based upon what I’ve seen from them so far. The season is way young but I see 5 individuals on the court, and not much of a unit yet. Not at all discouraged but hoping to see rapid improvement in regards to team chemistry.

I didn't get to watch or even listen, but once again judging from the score must have been an exasperating experience for the players, coaches and the viewers. With the exception of Odigie and Thomas it was an embarrassing shooting percentage for the rest of the team...5 for 30=16.6% ????. 22 turnovers; Arizona had 6. Looks once again like we were more competitive in the first half while we still had some legs and fouls left; then the lack of a bench set in.
Someone said earlier that this was Terry's throw away season and I hate that terminology, but it's getting tough to find any positives to build on.
Anyone have anything to say to contradict my sentiments?

I think on paper it’s a bit misleading. If Zona had played half as well in the 1st half as they played in the 2nd, they’d have beat us by 40+.

I don’t consider this CRT’s “throw away season”, but my expectations are tempered. More important than the win-loss column, imo, is that the team shows a gradual but consistent improvement from beginning to mid to late season. That they become a cohesive unit and make each other better.

Ditto. I don’t care about the score, however I think this young group is going to encounter challenges developing an identity based upon what I’ve seen from them so far. The season is way young but I see 5 individuals on the court, and not much of a unit yet. Not at all discouraged but hoping to see rapid improvement in regards to team chemistry.
Completely agree FanatiCoog. The thing is, both NMSU and Arizona have ton of new players this year as well, and we've seen more cohensive units on their part. Hopefully, getting some experience on the road, as well as assimilating Hawkins into the group, will improve the on court results. Right now, it is rough watching at times; although the guys are giving effort.

Reactions: MineroFanatico
I have to think CRT has been more focused on recruiting than coaching.

Take a mental picture of the Arizona game on November 14th. Then take a mental picture on January 14th. If you can see a noticeable improvement, we're heading in the right direction. I wouldn't say the whole season is Terry's throw away, just the first half. Go Miners.

Reactions: minerfan_14
Jeter was just too much. I didn't know he was a Duke transfer? (They have 2). UTEP guards over commited to many time and cats shut them down.

CRT: Feed the beasts inside and let them attact fouls!

We definitely looked like boys playing a bigger more polished team. Arizona was getting offensive boards, blocking our shots into the rafters, and picking our pockets regularly. Their defense was stifling as well, but probably looked better than it is when going against our undersized inexperienced players.

Like others have said, we won't reach whatever peak we're capable of until later in the season. Early season games against a team like arizona were bound to look rough.

8 scholi players who are freshman and sophmores. This is not a good win for Arizona and may, I said may, hurt them come March unlike their win at UTEP a few years ago which actually helped them.

What did yall think of the rotation? I noticed Terry would sub like every possession so the players could rest. He would take out lik3 Hawkins and then put him in right away.

RT went with the future when recruiting. He did not go Juco route for a quick fix like many coaches do. He will however have to win a lot of games next year bc those new transfers that are ineligible this year should be ready and experienced next year. No excuses next year! Gilyard and Magee will be juniors as well.

BG's first year was tough to swallow because of all the losses. By the second year UTEP bball tickets were the hottest ticket in town. I think history is going to repeat itself.

Completely agree FanatiCoog. The thing is, both NMSU and Arizona have ton of new players this year as well, and we've seen more cohensive units on their part.
IMO, yes Arizona and NMSU have a ton of new players like we do, but the situations are completely different. Arizona's new players would probably start on 80-85%% of college basketball teams across the country. They have a completely different level of athlete to work with and they should look like a more cohesive unit than us 2 games into the season..

NMSU has added a ton of new players too, but 7 are JUCO players and 2 are players who transferred and sat last out last year and practiced with the team, and they played at Denver and UTAH, so they have experience at this level. They have way more depth than us and they play 6 players off the bench. Jans went for the "win now approach". NMSU is more experienced than us , even with all of the players they had to bring in. We led in the first half against them and were only down by 4 at the half and Hawkins didn't play. In the 2nd half , the depth advantage kicked in for NMSU and they pulled away.

These tough non-conference games are brutal, but they are going to have us playing like a more cohesive team when conference play starts. The top teams are going to win easily against us, but the middle and bottom of CUSa sucks and we will do good against them.

Anyone been a bit disappointed with ezeagu? Or however you spell it? He has not looked as athletic as I thought he would be... could be he just needs time

Anyone been a bit disappointed with ezeagu? Or however you spell it? He has not looked as athletic as I thought he would be... could be he just needs time
Had no basis for judgement on Eze except for couple of videos, but I guess I expected he and Efe to be interchangeable.

It's been two games. One against a top mid-major program, and one against a traditional power who is down and will struggle this year. Give em time. They are undermanned they will struggle.

Nope not at all. Like stated above, its only been 3 games into the season. Hawk, Lathon, Eze are all playing like true freshman early in the season, Efe is exceeding expectations so far. Even Terry said not to expect much this year. We are going to look bad and get blown out in many more games this season.

Reactions: axingfools1
its not so much about what he is doing... i understand missing defensive assignments or not being aggressive offensively what i am trying to say is he doesnt look as athletic as i thought he would be.... and like i said we only have 3 games to go by but i was expecting a much more explosive player... raw or not...

its not so much about what he is doing... i understand missing defensive assignments or not being aggressive offensively what i am trying to say is he doesnt look as athletic as i thought he would be.... and like i said we only have 3 games to go by but i was expecting a much more explosive player... raw or not...
I was actually thinking the same thing. There's a huge difference between high school and D1 athletes, and the adjustment to the speed of the game, especially for big men, takes time. Hopefully, that is the case with Eze. He definity looks strong, especially for a freshman. Love his attitude as well. He's a guy we really need to develop as an interior defender. Right now, we have issues defending the post, and looking at the current/future roster, Eze would seem the most likely to fill that role.

He's one of my favorite freshman. I do get what you're saying about the athleticism I think. Like he's a little stiff. But he definitely is a force defensively already

Reactions: axingfools1
He's one of my favorite freshman. I do get what you're saying about the athleticism I think. Like he's a little stiff. But he definitely is a force defensively already
He is athletic, but maybe not as explosive on offense so far. When he has room though look out. Maybe an out of bounds play, a trailing dunk or a set alley oop can get him going. He needs to be an anchor defensively and may thrive more on the back line in a zone defense with Verhoeven. He will get better man to man.

From what I have seen in Instagram the guys are practicing pick n roll also. I think he fits that slot well offensively.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT